• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

ITK Thread

I also would not have been happy at 25 million spent on Lallana. Agree with GB. Eriksen is better. I also feel/hope Townsend could be coached in to being as good as Lallana.

As long as this doesn't mean that we're not backing Poch, then I'm ok with it.

Comparisons can be made to AVB's transfer targets here. There was widely held belief that we didn't sign the players that AVB wanted us to get and that that naturally hindered his work.

I want to believe that we will support Poch by signing the types of players that will help him, and us, be successful. Lallana was too expensive but let's hope we get others that Poch wants.

Poch isn't stupid. He's not going to want to put himself £25m+ in the red (knowing he'll need to balance the books by the end of the window), on a player for a position that we are already strong, when there are far more pressing priorities. I doubt Lallana has ever been talked about by him and Baldini.

Comparisons can be made to AVB's transfer targets here. There was widely held belief that we didn't sign the players that AVB wanted us to get and that that naturally hindered his work.
I want to believe that we will support Poch by signing the types of players that will help him, and us, be successful. Lallana was too expensive but let's hope we get others that Poch wants.

The major problem with that is that avb wanted the most exspensive players at a massive premium and the next player in line did not exist it was him or nothing (mouts ,hulk ETC.)
So in actuall fact avb hindered himself by being a stubborn sulky little princess

I don't think comparisons can be made, AVB wanted players at the very top end of the price list to play in positions where we needed strengthening, Lallana doesn't fit that bill as we don't need strengthening there and his price isn't at the top end just over-inflated by the fact he has had one good season and he's English.

It means Poch is backing our own guys to succeed which is even better.

Poch was given the job on the strict condition that he had to do it with the bulk of the current squad. We'll see only minimal activity this year I'm sure.

It's all out there. Read between the lines of the club statement and a number of articles like this one.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...n-back-of-developing-saints-team-9442745.html
The Argentine will be expected to work with the squad he inherits at White Hart Lane rather than conduct any large-scale overhaul.

And it's just common sense and it's Levy's whole strategy. The players are good enough because they were good enough when they were recruited.

I'm willing to bet one of the deciding factors of going with the Poch over FDB was that the Poch felt comfortable with the players whereas FDB had a list of players he wanted to bring in.

I dont think its a 'strict condition' per se but I do think its a requirement that he could use the majority of the squad and no major upheavel in terms of numbers etc. I do think Poch will no doubt want a few of his own personnel and transfers (not from Southampton neccessarily) which is understandable and we would be silly to say no you cant. I think once again we will break even and there will be two or three out goings with a few replacements coming in within key areas.

There probably won't be a lot of in movement, but as is DL's way the INs will have to be funded mostly by the OUTs, of which there should be a few (guessing one Cb out of dawson and Kabool, at least 2 midfielders (could be anyone of lennon, townsend, siggy, chadli and maybe a striker in Ade/Soldado to go depending on what Poch needs).

Poch was given the job on the strict condition that he had to do it with the bulk of the current squad. We'll see only minimal activity this year I'm sure.

He also doesn't really like transfers. He said at the beginning of last summer that he only wanted 2-3 maximum in because he didn't want the disruption of a turnover.

He also doesn't really like transfers. He said at the beginning of last summer that he only wanted 2-3 maximum in because he didn't want the disruption of a turnover.

90% of managers have that ethos, Im not sure that equates to them not liking transfers....

For Saints news he is as good as you will get. Spot on with most things. Respected by Saints fan as the most reliable on issues relating to them.

Thank you.
But I suppose that only means he's pretty well aware of the Southampton perspective of potential interest.
So he may be pretty in the dark about any discussions that Baldini and Pochettino have.

I'm not sure about whether this would be a bad move or not. Could Lamela, Eriksen and Lallana all properly work together as an advanced trio behind a striker and having two of Paulinho/Sandro/Dembele/Capoue behind them?
Also, if Liverpool get Lallana to join alongside Lambert it adds a nice little axis that could aid them in strengthening their squad and fighting on multiple fronts.

Buit, we aren't Chelsea. Shouldn't buy people to prevent others getting them. Even if it would be hilarious to do it to Liverpool again.

i hate to be the guy that complains but can we have this discussion stuff in the General Transfer Discussion thread and not here?

I keep getting my hopes up that we're about to sign somebody when i see a new page on this thread but its just been a lot of discussion recently. Maybe just have only ITK contributions in the ITK thread?

Not really transfer rumours, but anyway ...

[Update 38] BEN on Pochettino's schedule

Who: BEN
Where: SO
When: 2nd June

BEN said:
Poch starts work End June/Start July
was with somone close to him last night he needed a break after long season he will watch games from argentina.
Poch coming back to London end June

[Di Marzio] Roma continues to look for ways to add depth since they will be back in the Champions League next season. Their new target for the midfield is Tottenham’s Dembele’, the giallorossi’s sporting director Sabatini really likes the Belgian midfielder, in the past he was seen as an alternative to Pjanic. While Roma has yet to make a concrete offer they are very interested in Dembele’.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/calciomercato/roma-is-interested-in-dembele-for-the-midfield/

I'd bite their hand off for anything close to what we paid for him. Especially with Banega being available cheaply as an upgrade.

Back