• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK Thread

If I had a choice of Townsend and Bolasie, I'd go for Bolasie every day of the week! And, going by reports, if it's Ade out, Bolasie in, it's a fudging no-brainer! The transfer fee would be paid by the reduced wages in no time!

It's simply the Wanchope factor.

Townsend's far more effective - it's just shiny new toy syndrome
Disagree. My ideal would have been Zaha, I think you need someone with that ability to go round people using pure skill from a stand still position. Id say Bolasie has that, of course his end product needs to improve, but if Poch thinks he can coach that into him Im all for it....

Disagree. My ideal would have been Zaha, I think you need someone with that ability to go round people using pure skill from a stand still position. Id say Bolasie has that, of course his end product needs to improve, but if Poch thinks he can coach that into him Im all for it....

I would be concerned that we would end up paying top whack for a player who has just had a hot run of form and who will shortly drop back to their normal level of performances and at 26 is unlikely to increase in value.

Right now I know you are permanently on the wind up, or your judgement of a player is simply awful!

he's right - Townsend is more effective - better goal scoring ratio, better assist ratio, better key pass and chance created ratio - hell he even has more interceptions and more tackles.

and what's worrying is that Townsend is the least effective of all our attacking players (especially in terms of defensive contribution). we'd literally only be buying him because he's pulled a few tricks on MOTD.

Last edited:
we'd literally only be buying him because he's pulled a few tricks on MOTD.
To be honest I don't know whether this guy is any good or not. I've not watched much Crystal Palace this season. One thing I do know, however, is that our transfer targets are unlikely to be based purely on who catches the eye of Mitchell, Pochettino, Levy and Baldini on MOTD. If we're after him (which is probably not true) then I'd be fairly confident it's because our scouts have spent a lot of time watching him, and not because he has a good YouTube video / MOTD compilation.

To be honest I don't know whether this guy is any good or not. I've not watched much Crystal Palace this season. One thing I do know, however, is that our transfer targets are unlikely to be based purely on who catches the eye of Mitchell, Pochettino, Levy and Baldini on MOTD. If we're after him (which is probably not true) then I'd be fairly confident it's because our scouts have spent a lot of time watching him, and not because he has a good YouTube video / MOTD compilation.

yeah of course, that was a little facetious of me. however id imagine that is the reason why so many here seem to be of the opinion he'd be good enough.

there doesn't seem to be anything in the article to back up the headline

he's right - Townsend is more effective - better goal scoring ratio, better assist ratio, better key pass and chance created ratio - hell he even has more interceptions and more tackles.

and what's worrying is that Townsend is the least effective of all our attacking players (especially in terms of defensive contribution). we'd literally only be buying him because he's pulled a few tricks on MOTD.

That tells you a lot more about how useless stats are than anything else, Townsend hasn't looked a danger to an opposition defence all year!

no it tells you how people over rate players they see for other teams and under rate those which they see on a regular basis.
Believe me im not under rating Townsend, im a fan of his but he aint no where near as effective as Bolasi!
What has Townsend shown this past season that leads you to believe that i am under rating him?

Believe me im not under rating Townsend, im a fan of his but he aint no where near as effective as Bolasi!
What has Townsend shown this past season that leads you to believe that i am under rating him?

effective - that's quite a vague word on it's own, in a previous post i listed all the things in which Townsend is factually more effective at than Bolasie .... what exactly do you think Bolasie is more effective at than Townsend?

goals? nope
assists? nope
creativity, as in creating chances for others? nope
passing? nope

Townsend is more effective than Bolasie in all of those areas (and then several more on top of that)

the only thing Bolasie is better than Townsend at is dribbling/taking players on

i don't even rate Townsend, id sell him in an instant but if the option is to replace him with someone who is worse in every single quantifiable aspect then id have to say id rather keep him

effective - that's quite a vague word on it's own, in a previous post i listed all the things in which Townsend is factually more effective at than Bolasie .... what exactly do you think Bolasie is more effective at than Townsend?

Townsend is more effective than Bolasie in all of those areas (and then several more on top of that)

the only thing Bolasie is better than Townsend at is dribbling/taking players on

i don't even rate Townsend, id sell him in an instant but if the option is to replace him with someone who is worse in every single quantifiable aspect then id have to say id rather keep him

Disagree, and lets be clear, both are not great players.

What Bolasie is much better at than Townsend is being involved in the game, occupying the opposition defenders, drawing defenders to him, keeping the pace/tempo of the game up. Every game I've seen him play (and I'll admit, its not that many), he is the type of player the opposition hates, constant pressure.

Townsend can be invisible for long periods of games, and that is a big problem, we can't carry passengers.

Disagree, and lets be clear, both are not great players.

What Bolasie is much better at than Townsend is being involved in the game, occupying the opposition defenders, drawing defenders to him, keeping the pace/tempo of the game up. Every game I've seen him play (and I'll admit, its not that many), he is the type of player the opposition hates, constant pressure.

Townsend can be invisible for long periods of games, and that is a big problem, we can't carry passengers.

i can see that, Townsend does go missing for large parts of the game - i can't say i watch Palace all too much so i can't comment on how Bolasie fares over 90 minutes. whether he is more effective than Townsend in the areas i mention can not really be argued as it's there in black and white.

Some of those stats are meaningless comparisons.assists- so player A passes to messi, messi beats two players and shoots, goal. player B passes to Wiltshire, Wiltshire trips over own laces and breaks leg, no goal. Not really a fair comparison.
I wanted to put neck and he is taken round the back of the goal and put out of his misery, but I thought that was asking to much.

Some of those stats are meaningless comparisons.assists- so player A passes to messi, messi beats two players and shoots, goal. player B passes to Wiltshire, Wiltshire trips over own laces and breaks leg, no goal. Not really a fair comparison.
I wanted to put neck and he is taken round the back of the goal and put out of his misery, but I thought that was asking to much.

of course looking at one stat in isolation is meaningless - which is why assists backed up with chances created/key passes paint a much better picture.

and ultimately this discussion is centered around effectiveness, which is about what is produced on the pitch. a player who takes longer to score/assist/create than another can hardly be claimed to be more effective can he?

Bolasie is a show boater - it catches the eye of those watching and is entertaining, but it isn't effective and doesn't get results.

Back