• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I don't understand how there wasn't a VAR review for that - a clear VAR review where everyone knows it is happening. If that doesn't fall under "possible red card offence" then what's the point? Was it just a case of the officials bottling it as the game was drawing to a close?

Its what you get when referees are allowed to apply “common sense”, had it been 0-0, 11 on 11 and 80 mins in he would definitely have walked.

It’s why common sense refereeing is a terrible idea.

Shaw might score a game winning goal in their next game, 2 points that matter at the end of the season.

Yeah, I just don't get it. All the other stuff is so underhand and nuanced that it can be difficult for the ref to pick thru correctly, YET presented with something that is plain sight butchery. 400% not interested in the ball. Plainly done just because he's a bad loser. Not retaliatory in anyway. Premeditated. Definite potential to cause injury. A violent act.

Yep a yellow card:rolleyes:

100%.

This is where I take off the Spurs hat and ponder more on where the sport is as a whole. There's a lot of nuance in the Lamela situation but could've gone a number of ways. Bailey stamp whilst indefensible was on a slightly lower level but this challenge above all really rankles.

How given that everything is recorded literally by cameras has there not been a swift and just punishment to Shaw?

As you mention mate it had nothing to do with the game. If anything, Shaw not being suspended is bad for Utd but you'd put the whole team in that boat at the minute.

Spent a bit of time catching up on redcafe, it's been years but it was worth it. Pure poetry from those moany clams. The irony of Utd fans getting so upset about Lamela's antics, get that brick straight in to my veins :D

@AdamB Yeah it's a fair observation, I just think it's a worrying precedent because the ref shouldn't be allowed to shout "prison rules!!!!" and people just start wailing on each other...I'm of the opinion that the game should be kept to certain standards and whilst a few digs on Chelsea players is fine, winning the game would have been much more productive.

I don’t like play acting or exaggerating contact. But there’s no reason for us to play by a different set of rules to everyone else. There was a shirt pull against the Goons that arguably would have resulted in a red card if he’s gone down and VaR reviews.

the Shaw one just doesn’t have any argument, he’s not even looking at Moura and chops him down from behind in full flight. Those are the tackles that usually result in a chinning or a massive reaction at lower levels as they are so dangerous and cowardly. Yet again how can we be poring for 5 minutes over an office decision or someone booting the ball against someone’s hand and not take action on this, ditto things like Alli’s ‘punch’ being retrospectively reviewed but as the ref saw this I don’t think they can do anything else? I’d like to see the ref asked for the basis of his decision and and given the opportunity to review it post game, as it was an act of violent conduct. It’s not like he let the penalty appeal after 30 seconds go because it was too early (which I actually was expecting!) so the scoreline should not make any difference to the reasoning here. The same could be said about a couple of incidents in the Chelsea game we drew a couple of years back of course.

400%.

This is where I take off the Spurs hat and ponder more on where the sport is as a whole. There's a lot of nuance in the Lamela situation but could've gone a number of ways. Bailey stamp whilst indefensible was on a slightly lower level but this challenge above all really rankles.

How given that everything is recorded literally by cameras has there not been a swift and just punishment to Shaw?

As you mention mate it had nothing to do with the game. If anything, Shaw not being suspended is bad for Utd but you'd put the whole team in that boat at the minute.

Spent a bit of time catching up on redcafe, it's been years but it was worth it. Pure poetry from those moany clams. The irony of Utd fans getting so upset about Lamela's antics, get that brick straight in to my veins :D

@AdamB Yeah it's a fair observation, I just think it's a worrying precedent because the ref shouldn't be allowed to shout "prison rules!!!!" and people just start wailing on each other...I'm of the opinion that the game should be kept to certain standards and whilst a few digs on Chelsea players is fine, winning the game would have been much more productive.

Mate, because it's United ..

So fudging sick of our fans (no dig at you), this is not opinion, or Spurs tinted view of the world

- Retired refs have admitted that they would not give certain 50/50 calls against united (since SAF)
- United statistically gets more penalties and more VAR calls than any other club, that is a fudging fact, over multiple seasons

Why? look at the coverage, hours of fudging coverage last night, all about united, maybe 30 seconds of "well Spurs played well"
- Even fudging Spurs fans are saying "Martial was hard done by" or "if it was one red card, it was two" fudging really? -> a push off in the box vs. a retaliation slap in the face?
- When untied gets a call against a lower team, nobody says fudge all, Fernandes is going to score a record number of penalties in the PL in two seasons .. nothing
- United get a man deservedly sent off -> it's the evil latin players and the ref's fault ..

If you don't think that hasn't and doesn't play into ref's minds every single time they think about carding a United player, or not giving them a call .. it's human nature

As a rule I hate it when players collapse after a minimal touch, but we have been shafted so thoroughly at Man U over the years, that it is hilarious to get one over them. Of course I would be prouder if we had beaten them with 11 on each side, but sod it. Our players have been sent off for virtually nothing, about time it was evened up. Top 4 looks well and truly on this season, but it's early days....

This is pointless you fail to see what he did was wrong, making excuses for what has happen in the past is an hopeless argument. I've know for a long time sports fans have little idea of the meaning of sport and just see winning is everything. No point in rules or respect just let teams batter one an other and last man standing wins.

There is no point in rules or respect if nobody keeps to the rules or the rules are not enforced objectively, which is the case.

I'm happy to play by the rules if referees and the FA enforce them indiscriminately and fairly no matter the teams standing. They don't. Champions League Final we played by the rules got a penalty given against us, then got told it shouldn't have been given and the rule would be alerted, lot of good that was to us.

As long as we're not going out to injure players, I'm looking for 3 points in every game whatever it takes. Being a victim doesn't work, you have to stand up for yourself eventually.

Mate, because it's United ..

So fudging sick of our fans (no dig at you), this is not opinion, or Spurs tinted view of the world

- Retired refs have admitted that they would not give certain 50/50 calls against united (since SAF)
- United statistically gets more penalties and more VAR calls than any other club, that is a fudging fact, over multiple seasons

Why? look at the coverage, hours of fudging coverage last night, all about united, maybe 30 seconds of "well Spurs played well"
- Even fudging Spurs fans are saying "Martial was hard done by" or "if it was one red card, it was two" fudging really? -> a push off in the box vs. a retaliation slap in the face?
- When untied gets a call against a lower team, nobody says fudge all, Fernandes is going to score a record number of penalties in the PL in two seasons .. nothing
- United get a man deservedly sent off -> it's the evil latin players and the ref's fault ..

If you don't think that hasn't and doesn't play into ref's minds every single time they think about carding a United player, or not giving them a call .. it's human nature

Was there as much furore about Rudiger's antics against us last season? Because that was as bad if not worse. Genuine question because I didn't see the post match coverage.

Sky were a disgrace yesterday like you say. Didn't mention us really. Didn't even show an interview with Jose. If we'd been stuffed 6-1, you can bet they'd have shown the interview with him. I also think it's wrong to have Neville and Evra on that game and Carragher on the Liverpool game. There is no chance of them being anything other than biased.

Was there as much furore about Rudiger's antics against us last season? Because that was as bad if not worse. Genuine question because I didn't see the post match coverage.

Sky were a disgrace yesterday like you say. Didn't mention us really. Didn't even show an interview with Jose. If we'd been stuffed 6-1, you can bet they'd have shown the interview with him. I also think it's wrong to have Neville and Evra on that game and Carragher on the Liverpool game. There is no chance of them being anything other than biased.

No the narrative was it was Son being stupid ...

OGS saying “The Argentinian” in that patronising way was pretty racist too. I.e. He must have negative traits due to his nationality.

They have all this bend the knee every match, but it’s fine to negatively stereotype an entire nation.

There wasn't at all, but then it did get somewhat overshadowed by the racism allegations.

Fair point. On the Pogba penalty last season, there was very little furore about the fact that Pogba went down so easily. It was probably a pen but Dier didn't do enough to put him down. Yesterday, Martial's was a red card but Lamela certainly drew it and completely overplayed it. Same principle for me yet Lamela gets a lot of brick and Pogba got very little, the focus was on Dier and Winks as I recall.

Great game from Lamela, I especially liked the lifted through ball to Son. More of that be less running into blind alleys and he might have a chance at keeping a starting place.

Not getting the credit he deserves from the media because of the red card.

It’s not the sort of thing that deserves credit. It’s clever play but you don’t want to encourage that kind of behaviour. It’s not a great advert for the game when players feign injury like that. It is what it is and I have no sympathy for United and I’m glad we benefitted from it but I really don’t think it’s something that deserves praise or celebration. Makes me feel uneasy as I hate it when other teams do it to us.

Fair point. On the Pogba penalty last season, there was very little furore about the fact that Pogba went down so easily. It was probably a pen but Dier didn't do enough to put him down. Yesterday, Martial's was a red card but Lamela certainly drew it and completely overplayed it. Same principle for me yet Lamela gets a lot of brick and Pogba got very little, the focus was on Dier and Winks as I recall.

There are different scales in play.
Exaggerating to get a penalty = OK as it was penalty vs exaggerating to get someone red carded = not OK even though it was a red card.
Of course neither should need to be exaggerated.

It’s not the sort of thing that deserves credit. It’s clever play but you don’t want to encourage that kind of behaviour. It’s not a great advert for the game when players feign injury like that. It is what it is and I have no sympathy for United and I’m glad we benefitted from it but I really don’t think it’s something that deserves praise or celebration. Makes me feel uneasy as I hate it when other teams do it to us.

Doesn't mean you airbrush his contribution, which was considerable, out of the reports.

Lot of people saying Lamela should be embarrased and it's not right etc.

I can tell you one thing, Jose would have walked over to Lamela in the dressing room at full time, patted his head and given that ol' Jose wink saying good lad. I want to win, i want spurs to win and be successful.

"You need to be clams. Not stupid clams. Intelligent clams".

mourinho-wink-jose-mourinho-smile-gif-13100025

Back