• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Ingerlund

Can we fire Southgate yet?

Quality of all types through the ages groups and we've been dog - brick bar one lucky run in a tournament. Should be sexy yet it's all gone a bit spu- I won't say it....

My heart dropped when I saw that team, what was the plan? Hope Harry scores and we can hold on.

I know Belgium are rated No1 but that say more about the rest of the teams. They must have been licking their lips when they saw that plodding midfield. Even though England played poorly they could have got something out of the game with a bit of luck the Belgians had.

Why our wingbacks stood next to the Belgian fullbacks most of the game is beyond me, and the Henderson Rice combo gives us nothing when we have the ball and little more than a lot of pointing when we haven't, I felt some sympathy for Mount as he was played out of position and that's difficult for a young player in a big game but Grealish showed his character and tried hard to influence things.

With such a defensive line up we would have been better to have played Calvert Lewin up top with Kane and hit crosses into the box.

I thought we were quite good overall.
Didn't need Trippier, just slowed the game.
TBF the issue around the full backs is huge now
We have one left back as a country plus saka...
right back we have an abundance but their all quite similar TBF
I can’t see a left back coming through and it’s causing the team to have a lopsided effect.

Surely moving to a 4-2-3-1 set up now would work with Grealish in the middle of the 3 and pace wide from Sterling, Sancho and Rashford etc...
You can then have stodgy CMs if the full backs are more proactive

Not the only one is he?
:p

I like our team when we go forward not pass sideways for the best part of a game and still end lobbing the ball into the area. I like a team, my team to takes the initiative and attack.
We are far too cautious for my liking, and I wouldn't mind if this were a precursor to the counter but of late not even that.

TBF the issue around the full backs is huge now
We have one left back as a country plus saka...
right back we have an abundance but their all quite similar TBF
I can’t see a left back coming through and it’s causing the team to have a lopsided effect.

Surely moving to a 4-2-3-1 set up now would work with Grealish in the middle of the 3 and pace wide from Sterling, Sancho and Rashford etc...
You can then have stodgy CMs if the full backs are more proactive

Bertrand won a CL final on his debut. Who was Portugal's left back who won the European championships? fudge knows, it's not about having world class players everywhere, we en't Brazil. It's about a working system, which it seemed like we had. Wasn't even against Kyle Walker as a third CB to be honest.

I haven't seen an England game in a while but Maguire / Pickford / Rice is a spine to cripple any decent team and Southgate doesn't know how to utilise the terrifying potential of this current crop

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.90min.com/posts/england-left-back-options-ranked/amp
Bertrand won a CL final on his debut. Who was Portugal's left back who won the European championships? fudge knows, it's not about having world class players everywhere, we en't Brazil. It's about a working system, which it seemed like we had. Wasn't even against Kyle Walker as a third CB to be honest.

edit - added an article on our left back options
Very slim pickings although this season it’s fair to say that Cresswell has been excellent at wet spam

I haven't seen an England game in a while but Maguire / Pickford / Rice is a spine to cripple any decent team and Southgate doesn't know how to utilise the terrifying potential of this current crop
I’m not arguing we couldn’t play a Bertrand
I’m just not sure there is even more than a few English left backs playing top level now

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.90min.com/posts/england-left-back-options-ranked/amp
I’m not arguing we couldn’t play a Bertrand
I’m just not sure there is even more than a few English left backs playing top level now

But then what do you mean by top level?

We could win the world cup with Bertrand as easily as without him. Would I rather take A. Cole or Lahm? Sure I'm not an idiot but we work with what we got and Shaw, Cresswell, even Sessegnon, Williams for Utd looks excellent when I've seen him too.... LB literally the last of our problems imo

But then what do you mean by top level?

We could win the world cup with Bertrand as easily as without him. Would I rather take A. Cole or Lahm? Sure I'm not an idiot but we work with what we got and Shaw, Cresswell, even Sessegnon, Williams for Utd looks excellent when I've seen him too.... LB literally the last of our problems imo
I mean players in the prem
So top level of English football
Nothing more than that

We lack creativity in midfield and are never going to get any. Every team in PL would rather buy an average foreign player with experience than play a kid, managers are all looking over their shoulder waiting for the sack. Foden is probably the best of our midfield players but at club level he is overshadowed by their imports and hasn't played as much as he should have.

I use to watch academy football and saw a lot of talent in some teams but apart from Chelsea and Woolwich none seem to have got in the first teams. Until someone shows some bottle and trust a kid it will stay the same. I bet Hoddle wouldn't get a chance today.

So you're saying we do or don't have "top level" (apparently meaning plays in the EPL) LBs?

It might just be me bud, but I get mighty lost on your posts sometimes...:D
I’m saying we hardly have any
Most clubs have at least 2 left backs so that’s potentially 40
English ones in total that play in the prem it seems are so few and far between it totals 7 I make it including 2 at United
You also have Ashley young and Sessegnon
That’s an appalling range of players to pick from
So coming back to my post... I stand by what I said that there is so few to pick from now it’s scary
We have chillwell who I think is average and saka plus potentially a few others to pick from
We can then go to the championship and look or youth players
Danny rose technically is available too

I’m saying we hardly have any
Most clubs have at least 2 left backs so that’s potentially 40
English ones in total that play in the prem it seems are so few and far between it totals 7 I make it including 2 at United
You also have Ashley young and Sessegnon
That’s an appalling range of players to pick from
So coming back to my post... I stand by what I said that there is so few to pick from now it’s scary
We have chillwell who I think is average and saka plus potentially a few others to pick from
We can then go to the championship and look or youth players
Danny rose technically is available too

We have a reasonable amount of left backs...

My point from a while back, is looking at the spine of the team (Pickford Maguire Hendo / Rice) it’s no surprise we’re brick again and Roberto Carlos returning in terminator form as an English dude called steve smithington isn’t going to solve the actual problems we have.

It might be a wood through the trees thing ‍♂️ but bigger fish to fry if we’re mixing idioms

We lack creativity in midfield and are never going to get any. Every team in PL would rather buy an average foreign player with experience than play a kid, managers are all looking over their shoulder waiting for the sack. Foden is probably the best of our midfield players but at club level he is overshadowed by their imports and hasn't played as much as he should have.

I use to watch academy football and saw a lot of talent in some teams but apart from Chelsea and Woolwich none seem to have got in the first teams. Until someone shows some bottle and trust a kid it will stay the same. I bet Hoddle wouldn't get a chance today.
It's not the fault of the teams - why don't those English players do as their foreign counterparts do and join teams all over the world?

Back