• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Tomori is a decent player too. Lad goes abroad, takes a risk, plays, plays well...can't get a sniff
That's the culture I just can't abide

I dont think Tomori had the best of seasons last year (after a good season before that). But still, any of these young CBs should be getting a chance ahead of Maguire at this point right!?

I initially had some sympathy with Southgate sticking with Maguire when he was struggling to get time for United. Maguire has had a good record with England and you don't want to drop players when there are short term issues, whether a drop in form or falling out of favour with a new manager.

But Maguire had a chance to move in the summer and turned it down. He'd rather not play at Man Utd than get the games that could restore his form and justify being picked for England. His choice and his form will just get worse the longer his situation is unchanged so it makes no sense for Southgate to continue picking him.

I initially had some sympathy with Southgate sticking with Maguire when he was struggling to get time for United. Maguire has had a good record with England and you don't want to drop players when there are short term issues, whether a drop in form or falling out of favour with a new manager.

But Maguire had a chance to move in the summer and turned it down. He'd rather not play at Man Utd than get the games that could restore his form and justify being picked for England. His choice and his form will just get worse the longer his situation is unchanged so it makes no sense for Southgate to continue picking him.

West Ham though.. tough choice.

Not like he had a tonne of offers to choose from.

I agree though, Southgate could easily have given someone else a chance in these games.

On form it was a good win for England but I was very disappointed with Scotland, there was no passion in their play. I had not seen them play recently but they have had some good result, last night they looked exactly what they are a team of lower PL and championship players with no outstanding players. I find it very sad I use to look forward to this game every year, the Scots have had some great players and always played as if their lives depended on the result, just an old memory last night. I told my grandson about the centenary match back in '73 when England won the St.Valentins day massacre 5-0 and the Scots fans were chanting "we want our money back"

On form it was a good win for England but I was very disappointed with Scotland, there was no passion in their play. I had not seen them play recently but they have had some good result, last night they looked exactly what they are a team of lower PL and championship players with no outstanding players. I find it very sad I use to look forward to this game every year, the Scots have had some great players and always played as if their lives depended on the result, just an old memory last night. I told my grandson about the centenary match back in '73 when England won the St.Valentins day massacre 5-0 and the Scots fans were chanting "we want our money back"

They had the better of large parts of the game when England played them in the European championship finals a couple of years ago. Hard to see progress last night except from England who look a lot more comfortable in what they are doing.

But it’s all about qualification right now and Scotland are smashing it. They really need a centre forward who can occupy the centre backs and hold the ball up - doesn’t need to be a superstar.

West Ham though.. tough choice.

Not like he had a tonne of offers to choose from.

I agree though, Southgate could easily have given someone else a chance in these games.
Champions of Europe :p and above Man U in the table?? A manager who actually wants you and ward prowse sticking corners on your bonce.

Oh but CL gave him a wage bonus this year!

I was the same, I really wanted Scotland to injure a few players!

Decent game in the end, Foden and Bellingham proving their quality.

I would love to see Foden, Kane, Saka and a midfield 3 of Bellingham, Rice, Madders

Yes we used to have some right ding dongs with them, i will never forget them beating us in 77 and then they invaded the pitch smashing the goalposts. HEATHENS who can not hold their ale.

I’m not sure if we will gain anything by trying to fit Maddison in with Bellingham and Kane.

Last edited:
Those formations are for TV screen displays, in any good team players move about to various positions depending on the situation. Kane is always shown in centre forward position when in fact he spends less time there than anywhere else.

Bellingham Rice Madders

Saka Kane Foden​

Not difficult is it? Just ask them to do what they do at their club.
I get the logic behind a three of Bellingham, Maddison and Rice. But the counterargument is that it wastes Bellingham as he doesn't get as much license to attack.

"What they do at their club" leaves Rice horribly exposed against any decent team.

West ham is his level.

True, but nobody drops from United straight to West Ham! He probably thought he could get a Inter or A.Madrid etc. I get it, he would suit West Ham well and probably get plaudits for the 'sit deep, old school defending' they require but it's too much of a drop off. Remember a week before the deadline they had lost Rice, hadn't got in any replacements and were everyone's tip to struggle.

Also, Lingard had a loan there and still didn't want to go back there perm and preferred to stay and fight at United. Didn't turn out well for him either but just shows how hard it is to suck it up and just join a lesser team when you still have faith in your abilities

I get the logic behind a three of Bellingham, Maddison and Rice. But the counterargument is that it wastes Bellingham as he doesn't get as much license to attack.

"What they do at their club" leaves Rice horribly exposed against any decent team.

Do what ange does. Bring the fullbacks into the middle to support rice.

How is it any different to the way Ange pkays with Bissouma, Sarr and Madders? Works fine for us with all 3 of them getting in the box or around the box to have chances?

Also, do England have the defence to play a high enough line. Walker and Stones in the back 4 are able, but is anyone else?

Back