• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

James Maddison

Been such a joy watching him play. He's such an exciting player.

Interested to hear from older fans is he anything like Glenn Hoddle? I never got to see Hoddle play but I can imagine it must have been similar?

Glenn always felt continental/South American even. He seemed to glide, not run. Effortless. Two brilliant feet, such vision. He was a world class player, just untouchable when on his game (which thankfully for us was most of the time). Early days for Maddison, and his style/energy are superb. what a fun Spurs player for sure. I don't think I have ever seen a player at Spurs like Glenn...Berba in some respects? Kane in terms of his long-range passing? But neither had the 'total Glenn vibe' and way...what a player...

Hoddle never look hurried and would excel in medium to long passes...he'd do something outrageous every game with a first time pass or a long distance chip that would surprise everyone.

Maddison is quick turns and short zippy passes...I'd say quite different.

Hoddle never look hurried and would excel in medium to long passes...he'd do something outrageous every game with a first time pass or a long distance chip that would surprise everyone.

Maddison is quick turns and short zippy passes...I'd say quite different.

Different era players as well, Maddison's constant movement/energy is much more the modern game than players of Hoddle's era

Glenn always felt continental/South American even. He seemed to glide, not run. Effortless. Two brilliant feet, such vision. He was a world class player, just untouchable when on his game (which thankfully for us was most of the time). Early days for Maddison, and his style/energy are superb. what a fun Spurs player for sure. I don't think I have ever seen a player at Spurs like Glenn...Berba in some respects? Kane in terms of his long-range passing? But neither had the 'total Glenn vibe' and way...what a player...
Where he and Maddison are similar is that they both demand the ball wherever they are and whoever they are being marked. Stevie P said Glenn told him to always give him the ball, Maddison seems the same, and as soon as he got the ball, the attackers were off on a run, which Glenn picked out more than not.

Last edited:
Both hugely talented, intelligent and inventive, but also very different. Maddison is kind of dashing, clever and cheeky whereas Glenn just oozed class and stylishness in a transcendant, composed way not seen before nor since. He was quite simply incomparable.

Both hugely talented, intelligent and inventive, but also very different. Maddison is kind of dashing, clever and cheeky whereas Glenn just oozed class and stylishness in a transcendant, composed way not seen before nor since. He was quite simply incomparable.

Le tissier is the closest i can think of. A shabby version of glenn.

What a player.
Looks more like Zidane, who scored 95 club goals in 506 games.
Glenn got 118 in 544 although to be fair, at Swindon and Cheatski he was a sweeper, so only counting Spurs and Monaco he got 115 in 446.

I.e. Better than Zidane.

What a player.
Looks more like Zidane, who scored 95 club goals in 506 games.
Glenn got 118 in 544 although to be fair, at Swindon and Cheatski he was a sweeper, so only counting Spurs and Monaco he got 115 in 446.

I.e. Better than Zidane.
But Zidane done it at the highest level and won European trophies aswell as world cups.

Back