• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

re: lack of goals. Against Southampton Kane underhit and easy pass to put him through one on one with the keeper. It was in the second half as Lamela had taken up and excellent position on the centre half's shoulder. It was around the 70 minute mark i think. Then, in the next game, a Norwich defender cleared his shot off the line. Against Saudi Sportswashing Machine he drew 3-4 decent saves from the keeper, and was our main goal threat in the first half.

So whats my point? He could easily have three in three, is taking up the correct positions and is getting good efforts in on goal. The goals for Erik are just around the corner. I'm convinced of it. All the signs are there and he's just been on the wrong side of fine margins recently.

Its funny how opposition fans still think of the Lamela from his first seasons. This Lamela is a totally different animal and is one of our most important players. But, thats the way we like it: keep underestimating us; keep playing down the talents of Lamela; don't acknowledge Dier and Dembele; ignore that fact Lloris, Toby and Jan are probably the best partnership in the league; keep crowing over the headline grabbers like Kane and Alli. I think the majority of us on here have probably never felt so positive about a Spurs team.

7 goals in 18 game so far this season is pretty good for his position

I don't care who were playing, a goal is a goal

I have been a big critic of lamella but he is performing and is there on merit

It's hardly his fault he has scored goals vs some weaker side... Like Emirates Marketing Project

@OptaJoe
4 - Erik Lamela has scored four goals in his last five games in all competitions for Tottenham. Form.

@Squawka
Erik Lamela has now scored more goals (3) in the Premier League this season than in the whole of last season (2).

I think its in positions like that we would like to see him having a crack. Was strange today with that 4v1 that there just wasn't a pass on, either the defender did insanely well with his positioning or the movement of our players was awful.

I wondered at the time if it was on his mind that Kane was on for a hatrick and he wanted to give it to him, we have seen him almost pass behind Kane and Kane still knocks it in and thats where the ball was finally passed.

Getting very very keen to see him put pen to paper again (if he hasn't already)

Really? 4 vs. 1 situation and if Lamela had gone for the shot and not scored you would have defended it as the right decision?

Looking for the pass was easily and obviously the right thing to do.

True but by the same token it also highlights his reticence to use his right foot, when this would be the easier and more logical option - read the same for the rabona. GHod would not have played that pass because he would have dinked it to Son with his right foot...

Having said that, I must say that Lamela has shifted from the player who gave me the jitters simply from seeing his name in the starting lineup to one who gives me a shock when he does not get up immediately from a tackle through the fear of any injury that could keep him out of even a single game - that is how much is he important to our new look team.

I have had to change my expectations of him and realise that there is only one Gareth Bale and equally one Eric Lamela. His industry is a joy to see and he is finally coupling that with incisive running and good passing.

Will not hesitate to admit I was wrong about our Argentine little gem...

You know who would have played exactly that pass if it was on the other side? Luka fudging Modric that's who. He played and continues to play that outside of the right foot pass brilliantly.

It highlights how much better Lamela's left foot is than his right. But it's not really a problem.

Really? 4 vs. 1 situation and if Lamela had gone for the shot and not scored you would have defended it as the right decision?

Looking for the pass was easily and obviously the right thing to do.
A bit pedantic, I obviously meant in any situation, 4 v 1 or not, where there was no obvious pass on due to an appalling lack of movement.

So in that match yes i would have defended his decision to go for a shot, i would have applauded it actually. Further, if he had blazed over i would have defended him slagging off his team mates too.

EDIT: Just to clarify my original point somewhat, i think looking back i was commenting as much about Lamela being around the 18-22yd mark and cutting in or going wide for a crack, as much as i was specifically about that exact situation.

Lamela is scoring goals now, but not actually creating his own goal scoring opportunities.

Cheers

Really great goal today. All about awareness of what was going on around him.

Didn't attempt a rabona though, hogwash performance all in all.
I think screwing up that 4v1 last week may have been a blessing in disguise. Had it not happened, he may have looked to pass instead of going for it himself today.

I watched our Norwich and Watford games with a mate who is a Man Utd fan, has always joked about how weak we are. Now the tables have turned I'm obviously loving it but the main point is how he tried to slag of Lamela before the Norwich game to which my response was that he's become a defensive machine in the press. We then watched as he's run himself into the ground for two 90 minute games whilst at the same time maintaining a quality touch when he has the ball in tight situations.

I think it's fair to say the adjustment to Premier League has been made now we can sit back and enjoy the ride. I think Lamela is going to prove himself indispensable for the second half of this season and that includes more goals.

I watched our Norwich and Watford games with a mate who is a Man Utd fan, has always joked about how weak we are. Now the tables have turned I'm obviously loving it but the main point is how he tried to slag of Lamela before the Norwich game to which my response was that he's become a defensive machine in the press. We then watched as he's run himself into the ground for two 90 minute games whilst at the same time maintaining a quality touch when he has the ball in tight situations.

I think it's fair to say the adjustment to Premier League has been made now we can sit back and enjoy the ride. I think Lamela is going to prove himself indispensable for the second half of this season and that includes more goals.

I do have a feeling he's going to go from strength to strength now. I suppose some setbacks are inevitable, but there just seems to be a lot more coming from him.

He's not looked the proverbial player we thought we were buying in my eyes. Instead he's become a genuine Spurs player, one who's has worked and worked to discover his form. No longer a fancy signing, he's earnt his form and place through perseverance and graft. Today was a turning point for me. He is no longer tracking back and making rash fouls, he was confident to shoot today, when last game he tried to pass when clean through. MOM today.

Last edited:
I do think too much is being made of the 4 on 1. If I remember the chance correctly (unlikely at this time of year!) but wasn't Kane on a hatrick? In which case, is it not the right thing to do to be a little bit unselfish in those situations especially if we were winning?

He is pivotal for our game at this present moment in time. Long may it continue!

Love seeing Erik coming good now. His running all over the pitch yesterday, and that goal... He is one of our most important players now, and even I couldnt have dreamt writing that a year ago!

Does this form coincide with Townsend being removed from the squad? I have noticed in games last season Townsend being abit horrible to Lamela on the pitch and he seems the kind of guy to bully someone.

Probably just reading far too much into it but Lamela is playing as if a weight has been lifted.

I do think too much is being made of the 4 on 1. If I remember the chance correctly (unlikely at this time of year!) but wasn't Kane on a hatrick? In which case, is it not the right thing to do to be a little bit unselfish in those situations especially if we were winning?

He is pivotal for our game at this present moment in time. Long may it continue!

Spot on for me. Fits in well with a long list of individual situations people have made too much of with Lamela.

Working really well at the moment. We have a lot of options in those attacking positions and that's great to see. Eriksen somewhat off form, Chadli has been injured, Pritchard out all season. Alli and Lamela have stepped up big time to make stuff happen for us. If/when their form drops chances are Eriksen, Son, Chadli or Pritchard will be on an upwards trajectory instead. Essentially the opposite of a one man team.

Does this form coincide with Townsend being removed from the squad? I have noticed in games last season Townsend being abit horrible to Lamela on the pitch and he seems the kind of guy to bully someone.

Probably just reading far too much into it but Lamela is playing as if a weight has been lifted.

Not sure about that. I think looking for a single cause, or even one major cause of Lamela's form is futile.

For me he's been gradually improving for a long time now. It's been about building confidence, learning our system of play, adapting to the league, getting better and so on. All somewhat slow, and now always linear improvement, but getting better all along. A lot of what he's now being praised for he was doing last season too, but he's doing it more consistently and perhaps at a slightly higher level now.

This. It was clear as day the talent was there. But he was trying too hard, probably to justify his high price tag. Now he seems relaxed and playing within the flow of the game and it shows in his performances.

On a side note, I don't know him as a person, but he strikes me as a fighter. Someone who is going to try his hardest to succeed. It was a very rough transition coming to England and the PL and being slagged off by the fans in his first two seasons. But he hunkered down, worked hard, and proved everyone wrong. Says a lot, not only about Poch's man management, but of the character of the Lamela himself. For that alone, I'm glad he's part of this great squad we're building.

He's not looked the proverbial player we thought we were buying in my eyes. Instead he's become a genuine Spurs player, one who's has worked and worked to discover his form. No longer a fancy signing, he's earnt his form and place through perseverance and graft. Today was a turning point for me. He is no longer tracking back and making rash fouls, he was confident to shoot today, when last game he tried to pass when clean through. MOM today.
I think the problem to start off with was that everyone was thinking/expecting that we was buying the new Bale....

For the second match running he was my MOM, he really is beginning to blossom and has become a big assest to the team.

Back