• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

Same as its always been - he's a decent midtable player of dubious character, and we've had our fill of David Bentleys over the years
It's funny, you slate Maddison over his character based on comments when he was a kid (any interview in the last couple of years he comes across well), but you hold up Lloris as some example of moral fortitude yet he goes off drink driving. I know which I think is worse out of those two.
If you don't rate him as a footballer fair enough even if you are totally wrong but the character thing is a load of crap.

It's funny, you slate Maddison over his character based on comments when he was a kid (any interview in the last couple of years he comes across well), but you hold up Lloris as some example of moral fortitude yet he goes off drink driving. I know which I think is worse out of those two.
If you don't rate him as a footballer fair enough even if you are totally wrong but the character thing is a load of crap.
Why has Southgate ostracised him for about 6 years under his 'no dingdongheads' policy? Why are no serious clubs going for him? He's just long been known as a bad egg to have around

Substantiate this

Why are all the clubs that have done due diligence going nowhere near him? Why are United going so clearly for Mount instead? And find any Southgate interview where he's asked about Maddison and watch the look on his face/the awkwardness of his answer as he tries to be diplomatic.

Why has Southgate ostracised him for about 6 years under his 'no dingdongheads' policy? [/B]Why are no serious clubs going for him? He's just long been known as a bad egg to have around

If that's your argument - why has Southgate included him in the current squad?
Must not be any issue anymore based on your hypothesis.
So..... sorted. Happy days.

Why are all the clubs that have done due diligence going nowhere near him? Why are United going so clearly for Mount instead? And find any Southgate interview where he's asked about Maddison and watch the look on his face/the awkwardness of his answer as he tries to be diplomatic.

So silly it's brilliant the way you angle your agendas ... there are so many players that move, grow up etc ... just one straw man example to support your delusion

Rodgers volunteered this about Maddison: "Whether James has the armband or not, he acts like a leader on the pitch. He's one of the few voices in our changing room.

He's the guy who can call the game, see the game, is very honest and reflective on it but also looks to inspire. He doesn't sit there and say nothing. He's normally very open and very productive with what he says." Rodgers didn't have to say that.

Add to that Maddison's ability and that sounds like exactly the kind of player we have been missing. We need leaders on the pitch. And we need creative players who are happy to get behind the ball as well. I've long hoped we would sign Maddison and if we do and he stays fit I think he could make a real difference in our performance as a team.

Last edited:
Rogers volunteered this about Maddison: "Whether James has the armband or not, he acts like a leader on the pitch. He's one of the few voices in our changing room.

He's the guy who can call the game, see the game, is very honest and reflective on it but also looks to inspire. He doesn't sit there and say nothing. He's normally very open and very productive with what he says." Rogers didn't have to say that.

Add to that Maddison's ability and that sounds like exactly the kind of player we have been missing. We need leaders on the pitch. And we need creative players who are happy to get behind the ball as well. I've long hoped we would sign Maddison and if we do and he stays fit I think he could make a real difference in our performance as a team.

Is that Brendan Rodger’s?

The man who’s judgement of that squad got them relegated.

Is that Brendan Rodger’s?

The man who’s judgement of that squad got them relegated.

I'm not a fan of Rodgers as a manager. But I don't think he has to be a good manager to make an observation about a player's attitude in the dressing room, just a reasonably attentive observer. (I did spell his name incorrectly, though. Have corrected it now)

This is what his Norwich manager said about Maddison (after Maddison had left so no reason for sugar coating.):

'From the first day, I realised how special Maddison could be and the praise for him is well deserved,' Canaries boss Farke said in December.

'We had to be patient to have the time to work with him. He always had a great attitude. 'I remember when I first arrived, he was a bit like a kid and we had to build him up, also in his physical terms and tactical understanding of the game.

'Although he was that young, he was always greedy to improve each day. 'He is a confident lad, but also still finds a good balance between being confident, that you have to be in his position, but also being self-critical about wanting to improve your game.'

And his old Aberdeen manager: "“He was on big money for a young boy when he arrived but he was straight into it – he embraced the challenge. The players who come from England and do well up here are the ones who don’t have that snobbish attitude about our game and James just mucked right in.
....He had a fight just to get into our team at that stage but he was prepared to work, which is always a good sign....I still speak to James and he’s on record as saying that. He’s always been very mature: when he came to us he was 19 but seemed five or six years older than he actually was.."

That was in November 2022. Five yeas after he left and Derek McInnes still keeps in touch with Maddison. I don't think you would do that with a player who was a disruptive influence on the team you are trying to manage.

We probably won't get him anyway (unfortunately).

So GB who i assume is a fully grown adult? Has a grudge against someone who made a comment about Spurs when he was 15/16? Over 10 years ago? Thats incredible.

Back