• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

OK, mate. NP :D

If you want to continue to believe that Lamela was left out of the most vital matches of our season simply to give Townsend a chance, then it's your prerogative.

You will equally allow me to believe that sheep jump over the moon every night, I hope....

ultimately we all have our own ideas as to who has been the better player this season or who is a brighter prospect for this team - the reason i joined back in to this convo was to question MF's assumption that because Townsend is currently in the team having a run of games that that shows the manager has made his choice, when in my view, for the reasons stated previously that is not the case.

OK, mate. NP :D

If you want to continue to believe that Lamela was left out of the most vital matches of our season simply to give Townsend a chance, then it's your prerogative.

You will equally allow me to believe that sheep jump over the moon every night, I hope....

did i say that then?

As far as I understood, what you did suggest was that, after giving Lamela a run of games, Poch was assessing Townsend in a similar manner.

And my reply was that while that may be the case in some games, I could not see - within any stretch of logic - that happening in the most important games of the season: Chelsea home, Man U away and above all the LC final. The fact that he has not picked Lamela to start since the Fiorentina game suggests to me that he made his decision.

But as you say it is all speculation, albeit a reasoned opinion...

I also said that Lamelas performances had tailed off around the time of those fixtures and Townsend played well initially when given his chance - playing him in the final after playing well recently against Chelsea was a no brainer

I do not watch Italian football ( too boring for me) so I had never seen Lamela before we signed him and thought it was a brick load of money to pay for a kid. However I listened and read what others ( who had seen him) said and thought I would wait and see him before making a judgement.

He has talent but in all honesty I am not that impressed and it seems he is unsuited to English football, that does not mean he will not settle and become a player for us but I have more doubts now then when we bought him. As for Townsend we need to sell him.

Despite being unimpressed with Lamela overall, I am surprised he hasn't been given from game 28-38 in the league to just play and see what happens (I know, he might yet play in the remaining games). We're not going to do anything in the league, so why not give him the game-time? Why give minutes to players with no future at all, such as Paulinho and Soldado? That makes no sense to me.

Despite being unimpressed with Lamela overall, I am surprised he hasn't been given from game 28-38 in the league to just play and see what happens (I know, he might yet play in the remaining games). We're not going to do anything in the league, so why not give him the game-time? Why give minutes to players with no future at all, such as Paulinho and Soldado? That makes no sense to me.

Maybe Poch has seen enough of him and puts him in the same bracket as Paulinho and Soldado. I think the plan was to give Lamela all of the season, but he was so ineffective that Poch's hand was forced.

Maybe Poch has seen enough of him and puts him in the same bracket as Paulinho and Soldado. I think the plan was to give Lamela all of the season, but he was so ineffective that Poch's hand was forced.

You could be right. I just think that given the alternative has been Townsend, who has been equally ineffective, he could give Lamela some more time. Townsend is already settled, we know what we are getting there. Perhaps there is more to come from Lamela, perhaps not. But only one way to know for sure, and since we obviously aren't good enough for a top 4 spot, I don't see the harm in playing him a bit more.

We were a better team with him in the team. Particularly after the Kaboul-Capoue-Adebayor portion of the season.

He's looked an improvement in recent games when he's come on from the bench.

Eriksen looked better with Lamela on the pitch, despite speculations that they were getting in each other's way at the time. Lamela actually manages to pick quick passes through levels of pressure with a decent frequency, way too many players taking too many touches at the moment.

I do wonder if there are other reasons for Lamela not getting on the pitch. Ongoing injury problems, training ground bust-up, offer from another club for the summer or something? Obviously just speculation, but it's just strange that he lost his place so abruptly after so long and hasn't gotten a league start since despite his replacements being rather... average at best.

We were a better team with him in the team. Particularly after the Kaboul-Capoue-Adebayor portion of the season.

He's looked an improvement in recent games when he's come on from the bench.

Eriksen looked better with Lamela on the pitch, despite speculations that they were getting in each other's way at the time. Lamela actually manages to pick quick passes through levels of pressure with a decent frequency, way too many players taking too many touches at the moment.

I do wonder if there are other reasons for Lamela not getting on the pitch. Ongoing injury problems, training ground bust-up, offer from another club for the summer or something? Obviously just speculation, but it's just strange that he lost his place so abruptly after so long and hasn't gotten a league start since despite his replacements being rather... average at best.

Maybe because Lamela has been tinkle poor all season. He is one of the worst for keeping hold of the ball for to long and is always running into opposition players and having the ball knicked from him.

Maybe because Lamela has been tinkle poor all season. He is one of the worst for keeping hold of the ball for to long and is always running into opposition players and having the ball knicked from him.
he's been nothing like as dreadful as townsend. townsend playing means we start the match with ten men. he's appalling.

Not really been true for a while. Lamela doesn't hold on to the ball nearly as long as Townsend as AE pointed out, and even compared to our other attacking players he's often quite quick to release it. There are individual situations in most games where he seems to lack decisiveness or confidence and just holds on to it for too long not sure what to do, but they've become quite rare.

He does lose the ball quite often as he picks the high risk play fairly often, even in tight situations around the half way line. But it's just as often with a quick one touch pass as with taking too many touches imo.

The comparison with Townsend is irrelevant, Townsend is struggling to be involved/impact the game for us.

Lamela for me is now in the same boat as Soldado, we bring them on as a sub, and it seems to spark some life into the team, the midfield passing with Eriksen/Kane seems to get better, side looks better, inevitably we create a chance or two for one of them that isn't taken ... and the game result doesn't change.

If they were both a two months into their Spurs career, I would say they just need a run, need to click with team, but it's been 2 years ...

The comparison with Townsend is irrelevant, Townsend is struggling to be involved/impact the game for us.

Lamela for me is now in the same boat as Soldado, we bring them on as a sub, and it seems to spark some life into the team, the midfield passing with Eriksen/Kane seems to get better, side looks better, inevitably we create a chance or two for one of them that isn't taken ... and the game result doesn't change.

If they were both a two months into their Spurs career, I would say they just need a run, need to click with team, but it's been 2 years ...
I thought you were going to say "We'd love to move them on but we can't find a club out there stupid enough to pay us for them"

I thought you were going to say "We'd love to move them on but we can't find a club out there stupid enough to pay us for them"

Flatter to deceive, unsuited to league, bought at a time that seemed to impact their ability to adapt/thrive in EPL.

I actually think both can be sold quite easily (Italy/Spain), not for the money we paid/want, but there will be clubs who will take a punt.

Flatter to deceive, unsuited to league, bought at a time that seemed to impact their ability to adapt/thrive in EPL.

I actually think both can be sold quite easily (Italy/Spain), not for the money we paid/want, but there will be clubs who will take a punt.
I doubt there are any clubs out there that will pay them a similar wage to the one we are paying them and therein lies the problem. It means that we'll either have to write off a considerable amount of money in terms of their depreciated asset value or subsidise their wages and affect the amount we have available for our own first team squad next season. I guess at least Lamela has age on his side so at least he might have some resale value to a club that does take him off of us, with Soldado however I think our only hope is a club from Turkey, the UAE or the USA coming in for him, especially as the money now seems to have dried up in Russia.

Back