• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

A properly good player who uses his weaker foot for something other than standing on would play the pass to Kane. Because Lamela can't use his right foot he has to try to wait until the ball is on his left before he releases it. He ends up hitting an awkward pass with the outside of his left foot that is going behind Kane to their number 21.

Easier to judge how easy a pass is when watching in slow motion or viewing a still image. Always looks so much easier when viewing it on tv. Anyone who has played football at any level knows things seem easier than they actually are on the pitch, pace, movement, momentum have got to be taken into account. Its not a game of fifa.

The left foot thing I'm not sure about, so many people think all decent footballers are two footed, yes Lamela is outrageously so, but lets not pretend there aren't decent (even predictable) one footed players.

I think injuries is what killed it for him, and my observation recently is he's playing about as good as he's ever played for us, he's passing players, he's stronger on the ball, his movement is better. It's the age old "what if" with Lamela, i.e. what if he was fit for 6 months, how good would he be?

You are correct of course that most players have a stronger foot that they favour, the problem with Lamela is that he really is so easy to read because of his inability to use his right foot at times. But again as you say his injurys have been the biggest problem for him.

Easier to judge how easy a pass is when watching in slow motion or viewing a still image. Always looks so much easier when viewing it on tv. Anyone who has played football at any level knows things seem easier than they actually are on the pitch, pace, movement, momentum have got to be taken into account. Its not a game of fifa.

Steady there mate you will have the game players on your case saying things like that. ;)

OIP.kn1GCtxH3JUZXKTkHt5lqAHaFn

I played semi pro football to help pay my way through uni and have since got my UEFA B coaching badge. Have never actually played Fifa, looks fun though.

Yep. Not that that has anything to do with it - people just notice left footed players more because they're unusual.

From Statsbomb:

• Right footed players average around 87% of their passes with their dominant foot, left footed players around 85%.

I think it’s probably in part because a lot of high profile left footed players such as Messi, Maradona, Stoichkov, roberto Carlos, Rivaldo etc tend to predominantly favour their left foot. Maybe you’re right about it being more noticeable because left footed players are rarer but I’m not sure your stats are conclusive given there are far more right footed players in general.

back to the original discussion, are you saying Lamela isn’t one footed?

Because it is usually left footed players who refuse to use their weaker foot and are one footed; Lamela, Lo Celso etc. Reggie to be fair has a half decent right foot.

Just limiting the discussion to our players, struggling to think of right footed players in the squad who flat out refuse to use their left foot. Look how good Kane, Son and Toby are with their so called weaker foot.

Dele.

Although not to the same extent as Lamela but heavily one footed and also does that body shape shuffle to always try and get the ball on the right. It's not so obvious because he rarely dribbles like Lamela.

But you are right it gets pulled up more with left footed players.

Last edited:
Dele.

Although not to the same extent as Lamela but heavily one footed and also does that body shape shuffle to always try and get the ball on the right. It's not so obvious because he rarely dribbles like Lamela.

But you are right it gets pulled up more with left footed players.
Dele favours his right massively but still uses his left 10 times more than Lamela uses his right.

Against Arsenal he’ll be unlucky not to get at least half an hour, he’s been excellent recently. Unfortunately for Lamela...Kane, Bale, Son and Moura are a hard unit to break into these days.

One advantage Lamela has over Moura is that he absolutely gets the rivalry and even though Moura is excellent defensively, so is our Argentinian psycho. Lamela’s passing and creativity probably edge it for me comparing him to Moura.

I love it when Lamela plays. He is a nasty fudger and winds up the opposition. He is a master of the Argentinian dark arts (remember him standing on Fabregas’ hand?).

Its a shame he has been plagued by injuries but its great to see Jose getting a tune out of him as well. Long may it continue!

Against Arsenal he’ll be unlucky not to get at least half an hour, he’s been excellent recently. Unfortunately for Lamela...Kane, Bale, Son and Moura are a hard unit to break into these days.

One advantage Lamela has over Moura is that he absolutely gets the rivalry and even though Moura is excellent defensively, so is our Argentinian psycho. Lamela’s passing and creativity probably edge it for me comparing him to Moura.
With both Moura and Lamela in good form I'd expect Moura to keep his place even for a game against Arsenal where perhaps Lamela typically would have beenthe preferred option in the past.

He gives us pace and that direct dribbling that we otherwise mainly get from Son and Reguilon in the current setup.

Great problem to have though. And could definitely see Lamela get the nod.

that pass yesterday was insane, it curved twice, first out swinging to get around the nearest defender then reversed in mid air to an in swinging ball to Sonny

physics don't apply to him

Back