• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Lamela has had a poor season. However, I would still give him another full season, but I wouldn't necessarily make him first choice. Pritchard seems to have a lot of upside, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few players moved on and Poch bring in some more competition for Lamela.

Lamela has had a poor season. However, I would still give him another full season, but I wouldn't necessarily make him first choice. Pritchard seems to have a lot of upside, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see a few players moved on and Poch bring in some more competition for Lamela.

I think the next few games will be telling. Poch has said a few times everyone is fully fit. So if Townsend keeps being picked in front of Lamela it doesn't look good for Lamela I don't think.

I think the next few games will be telling. Poch has said a few times everyone is fully fit. So if Townsend keeps being picked in front of Lamela it doesn't look good for Lamela I don't think.

not necessarily , it could just be Poch is rewarding townsend for doing a good job.

townsend has been part of some good performances while lamela has been sat down

it could be just a case of lamela being told to observe something in townsend and / or the team

some times these young players need a time out to get mentally stronger...... fans dont always / or refuse to acknowledge that

not necessarily , it could just be Poch is rewarding townsend for doing a good job.

townsend has been part of some good performances while lamela has been sat down

it could be just a case of lamela being told to observe something in townsend and / or the team

some times these young players need a time out to get mentally stronger...... fans dont always / or refuse to acknowledge that

Agreed. Lamela has started 19 league games this season, Townsend has started 7.

For me at least rotation doesn't have to be game by game. Letting one player start a handful (3-5) games and then switch it seems like a reasonable plan.

I don't think we'll know what Poch truly thinks for the future for these two players until the summer. Most likely even then it will depend on incoming bids and if either or both are here come September both will be given the chance to keep working hard and improving.

I am not sure why Poch isn't starting Lamela.

I'm a fan so i would like to see him start and finish as many games as possible between now and the end of the season and if he produces not much in the way of goals and/or assists at least him being shipped out will feel much less disappointing.

I get he tracks back and sometimes gets in the odd tackle and if you watch him closely he's not afraid to get the odd niggling dig in either. I get hes reputedly shy off the pitch but you don't come through the ranks in Argentina without being able to handle yourself.

However he wasn't bought for this and if theres a role that Lamela is somehow filling when he plays there are players out there for this specific type of play and probably much cheaper.

If some goals and more assists come along then that added to what i already appreciate he does means another ray of sunshine for this season.

Really and truly hope this boy does come good. The thought of two exceptionally talented guys like him and Eriksen both being in the side, and more importantly, fitting in the side bodes well.

Kane has already shown he knows where the back of the net is in almost every manner, hopefully there will be yet more avenues coming his way if Lamela picks up with the possibility he bangs in a few himself.

In summation, its hard to justify the guy staying another season for all concerned unless "something" happens and i really hope it does. I hope its not another Postiga situation.

We had a semi decent formula with Dembele central and Eriksen and Lamela on the flanks, but Dembele got hooked and Townsend started to put in some decent performances so Lamela lost his spot. Townsend's last few games haven't been his greatest and neither has Chadli's, so I could see us switching back to the Eriksen-Dembele-Lamela formation today.

Personally I'm more for Eriksen-Lamela-Chadli. The stats show that his defensive contribution is better than all the rest in the AM roles and I think he'd possibly have a greater impact from there.

We had a semi decent formula with Dembele central and Eriksen and Lamela on the flanks, but Dembele got hooked and Townsend started to put in some decent performances so Lamela lost his spot. Townsend's last few games haven't been his greatest and neither has Chadli's, so I could see us switching back to the Eriksen-Dembele-Lamela formation today.

Personally I'm more for Eriksen-Lamela-Chadli. The stats show that his defensive contribution is better than all the rest in the AM roles and I think he'd possibly have a greater impact from there.

Dembele for some games seems like a good idea. Against better teams his attributes are better suited imo. The more we have the ball against an organized team the less useful he becomes imo.

Townsend might have seen a run in the team for somewhat similar reasons. Quick direct running with the ball, counter attacking, might have suited playing against teams like Chelsea and United better than Lamela.

For me it's time to give Lamela another crack. Like you I would like to see the Chadli-Eriksen-Lamela trio behind Kane.

After yesterday's cameo, I would rather try 4-2-1-3 with:

----------Mason-----------------------------Bentaleb---------------

--------------------------------Paulinho------------------------------

------Eriksen------------------Kane------------------Chadli----------

Our last clean sheet was away to West Bromwich Albion....Paulinho was very impressive that day with his accurate passing...

After yesterday, I'd agree with that formation Maltese although I'd shift Eriksen to the left of Kane and have Lamela on the right. Kane likes to pull out to the left hand side at times anyway and Eriksen gets a bit more freedom, heck Paulinho might even score a goal or two.

Agreed. Lamela has started 19 league games this season, Townsend has started 7.

For me at least rotation doesn't have to be game by game. Letting one player start a handful (3-5) games and then switch it seems like a reasonable plan.

I don't think we'll know what Poch truly thinks for the future for these two players until the summer. Most likely even then it will depend on incoming bids and if either or both are here come September both will be given the chance to keep working hard and improving.

This thread seems to have petered out in past weeks as I think it has become clear that this is not a rotation but, for whatever reason, Lamela is not seen as the solution by Poch...

I think it's cyclical selective memory, if he's more involved we'll just start moaning about him giving the ball away and suggest that Townsend at least gets a shot off

we are seeing the same thing with dembele now, out of the side for a while and he's suddenly the answer, I predict that next time he plays there will be moaning about him holding the ball too long and not battling hard enough

I'm guilty of this myself as right now I wish we had Lennon back

Last edited:
I'm actually quite shocked that we are nearly at the end of the season and Lamela still hasn't made much of a mark in the team. Besides his work rate, he is almost a complete non factor offensively and has barely progressed. We've invested too much money to get rid now, but I'd only give him one more season.

I'm actually quite shocked that we are nearly at the end of the season and Lamela still hasn't made much of a mark in the team. Besides his work rate, he is almost a complete non factor offensively and has barely progressed. We've invested too much money to get rid now, but I'd only give him one more season.

+1

His pre-season was quite impressive and he played well vs QPR and Wham before being chopped down every 5 minutes vs Liverpool. He actually looked to be improving up until about Christmas, but since then he's really not done that much of note. He seems quite slow if I'm honest both on the ball and with his decision making. If he's still in the same place come this time next year, then he has to go.

+1

His pre-season was quite impressive and he played well vs QPR and Wham before being chopped down every 5 minutes vs Liverpool. He actually looked to be improving up until about Christmas, but since then he's really not done that much of note. He seems quite slow if I'm honest both on the ball and with his decision making. If he's still in the same place come this time next year, then he has to go.

I was never impressed with him - and my posts show that.

If he has to go, then best do it now - while he still retains some value in Italy. Read we are after Llorente and another Juventus player; maybe a swap would be on the cards???

I'm not up for shipping him out just yet, unless of course the coaching staff as a whole say he has no chance of progressing.

I don't think his worth as a makeweight is as great as it was last summer and I'm inclined to take any rumours coming from the Italian press with a lethal dose of salt. Those stories run counter to what we have heard from sources close to Spurs in that we are looking to invest in young players.

This thread seems to have petered out in past weeks as I think it has become clear that this is not a rotation but, for whatever reason, Lamela is not seen as the solution by Poch...
Id say it's much more likely that he's giving both players a fair crack of the whip - It's a position which needs addressing in the summer and i think he's using this season to see which one of the two keep their place in the squad.

Back