• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK Thread

I wouldn't worry about the off-the-field stuff. He can drive drunk every night if he wants, as long as he produces the goods on the pitch.

You have obviously never been affected by a drunk dr.iver then. Watch a father's life destroyed by his daughter's death at the hands of a drunk drunk and then make that statement

I said Spain, Portugal, France and Italy.

So that counts out everyone except Lloris from your list.

And of course Ginola and Malbranque who you've already mentioned. Kanoute wasn't too bad either and neither was Ekotto for a little while, although im sure you'll claim they don't count as being French (even though that's where they both learned the game)

that's five french players (including Lloris) alone that had a good spell with us - maybe you should keep it to Spain, Italy and Portugal? Although that still doesn't really make much sense - does Postiga and Rocha mean any player we sign from Portugal is destined for failure? Borderline superstitous if you ask me :lol:

And of course Ginola and Malbranque who you've already mentioned. Kanoute wasn't too bad either and neither was Ekotto for a little while, although im sure you'll claim they don't count as being French (even though that's where they both learned the game)

that's five french players (including Lloris) alone that had a good spell with us - maybe you should keep it to Spain, Italy and Portugal? Although that still doesn't really make much sense - does Postiga and Rocha mean any player we sign from Portugal is destined for failure? Border line superstitous if you ask me :lol:
Narrowing the pool just seems like a way of restricting your options when the competition are expanding theirs.

Quite.

Since foreign signings became common place we've only really been in a good position as a club the last 10 years or so(?) and during this period i can't think of too many players signed of Spanish/Portuguese/Italian descent - certainly not enough to draw any kind of pattern from. But yeah agree that 'narrowing the pool' is counter productive anyway and any perceived pattern that Pirate55 see's would be down to poor individual signings rather than any implication that players from these countries and THFC just don't mix

Quite.

Since foreign signings became common place we've only really been in a good position as a club the last 10 years or so(?) and during this period i can't think of too many players signed of Spanish/Portuguese/Italian descent - certainly not enough to draw any kind of pattern from. But yeah agree that 'narrowing the pool' is counter productive anyway and any perceived pattern that Pirate55 see's would be down to poor individual signings rather than any implication that players from these countries and THFC just don't mix

Yep. We also need to remember that the club has done quite a lot in the last year and a bit to improve player recruitment or at least the people involved in it.

I wouldn't worry about the off-the-field stuff. He can drive drunk every night if he wants, as long as he produces the goods on the pitch.
If he did then I'm sure the long spell he would spend in jail would ensure he couldn't produce the goods on the pitch.

I am in no way advocating his drink driving in my messages where I have expressed my interest in us signing him to play up front for Spurs. He has broken the law and deserves to be punished for that. I just wouldn't automatically discount him as a signing as a result of that. If it was out of character, he has shown/is showing remorse and uses it as a warning and a lesson to buckle down then the next club he signs for will benefit. Of course I cannot comment on this without knowing the player personally, but I would hope that our club are talking to some of his England under 21 colleagues to get a feeling for Berahino's character.

Quite.

My essential point is that when buying from Mediteranian countries we don't have a great track record. Ginola, Steed and Kanoute all were proven quantities in the PL before we signed them. I think we would be better off buying from the PL than Spain, France, Italy and Portugal. Far less risk. Our latest foreign recruitments from these countries haven't exactly been great successes here in the main, Lloris excepted.

Last edited:
My essential point is that when buying from Mediteranian countries we don't have a great track record. Ginola, Steed and Kanoute all were proven quantities in the PL before we signed them. I think we would be better off buying from the PL than Spain, France, Italy and Portugal. Far less risk. Our latest foreign recruitments from these countries haven't exactly been great successes here in the main, Lloris excepted.

The trouble with that approach is that we will be buying in an inflated market, which would limit us somewhat when the general feeling seems to be we have to break even on our transfer dealings. We'd also dramatically limit the potential ability of the players we could hope to sign, the best players in the league would be out of our reach (either financially or lack of 'draw' on our part) and the younger players with the best reputation, in terms of potential, would most likey also be similarly unobtainable.

We should be looking for players that have the right attributes and potential above all else and i don't think the nationalities of previous transfer deals should be taken in to any consideration whatsoever.

The trouble with that approach is that we will be buying in an inflated market, which would limit us somewhat when the general feeling seems to be we have to break even on our transfer dealings. We'd also dramatically limit the potential ability of the players we could hope to sign, the best players in the league would be out of our reach (either financially or lack of 'draw' on our part) and the younger players with the best reputation, in terms of potential, would most likey also be similarly unobtainable.

We should be looking for players that have the right attributes and potential above all else and i don't think the nationalities of previous transfer deals should be taken in to any consideration whatsoever.

That is where we disagree. It is evident to me that players who shine in those leagues are not necessarily going to shine in the EPL. Let's go to leagues where we have had success for the risk buys, especially Dutch, Croatia, Belgian etc and give the Med a miss.

so whether a player succeeds or not is predetermined by his nationality?

One can flatter to deceive in certain leagues - as we have found out to our cost!

Better to pay inflated prices for more likely proven results IMO, than shopping in bargain basement pools, which carry humongous risk and aren't even cheap by comparison - Solly and Lamela, for example.

One can flatter to deceive in certain leagues - as we have found out to our cost!

Better to pay inflated prices for more likely proven results IMO, than shopping in bargain basement pools, which carry humongous risk and aren't even cheap by comparison - Solly and Lamela, for example.

Do you think that is the approach that all Premier League clubs should take?

It is better to look at the attributes of the player than to consider their nationality or the nation that they play in.

As well as technique I think to play successfully in the PL a player needs to be prepared to work hard and, above all, be brave.

Do you think that is the approach that all Premier League clubs should take?

Clubs have to decide their own recruitment policy depending on their status (eg relegation battlers or champions League) and finances (Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea at one end and say WBA and Burnley, at the other.).We fall between those two extremes. We can't afford the best, but we can buy some very good proven players (eg Benteke) as well as try and pick up gems from other leagues (Eriksen, Lloris , Modric, Berbs ) that is the way forward for us as it stands.

Clubs have to decide their own recruitment policy depending on their status (eg relegation battlers or champions League) and finances (Emirates Marketing Project and Chelsea at one end and say WBA and Burnley, at the other.).We fall between those two extremes. We can't afford the best, but we can buy some very good proven players (eg Benteke) as well as try and pick up gems from other leagues (Eriksen, Lloris , Modric, Berbs ) that is the way forward for us as it stands.

I was just wondering whether you thought that there was something about players from those leagues that you felt makes them unsuitable for the Premier League or whether it was that out recruitment from there has been a bit duff.

I just look at what is realistically available that's better than what we have and could we actually afford them :)

Players like Ings and Delph on a free (or reduced fee) are well worth getting as they have the league experience now and have a lower initial value

Likewise players like depay and barahino for £20m each to me is a no brainer as I personally can only see them appreciating in value too

I don't think the nationality is an issue. It's the ability to hit the gourd running so you can settle quicker.. And take the pressure off to actually perform. Look at the players at Southampton who have done that. It makes a huge difference

That is where we disagree. It is evident to me that players who shine in those leagues are not necessarily going to shine in the EPL. Let's go to leagues where we have had success for the risk buys, especially Dutch, Croatia, Belgian etc and give the Med a miss.

I don't really get this, are you saying you'd have passed up on buying Ronaldo from Lisbon because he's from the Med? Seems ludicrous to me, I must be misunderstanding your point?

trix on ings:

We are very interested yes, and Storts had this bang on a while back :smiley20:
Very much being pushed by Mitchell, this one.

Back