• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Sorry, but that was not an absolute sitter, a first time shot from outside the box with keeper and defenders in the way.
If that's a sitter then Harry, son, Eriksen and dele miss them every week.
This kind of thing twinkles me off, repeat it often enough and it becomes fact.
It's up there with Hugo and near post, Trippier can't cross, Eriksen can't tackle, Harry is to greedy and dele is a show pony.
It's time to move him on, but because of injuries, nothing else.

But Eriksen really can't tackle. It's fact. ;)

Ideally a swap + money with a Seria A player... his stock is still reasonable in Italy

It is? Since when? Hasnt played there in a very long time. Back then he was a precocious young talent, now he is a proven injury liability who hasnt actually improved in the intervening years...

Someone will take him off our hands. Barca signed Paulinho ffs!

Don’t think we will get £30m for him though.

He started off on fire this season, shame his form reverted to type and injuries derailed him yet again.

Obviously we want as much as we can get for him, but we dont need £30m for a transfer to be profitable. I would wager his book value is basically nil, which may well mean Levy would accept less than £30m.

He scored six goals in around ten games at the start of this season, plus three assists. He was on great form. I get that you've never liked or rated him, but some credit where it's due.

I also understand fans frustrations with his injuries, but he is a valuable squad member when fit, effort and tenacity aside.

It will be a sad day if we sell him, but like many I'm starting to become resigned to the prospect. Hope he can get his body right one last time.

The thing for me, was during that period I was just waiting for his form to drop through the floor or (more likely) him to disappear with injury.

And so it was.

And we basically havent seen him since. As we all expect.

When he comes back I dont even get excited, I just wonder how long before he will be out injured again. When a player has that effect, its time to go IMO.

But Eriksen really can't tackle. It's fact. ;)
He really can tackle, and pretty well at that.
He just doesn't do it very often.
Up to this season he didn't need to, he was very good at shutting down passing lanes, this season he always seems to be on the wrong side, but then our press has been pants which makes it difficult to shut down.

Anyway, this wilf fella.

He really can tackle, and pretty well at that.
He just doesn't do it very often.

Up to this season he didn't need to, he was very good at shutting down passing lanes, this season he always seems to be on the wrong side, but then our press has been pants which makes it difficult to shut down.

Anyway, this wilf fella.

Of course he can i agree, the problem is that one fan says ( he can not tackle) it and before you know it others follow the same path. He is not in the team to dive in like others do ( Dier, Wanyama, the defenders) he is there to create chances and he does that as well as any player in the Prem.

He scored six goals in around ten games at the start of this season, plus three assists. He was on great form. I get that you've never liked or rated him, but some credit where it's due.

I also understand fans frustrations with his injuries, but he is a valuable squad member when fit, effort and tenacity aside.

It will be a sad day if we sell him, but like many I'm starting to become resigned to the prospect. Hope he can get his body right one last time.

That’s great and I was really starting to change my opinion of him when he was scoring regularly but he’s never done it once consistently over the course of a season in terms of goals, in six seasons. Eriksen and son have scored 10+ league goals more than once, don’t think Lamela has managed more than five?

I really don’t understand how/why this forum has to deal in absolutes. If you want a player to offer more end product then it means you “never rated him”. For as long as I can remember you’ve talked him up in match threads even when he’s played a 5 out of 10 and that’s fine everyone is entitled to rate him however they like. I personally think he’s overrated on this forum. For me he’s a South American Aaron Lennon which doesn’t mean he’s a bad player, we just need more consistency and a healthier player who isn’t so injury prone.

He has a year left on his contract IIRC which means we won’t get great value for him. Trouble is his injury record means it would be unwise IMO to give him a new contract. We may almost be better off letting him run his contract down and sell him when/if we get a reasonable offer.

Id just sell him. Take what money we can (as I said it wont be a loss) and get someone else.

Aside from what cash he brings in which can go toward strengthening the squad, his sale also releases a valuable foreign spot in the 25 - something we currently are having issues with.

For me its not even about whether or not he is a good player (decent, no more, IMO) but what value he has to the squad.

And I feel its proven beyond doubt you cannot rely on him to be there when needed. So what use is he really?

Of course he can i agree, the problem is that one fan says ( he can not tackle) it and before you know it others follow the same path. He is not in the team to dive in like others do ( Dier, Wanyama, the defenders) he is there to create chances and he does that as well as any player in the Prem.

Sorry, totally disagree that "he can tackle". Or, to at least be realistic and adult about it, ...he doesn't tackle effectively.

Did you see the 50-50 against West Ham that I think occurred after Dele lost posession?? The ball ran loose, it was clearly there to be won, but unfortunately it fell to Eriksen who pussied the tackle completely. As a result, West Ham came away with it and launched a dangerous counter attack.
Now of course, the blame in that instance lies with Dele initially, and I'm not asking Eriksen to "dive in like Dier and Wanyama" to quote your post. But fcuk me, Eriksen really doesn't do anything to even try and go in strong.

I have lost count of the times there's been a relative 50-50, either on the deck or in the air, only to see Eriksen go in so, so tamely. He barely jumps and turns his back into an aerial challenge. And on the floor he looks so scared to tackle with any strength or venom.

For the record, I'm not an Eriksen hater. He's prob knitting our current bit-part 11 together at the moment.
But I can't condone a player who can't attribute himself to one of the very basics of the game. I don't care if it's "not his game". It's a fecking tackle and he really is so so poor at it.

Sorry, totally disagree that "he can tackle". Or, to at least be realistic and adult about it, ...he doesn't tackle effectively.

Did you see the 50-50 against West Ham that I think occurred after Dele lost posession?? The ball ran loose, it was clearly there to be won, but unfortunately it fell to Eriksen who pussied the tackle completely. As a result, West Ham came away with it and launched a dangerous counter attack.
Now of course, the blame in that instance lies with Dele initially, and I'm not asking Eriksen to "dive in like Dier and Wanyama" to quote your post. But fcuk me, Eriksen really doesn't do anything to even try and go in strong.

I have lost count of the times there's been a relative 50-50, either on the deck or in the air, only to see Eriksen go in so, so tamely. He barely jumps and turns his back into an aerial challenge. And on the floor he looks so scared to tackle with any strength or venom.

For the record, I'm not an Eriksen hater. He's prob knitting our current bit-part 11 together at the moment.
But I can't condone a player who can't attribute himself to one of the very basics of the game. I don't care if it's "not his game". It's a fecking tackle and he really is so so poor at it.

I think you need to look beyond that though,
if he injured, ala Harry, going into a tackle then our season is over.
As long as his contribution in other areas outweighs his tackling deficiency Im willing to overlook it. Sometimes this season it hasn't and he has deserved getting called out.
Players aren't perfect (except Sissoko obviously) , Harry can be greedy, dele likes his 'megs' etc, but most of the time these small failings can be ignored because of the good they do.

Reactions: DTA
All well and good, but its a bit much to then argue Eriksen is good at tackling when he just isnt.

He is good at closing space, closing players down and forcing a pass/blocking a passing lane/intercepting... the "movement" aspects of winning the ball back he is very good at.

But when it comes to actually competing for the ball and winning it he is an abject failure.

This is not to say he doesnt offer other things, is it? Just that in this particular aspect he is weak and improvement here would be of real value to the team.

All well and good, but its a bit much to then argue Eriksen is good at tackling when he just isnt.

He is good at closing space, closing players down and forcing a pass/blocking a passing lane/intercepting... the "movement" aspects of winning the ball back he is very good at.

But when it comes to actually competing for the ball and winning it he is an abject failure.

This is not to say he doesnt offer other things, is it? Just that in this particular aspect he is weak and improvement here would be of real value to the team.

It's akin to Hugo and his kicking, he's not employed for how he distributes the ball, he's employed to keep it out the net.
Eriksen isn't employed as a tackler, he's a creative player, there's few in the game who can do both, and if there is we can't afford them.
Of course what we really need need is a hybrid of Sissoko for athleticism , Eriksen for guile, son for speedy and finishing and lamela for the black arts. Get one player to do all that and we're sorted.
Probably cost more than the stadium mind you.

I am frustrated with his injury record as the next Spurs fan but what are we realistically going to get for him because of it? £15-20mil? Not sure there is any point selling him for that sort money even with his injury record.

I would rather Eriksen did what he was good at, playing killer balls, shooting, pressing and intercepting rather than tackling or attempting to tackle like Kane and then be out for an extended time through injury.

I am frustrated with his injury record as the next Spurs fan but what are we realistically going to get for him because of it? £15-20mil? Not sure there is any point selling him for that sort money even with his injury record.
He would be very good in a less demanding league. At the moment he is basically taking up a squad place and offering very little.

He would be very good in a less demanding league. At the moment he is basically taking up a squad place and offering very little.
All of that true, but there are other players I would get shot of first. Bar the injury problems, which are a shame, he is a perfect squad player IMO. He has shown good form at the back end of last season and the start of this. He's well integrated into the squad and is an expert at brickhousing. And most importantly he has the right coloured aura. I'd keep him for now.

That’s great and I was really starting to change my opinion of him when he was scoring regularly but he’s never done it once consistently over the course of a season in terms of goals, in six seasons. Eriksen and son have scored 10+ league goals more than once, don’t think Lamela has managed more than five?

I really don’t understand how/why this forum has to deal in absolutes. If you want a player to offer more end product then it means you “never rated him”. For as long as I can remember you’ve talked him up in match threads even when he’s played a 5 out of 10 and that’s fine everyone is entitled to rate him however they like. I personally think he’s overrated on this forum. For me he’s a South American Aaron Lennon which doesn’t mean he’s a bad player, we just need more consistency and a healthier player who isn’t so injury prone.

He has a year left on his contract IIRC which means we won’t get great value for him. Trouble is his injury record means it would be unwise IMO to give him a new contract. We may almost be better off letting him run his contract down and sell him when/if we get a reasonable offer.

His goal/assistant stats are comparable to Zaha's in far fewer games. I imagine that's who you want us to blow 70+ mil on as a replacement?

I won't bother going into the detail, as I've done it before. Just be careful what you wish for is all I'll say.

The issue with Lamela is the guy is never ever fit enough to last a season and thy costs everyone else

He gets injured in warms ups and training

He also doesn’t have enough of a regular end product for a top top team

And of course he only has one foot

He has positives but right now for me he would be better off in a gentler league where he can excel

It's akin to Hugo and his kicking, he's not employed for how he distributes the ball, he's employed to keep it out the net.
Eriksen isn't employed as a tackler, he's a creative player, there's few in the game who can do both, and if there is we can't afford them.
Of course what we really need need is a hybrid of Sissoko for athleticism , Eriksen for guile, son for speedy and finishing and lamela for the black arts. Get one player to do all that and we're sorted.
Probably cost more than the stadium mind you.

Well actually he was employed as a "sweeper keeper" and his using his feet and coming out away from goal being a big reason we signed him.

That said, I thnk youre being a bit basic about this. Yes, Lloris' primary job is keeping the ball out of the net, of course it is. Does that mean his kicking isnt important? Doesnt matter? Of course it does. And were he to improve his kicking the team would be better for it (I always find it notable when Gazzanaiga is in goal, his kicking is much better imo). It can really add a dimension.

Eriksen is of course a creative player, and a damn fine one at that. Why does that mean we shouldnt expect him to work on the weaker aspects of his game though (as with all players)? Why is it too much to think he might do better with his tackling, and consequently - much like Lloris' kicking - add something more to the team?

None of this is to suggest he needs to become Roy Keane, David Batty and Paul Ince rolled into one. It is simply to say his tackling IS poor, and could be better.

Back