• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

It Evens Itself Out Over A Season - The Ref's A ****

Who is the worst recent Premier League referee?

• Howard "Red" Webb

Votes: 24 47.1%
  • Chris "What a Foy" Foy

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Mark "Emotional" Clattenburg

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Mike "Give us a Clue" Dean

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uriah "Two Tickets to the UR Show" Rennie

Votes: 3 5.9%
  • Mike "Beachball" Jones

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A.N.Other

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters
Thing is that looks at incidents in isolation as in "they should've had that penalty given it would've made the game 2-1 not a 1-1 draw", only problem is we know that isn't always the case penalties are missed, the mindset of an opponent changes at 2-1 rather than 1-1 and who knows they could well have come back and won the game 3-2 not lost it 2-1.

What needs addressing is the poor standard of refereeing overall not just these "controversial" incidents, missing a foul on the half way line is just as bad as missing an offside or penalty.

There was a thread on here a few months back where it was discussed that we were getting shafted by ref's, unfortunately some posters refused to believe it and wheeled out the old excuses about it evening out and that we only talk about the decisions that go against us. I think this is about as conclusive proof as your going to get that that theory is BS !

Interesting study, but you can't read too much into it... for one thing it doesn't take into account momentum, or the consequences of a wrong decision. For example, Spurs against Chelsea in the semi-final - I presume that in this analysis the 'goal-that-wasn't' would be chalked off leaving the score at 4-1, and so no change in the outcome (a Chelsea win). Whereas in reality, the whole game would have been different if that goal had been called correctly at the time.

I also don't know how they react to incorrect red card decisions; how do they change the score ou outcome based on a red card being given or not given incorrectly?

Still, does this study support the idea of video replays of important incidents? The study says there were 1348 key decisions in total; that's 3.5 per match. Would people be willing to see games stop to assess 3.5 incidents per match on average?

Maybe a challenge system would be better, where each team is allowed to challenge one decision per match so that it goes to a video replay. Given that teams allegedly had between 2 and 16 key decisions going against them over the whole season, having 1 challenge per match should theoretically be enough to overturn a lot of the incorrect decisions.

I agree that you have to ignore the points tally but it does show which teams have had bad decisions against them. Yet another argument to introduce technology.

On a side note, am I the only one who thinks it's weird how people always talk about briging in "technology"? I can't think of any other context in which the word is used like that.... I can't quite put my finger on why, but it really gets on my tits.....!

14 points between us and Newc

MNU 37 29 5 3 57 92
MNC 37 27 7 3 69 88
TOT 37 22 6 9 26 72
ARS 37 21 6 10 25 69
CHE 37 18 7 12 19 61
NEW 37 17 7 13 2 58

YES!

3.5 x 20 seconds = 1 minute

pales in comparison to the amount of time players waste when they surround the ref and argue the toss over yellow/red cards they know they have no chance of getting rescinded

Shawcross' dive to save our shot and Ade's onside goal and we would be playing foolham for 3rd place.

It's that kind of brick that tinkles me off.

Shawcross' dive to save our shot and Ade's onside goal and we would be playing foolham for 3rd place.

It's that kind of brick that tinkles me off.

any one of Ade's 4 wrongly disallowed goals would see us in a much healthier position and would have rendered a lot of the anti-Harry sentiment hollow. All 4 of them? we'd be clear 3rd, done and dusted.

any one of Ade's 4 wrongly disallowed goals would see us in a much healthier position and would have rendered a lot of the anti-Harry sentiment hollow. All 4 of them? we'd be clear 3rd, done and dusted.

Come on, where's your Tottenham spirit? Throwing away a 10 point lead is a pretty good achievement, but if Harry and the players had put their heart and soul in it I'm sure they could've thrown away a 19/22 point lead also. It takes real dedication, but we have the players and the coach to make that happen. Pure magic.

Interesting site, and just shows how a lot of decisions are not clear-cut. They say that Norwich should have had a penalty against us for Adebayor barging someone over in the box, but personally I would argue that's 0% a penalty.

As you say its all in the eye of the individual and all ( mostly ) decisions can be objective. Never been a supporter who looks for blame and reasons why we win or lose on decisions.

Come on, where's your Tottenham spirit? Throwing away a 10 point lead is a pretty good achievement, but if Harry and the players had put their heart and soul in it I'm sure they could've thrown away a 19/22 point lead also. It takes real dedication, but we have the players and the coach to make that happen. Pure magic.

what a great post

You must be so proud

](*,)

Mick, this is a fascinating post.

Whilst we (as Spurs fans) can quite rightly feel aggrieved about this report, my heart goes out to Blackburn, as ÔÇ£Blackburn would not yet be doomed while Aston Villa would go to Norwich on Sunday with their Premier League status still very much in jeopardy.ÔÇØ

In trying to contextualize this, do you think this is down to:
1. FIFA - for not providing the necessary support (or technology) to our officials?
2. The fact that our officials are (in the main) an incompetent bunch?
3. A wider, more covert form of corruption that determines the final standings in the league?

As I have said in other posts, I would personally rank this in the order I provided above, because I honestly believe that all of these are contributory factors.

The whole process of giving a screen to the 4th official could happen immediately, goalline technology wouldn't be necessary IMV. We know the 4th official looks at one, all we have to do is to ratify it as part of the refereeing process.

The reluctance to change and the b/s about the games on the village green don't have it are specious and a smokescreen.

FIFA don't help, but the idea that its actually orchestrated fixing I think is also gonad*s because the whole thing is so transparent, with all the cameras. I think its just genuine human error and failing, in a high speed sport, that in many cases has become far too over officiated and the rules become more nebulous and complex as the days go by.

What's done us this year isn't the wrong decisions against us. It's the blatantly terrible decisions. And we have had far, far more of those against us than any other team.

Back