• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

It’s Coming Home

Best Manager in the World

Master Tactician with his team selections

Sterling with a masterful match winning performance

Gobby on Kane.

Harry Kane must accept that he is no longer one of England’s untouchables

Two thoughts occurred to me as Gareth Southgate prepared to bring on Jude Bellingham in the 82nd minute of England’s encouraging opening win.

The first was that he had to take off Harry Kane. The second was that it should have happened 10 minutes earlier.

Kane barely featured in the victory and looked exhausted. Brave as it seems for an England manager to substitute his captain, it was the right and obvious call.

This may become the new reality for Kane. England can get the most from him with a premeditated plan, demanding he give everything for 65-70 minutes before being replaced by fresh legs. The days of keeping him on the pitch so he can make the most of every minute in pursuit of the Golden Boot are over.

I don’t mind this. I think there are some benefits to not using him for every minute of every game and you never want a player to think they are untouchable, for club or country.

That said I think some of the comments about his in game contribution belie how he has played for a while, especially for England.

He’s not going to go tearing after every ball ala Beckham v Greece but there is no one you’d rather the ball come to in or around the box. If our supporting cast are all head down dribblers with negligible finishing ability then he is going to struggle to have an impact. He does need to make sure he stops coming deep for England for that reason and I wonder if that’s partly due to him feeling like he’s not contributing but tournaments are made up of defining moments and he doesn’t have a Son equivalent to use his passing ability on.

Back