• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

Footballers are an even worse case, they generally come from a poor background and are not taught how to deal with money and fame. Unless they have a very stable and supportive family they can easily run into problems with people using them.

Sorry for cutting your post down ( i do not disagree with any of it) but this bit is the one i wanted to remark about. Having coached many younger players at the pro level you are spot on about their background. Most if not all of the younger players who end up in clubs academys are from as you say poor backgrounds and are fetted by their peers as being special ( for becoming involved with pro clubs). Sadly ( all though it has changed since i was involved at that level) their schooling was a afterthought and most were not really schooled well and their education took in most cases a back seat.

Thankfully it has changed but a lot of thses kids are held up by those around them ( including both their age groups and their elders) and it does effect them ( not always for the better).

Money oversimplifies mental health. I know couples that don't have two spare coppers to rub together that are the happiest couple going, I know other individuals making loads of money but aren't happy.
People are complex and money is only one factor in what brings happiness and mental well-being. You just have to look at Robin Williams to see that money is not just a simple answer to life's problems.

Footballers are an even worse case, they generally come from a poor background and are not taught how to deal with money and fame. Unless they have a very stable and supportive family they can easily run into problems with people using them.
It looks like Dele has run into some of those probs and doesn't have a proper support network in place to help him deal with those issues. He should be pitied not slaughtered and I think football in general lets the likes of him down badly.
Money doesn't give the knowledge to deal with such issues, education does and clubs should be more proactive in providing that education.

All valid points although I'm not sure about pitying Dele, he's made it to a higher level than most could dream of but couldn't sustain it, it's unlikely we'll ever truly know why.

However money does indeed guve you the ability to access support that people aren't access. If the people who earn stupid money spend it on hookers / fancy cars / 20k plus bar bills in a night / lawyers for a yet another DUI or sexual assault case, that's an active choice to do that rather than accessing actually helpful assistance that should be there for everyone but is limited to wealthy folk. Poor people who don't make it as a footballer get that chance to tinkle it away.

My point was a tangent on another posters tangent and mainly comes from disenchantment from poor mental health services in the UK because if you can't pay up just be grateful for the dogbrick service you receive. It's not appropriate thread for the rant, not like moaning about it would do anything nor was I countering any specific points made by Greys or Barry so I'll stop yammering.

Hope we sign Maddison though!!

It's funny how everyone is talking about the Maddison deal like we have him in the bag and it will be the end of the world if we don't get him, yet we haven't even made a bid yet.

It's funny how everyone is talking about the Maddison deal like we have him in the bag and it will be the end of the world if we don't get him, yet we haven't even made a bid yet.
Hopefully, most will have learned the lesson from Slot etc in the manager hunt, but I doubt it.

All valid points although I'm not sure about pitying Dele, he's made it to a higher level than most could dream of but couldn't sustain it, it's unlikely we'll ever truly know why.

However money does indeed guve you the ability to access support that people aren't access. If the people who earn stupid money spend it on hookers / fancy cars / 20k plus bar bills in a night / lawyers for a yet another DUI or sexual assault case, that's an active choice to do that rather than accessing actually helpful assistance that should be there for everyone but is limited to wealthy folk. Poor people who don't make it as a footballer get that chance to tinkle it away.

My point was a tangent on another posters tangent and mainly comes from disenchantment from poor mental health services in the UK because if you can't pay up just be grateful for the dogbrick service you receive. It's not appropriate thread for the rant, not like moaning about it would do anything nor was I countering any specific points made by Greys or Barry so I'll stop yammering.

Hope we sign Maddison though!!

There is no doubt that having disposable cash and being able to buy assistance trumps having no cash and not being able to afford support, and relying on an underfunded NHS.

But of course you also have the added stress that comes with fame, money, attention and huge pressures. Players families have a vision of their boy being the next big thing. That’s a lot of weight to carry as a teenager.

If you do make it, I think it’s often easier on the way up than once you've arrived. Before making it rich you can have a singular focus and fight with no distraction. Huge wealth is a weight. Spending it is a responsibility. How you share your good fortune, could be a full time job. Most who make millions have decades of experience behind them. These guys have scant education or life experience. Suddenly they have all manner of additional pressures.

But I take your point, would I prefer to be skint, homeless and have mental health challenges or a millionaire with stresses? Point taken.

Last edited:
That's the easy bit. Terms with Leicester are the harder part
I'm trying to think of the other players (of decent value) they have to offload?

As financially they're buggered. Maddison has a year left? ...the balls in our court. The keeper and CBs are priority. Although it would be nice to get JM in reasonably sharpish, he's not the urgent one.

I'm trying to think of the other players (of decent value) they have to offload?

As financially they're buggered. Maddison has a year left? ...the balls in our court. The keeper and CBs are priority. Although it would be nice to get JM in reasonably sharpish, he's not the urgent one.

Barnes

Daka, Castagne and Soumare all had fans on here IIRC prior to them moving to Leicester. Ndidi isn't bad and Souter looked very good in the world cup.

They'll get parachute payments, so will be ok if they manage to get promoted in the next 2-3 years

Daka, Castagne and Soumare all had fans on here IIRC prior to them moving to Leicester. Ndidi isn't bad and Souter looked very good in the world cup.

They'll get parachute payments, so will be ok if they manage to get promoted in the next 2-3 years
You realise that the parachute payments are only 55% in year 1 and then 45% in year 2 and then 20% in year 3 of the standard broadcasting payment that every PL team gets? No additional TV fee, no PL prize money, likely reduced ticket income and sponsorship revenue. This for a club who were already reliant on PL money for a large portion of their income.

You realise that the parachute payments are only 55% in year 1 and then 45% in year 2 and then 20% in year 3 of the standard broadcasting payment that every PL team gets? No additional TV fee, no PL prize money, likely reduced ticket income and sponsorship revenue. This for a club who were already reliant on PL money for a large portion of their income.
That still dwarfs what every other team in their league gets. Its a big advantage for being able to bounce back

That still dwarfs what every other team in their league gets. Its a big advantage for being able to bounce back
They have more income than the other championship clubs but they will have the outgoings of a PL club. They need to get their wage bill down or they will be in trouble financially and also will need to meet FFP rules which are tighter than in the PL.

They have more income than the other championship clubs but they will have the outgoings of a PL club. They need to get their wage bill down or they will be in trouble financially and also will need to meet FFP rules which are tighter than in the PL.

In the last financials their wages were 85% of turnover at £182m/£214m. Not just tv revenue but also from that they will lose some sponsorship money. But also europa league money. So they are in a financial mess. Maddison won't be enough i don't think. Although would help. (This is for 21/22 season, 22/23 hasn't been released yet).

wage-to-revenue-ratio-of-top-20-teams-in-money-league-based-v0-k6chbh7qifea1.jpg

Back