• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Id say it's much more likely that he's giving both players a fair crack of the whip - It's a position which needs addressing in the summer and i think he's using this season to see which one of the two keep their place in the squad.

But doesn't get in the first 11 ideally as their both pretty average at best

Pritchard could be a genuine option now on that side but we need more than one new wide/creative player better than we have. Were crying out for genuine pace in those 3 positions too. The link to Ayew makes sense as that's one of his strengths and he works hard from what little I've seen of marseille/Ghana

Lamella for all his work rate really still hasn't imposed himself on enough games for me

Pritchard could be a genuine option now on that side but we need more than one new wide/creative player better than we have. Were crying out for genuine pace in those 3 positions too. The link to Ayew makes sense as that's one of his strengths and he works hard from what little I've seen of marseille/Ghana

Lamella for all his work rate really still hasn't imposed himself on enough games for me

yeah i agree - i still think there's room for Lamela to improve though but with Townsend i think he has hit his ceiling and would be looking to replace him first and foremost.

Id say it's much more likely that he's giving both players a fair crack of the whip - It's a position which needs addressing in the summer and i think he's using this season to see which one of the two keep their place in the squad.

Sounds like wishful thinking to me but to each his own, I guess...

What points to you that it's not a case of giving both a fair crack?

Oh no! He gave both a fair crack but my gut feeling is that Poch has given up on Lamela and only plays Townsend because he feels he has no other option - hence Andros always being the first player subbed.

Guess we'll know come the summer...

Pritchard has a long way to go. His attitude isn't the best (and that is an understatement). He's very selfish and gets annoyed with team mates if they don't pass it to him, and his tracking back is close to non-existent.
He has got quite a lot of criticism at Brentford for his lack of defensive work. He should stay one more year, especially if Brentford get promoted.

Pritchard has a long way to go. His attitude isn't the best (and that is an understatement). He's very selfish and gets annoyed with team mates if they don't pass it to him, and his tracking back is close to non-existent.
He has got quite a lot of criticism at Brentford for his lack of defensive work. He should stay one more year, especially if Brentford get promoted.

Really!!! I've watched them about 8 games this season and bizarrely I know two Brentford season ticket holders who only talk in very very high terms about him

If he has half the impact in our first team that he has at Brentford then that's twice was Lamella and townsend will have done

Could not disagree more. If he does have that attitude, then he needs to be integrated in our team asap so that this is pruned out of him. Leaving him more at Brentford will do nothing to improve it.

Oh no! He gave both a fair crack but my gut feeling is that Poch has given up on Lamela and only plays Townsend because he feels he has no other option - hence Andros always being the first player subbed.

Guess we'll know come the summer...

Well at the moment Lamela has been involved in 27 league games to Townsends 16 - i don't think he would have given up on Lamela when he has generally been more involved in games and appears far more suited to the tactics than Townsend. Id say it's more likely he knows where Lamela is and is hoping that a run of games will give Townsend the chance to cement his future (in or out) sadly though it looks like he is playing himself on to the transfer list rather than in to next seasons plans.

Well at the moment Lamela has been involved in 27 league games to Townsends 16 - i don't think he would have given up on Lamela when he has generally been more involved in games and appears far more suited to the tactics than Townsend. Id say it's more likely he knows where Lamela is and is hoping that a run of games will give Townsend the chance to cement his future (in or out) sadly though it looks like he is playing himself on to the transfer list rather than in to next seasons plans.

As I said... to me, that's all wishful (was going to say deluded) thinking by the core Lamela fan base. My proof: when was the last time Lamela started? The game against Fiorentina when the team was basically also-rans. The next game... the League Cup final. The most important game of the season and who does Poch pick? Do you really - outside of your wildest hopes - think Poch would use this as an opportunity to "give Townsend the chance to cement his future"? Honestly?

The next important game? Man Utd away - win that and we would have been with a shot at CL. A game seemingly crying out for Lamela and the extra protection he gives the team. Again, do you think Poch would use this vital game as an opportunity to "give Townsend the chance to cement his future"?

Townsend has a stinker; does he bring in Lamela? No - plays Townsend again - when still at a stage when a good run could have seen us threaten fourth place and then when he finally drops Townsend, who come in? Paulinho!

Are you really hanging on to the hope that Poch is "giving Townsend the chance to cement his future"? Logic would dictate otherwise and I strongly suspect Lamela is brushing up on his Italian...

It seems as though you have basically repeated what windy COYS says (almost word for word). Let's be clear that because he watches youth matches and called kane and Mason as good players, does not make him an oracle. Windy has big bias against and for certain players (he consistently gives feint praise for pritchard and rose for example when they are the best players on their persepctive pitches). He also uses stats to defend under performing players and many youth players he has talked up have disappeared.

Where has this notion of a bad attitude come from because he demands the ball and shouts at team mates when he doesn't get it? That's standard. The fact he has played CM this year and having watched him a lot, I would say 'non-existent' defensive work is false. And say he doesn't work hard off the ball, we have been playing townsend and chadli who are complete liabilities going backwards.

In terms of technique he is superior to lamela (not many terrible passes, baggy touches and he has real end product in terms of crossing, vision and finishing)

Chadli has really fallen off and townsend and LAmela have been brick for most of the season - pritchard really should get a chance because that area of the pitch is weak as hell. Lamela hasn't been good enough in any respect bar pressing and I don't see how he will
Dramatically improve. Pritchard should 100% be in the squad next year.

Whether he takes his chance or not is up to debate but neither have his peers and they don't look like doing do either

As I said... to me, that's all wishful (was going to say deluded) thinking by the core Lamela fan base. My proof: when was the last time Lamela started? The game against Fiorentina when the team was basically also-rans. The next game... the League Cup final. The most important game of the season and who does Poch pick? Do you really - outside of your wildest hopes - think Poch would use this as an opportunity to "give Townsend the chance to cement his future"? Honestly?

The next important game? Man Utd away - win that and we would have been with a shot at CL. A game seemingly crying out for Lamela and the extra protection he gives the team. Again, do you think Poch would use this vital game as an opportunity to "give Townsend the chance to cement his future"?

Townsend has a stinker; does he bring in Lamela? No - plays Townsend again - when still at a stage when a good run could have seen us threaten fourth place and then when he finally drops Townsend, who come in? Paulinho!

Are you really hanging on to the hope that Poch is "giving Townsend the chance to cement his future"? Logic would dictate otherwise and I strongly suspect Lamela is brushing up on his Italian...

It's called giving players a chance - Kaboul, Capoue, Adebayor were all given a good run of games despite playing poorly and having 'stinkers' you don't learn much by dropping players at the first sign of a bad performance.

although i think he is talked down way more than he should be, Lamela was certainly not undroppable by any means and is clearly in a two way tussle with Townsend for who remains here next season - that's why the manager can leave one or the other on the bench for long spells because neither has proven himself as a key first team player, yet.

However come the end of the season we'll have to make a choice on who to keep and i can point to a whole host of stats which back up my opinion that it should be Lamela - he has shown himself to be a much better influence on games over 90 minutes, both defensively and in terms of passing/creativity, whilst Townsend largely offers nothing over the course of a game but will pop up with a goal every now and again erasing the abject performance from the memory of some - imo you can only get away with that if you're banging in 15-20 goals a season, which i don't think we can expect from him any time soon.

It's called giving players a chance - Kaboul, Capoue, Adebayor were all given a good run of games despite playing poorly and having 'stinkers' you don't learn much by dropping players at the first sign of a bad performance.

although i think he is talked down way more than he should be, Lamela was certainly not undroppable by any means and is clearly in a two way tussle with Townsend for who remains here next season - that's why the manager can leave one or the other on the bench for long spells because neither has proven himself as a key first team player, yet.

However come the end of the season we'll have to make a choice on who to keep and i can point to a whole host of stats which back up my opinion that it should be Lamela - he has shown himself to be a much better influence on games over 90 minutes, both defensively and in terms of passing/creativity, whilst Townsend largely offers nothing over the course of a game but will pop up with a goal every now and again erasing the abject performance from the memory of some - imo you can only get away with that if you're banging in 15-20 goals a season, which i don't think we can expect from him any time soon.

If Lamela "has shown himself to be a much better influence on games over 90 minutes" would you not agree that Poch would be crazy, indeed irresponsible, not to play him in the most important and must win games, especially the LC final?

Reactions: DTA
If Lamela "has shown himself to be a much better influence on games over 90 minutes" would you not agree that Poch would be crazy, indeed irresponsible, not to play him in the most important and must win games, especially the LC final?

Im not aware of the full facts so i wouldn't be arrogant enough to make such an assertion tbh

Lamelas performances had dropped off around that time iirc and Townsend had came in to the team and he had had a few decent games including Chelsea in the league - was probably nothing more than that id imagine

Im not aware of the full facts so i wouldn't be arrogant enough to make such an assertion tbh

Oh come on! If being aware of the full facts was the yardstick to post on this board, then we might as well close GG.

Of course you are not aware of the full facts, nor am I. I am just asking you to make a reasoned opinion....

Lamelas performances had dropped off around that time iirc and Townsend had came in to the team and he had had a few decent games including Chelsea in the league - was probably nothing more than that id imagine

By dropped off - early on it was pretty much a case of him being poor but showing glimpses where you thought maybe he could have something there. By November he had competley dropped off and since then he has been largely shocking bar a couple of good performances.

Townsend has moments of serious threat each week and several of utter idiocy. Neither have been good enough and could easily be sold. I would say that in the premier league I would back townsend over lamela as the way he plays, his attributes and ability just don't seem suited

Reactions: DTA
Back