• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

For the second match running he was my MOM, he really is beginning to blossom and has become a big assest to the team.

Workrate, scores +assists .. he & Dembele are the locked on midfielders at this point (amazing reflection on Poch)

What I find interesting is the talent, workrate and even flair (if not consistently) was always there.
What he has massively improved on is the basics, he seems to have lost the badly timed/placed tackles, even his running looks smoother (less clumsy), less blind alley runs, looks up more.

Right now, he and Alli seem to be the players that could make another step up to a new level (that could change us as a team)

The good news is Lamela's reputation/previous failures has him a bit under the radar

It's called settling in and adjusting to the league, near enough every foreign player is given the same treatment when they dont score a hat trick in their first game. Some take longer than others, with him you could always see some gradual improvement so most people thought he'd come good. It's just taken longer than most people thought.

It's called settling in and adjusting to the league, near enough every foreign player is given the same treatment when they dont score a hat trick in their first game. Some take longer than others, with him you could always see some gradual improvement so most people thought he'd come good. It's just taken longer than most people thought.

I agree.

But part of why it has taken longer is that his first season he barely could do any settling in because first AVB didn't give him any PL game time and then he was injured for the second half.

People have been arguing all along that his first season was essentially a write off because of that and that last season in a lot of ways was like his first season.

He now has 41 league starts for us, 59 league appearances in total. A bit over a season and a half worth of PL football behind him and really starting to settle in...

It's easy to forget too that someone like Bale took about 2-3 years to adapt to this Lge.
Even Ronaldo took a year or two to perfect and hone his taalents (and no offence to Erik, but they are a step above).

It was nice to see Lamela scoring against Watford. So far he has 8 goals and 3 assists in total : 3 goals in the league and 5 goals in Europe. He really should be scoring more in the league. I will be very disappointed if he doesn't score atleast 8 goals in the league and 15 goals in total this season. He is more than capable of doing that. He only needs to be more selfish in front of goal.

He will get 12 to 15 goals which considering his general lack of goals with us so far is an outstanding return - regardless of who their against

Tottenham Hotspur's Erik Lamela makes Watford's Heurelho Gomes eat his words

It was back in August, when Watford goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes was quoted by the London Evening Standard advising players against joining Tottenham Hotspur.

Gomes had a miserable time at White Hart Lane earlier in his career, and he wanted other players to avoid suffering a similar fate.

The Brazilian goalkeeper accused Spurs of ruining some talented players, with Erik Lamela one of the examples he used.

"Look at Lamela, was great promise in Europe, but today you watch Tottenham games and he looks like he can't play football at all,” he said.

Gomes is likely to regret making such a statement after Watford’s most recent match against Tottenham, though.

The Hornets were beaten 2-1 by Spurs on Monday, and Lamela got on the scoresheet on the fixture.

The Argentine set Tottenham on their way to victory, by dribbling past one Watford defender, before finishing beyond Gomes with aplomb.

In fairness to Gomes, Lamela had struggled at Spurs before this season, but he has improved considerably this time around.

The 23-year-old now looks to be fulfilling his potential, and that is a similar story for a number of members of Spurs’ squad.

The likes of Dele Alli, Eric Dier, Harry Kane and Moussa Dembele have all improved considerably under the guidance of Mauricio Pochettino, and Spurs are now one of the most attractive clubs in England to join.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/12/2...symbolic-photo-on-twitter-kane-and-da/page/1/

----------------------------------------------

Well, Lamela answered Gomez in the best way possible, by scoring the goal. Considering Gomes was partly at fault for both the goals, maybe he should concentrate more on his own career instead of commenting about other players.

Looking like the player we thought we were buying now - if that continues, we have goals in abundance across our fwd line

And that's something we've not had in a long time.

Obviously Kane is a goal scorer, Alli has that Lampard-like ability to pop up, Eriksen has a nose for a goal, especially, at set pieces, Chadli is a double figures man in a full season, Lamela is starting to contribute and Son looks like he has the knack.

It is really encouraging not to have to rely on just or two players to score, stands us in good stead.

Jermaine Jenas claims his opinion on Tottenham's Erik Lamela has changed, credits Pochettino

Jermaine Jenas has hailed the improvement of Tottenham ace Erik Lamela.

Former Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas has told Yahoo Sport that Spurs winger Erik Lamela 'looks like a different player' thanks to Mauricio Pochettino.

Spurs sit fourth in the Premier League table, just four points adrift of league leaders Arsenal after a 2-1 victory over Watford on Monday evening.

With just two defeats this season, Tottenham are having a remarkable campaign under manager Pochettino, who has helped develop the likes of Eric Dier, Dele Alli and Harry Kane.

Other players such as Kyle Walker, Danny Rose and Mousa Dembele have all improved under Pochettino's stewardship, but if any player symbolises the Pochettino era, it's his compatriot Erik Lamela.

The Argentine winger was signed in 2013 as a replacement for Gareth Bale, but struggled in his first two seasons, scoring just six goals in his first two campaigns.

This term though, Lamela has already hit eight goals, including a goal in that win over Watford, and he is now becoming a key member of the Tottenham side.

Now, ex-Spurs midfielder Jermaine Jenas has told Yahoo Sport that he initially felt Lamela was lagging behind Andros Townsend as White Hart Lane, but has now admitted that his opinion of the hard-working wide man has changed - and credits Pochettino for the improvement in Lamela's performance.

"It was interesting to see that Erik Lamela notched his fourth goal in five games against Watford on Monday," said Jenas. "He's certainly picked up this season and the numbers prove it. He's already managed more Premier League goals this season after 17 games than he had in his previous two seasons combined."

"I remember watching him early on in his Spurs' career and I'd just get frustrated. I thought he looked slow and lightweight, he was most definitely a fish out of water. Even at the start of the season I questioned why they were persisting with him when they had someone like Andros Townsend on the bench chomping at the bit to play. He was clearly struggling to adapt to the English game."

"Now he looks like a different player. I've watched him this season and he's been charging round, looking determined, and I think a lot of the credit for that has to go to Mauricio Pochettino. I've spoken to some of the boys at the club and Pochettino's methods – including double sessions in the lead up to Christmas – are clearly paying dividends. In the case of Lamela, he looks fitter, faster, and he's starting to take players on, which is what he's supposed to do as an attacking midfielder," he added.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/12/3...opinion-on-tottenhams-erik-lamela-has/page/1/

----------------------------------------------------

Well, as he is winning over his critics, Lamela should be more careful about his opponents. He might become a target man as shown by the bad tackle on him against Watford.

"I remember watching him early on in his Spurs' career and I'd just get frustrated.

I had to chuckle at that, JJ is/was the player I have been more frustrated about in 50 years of watching Spurs. He had the lot ( imo) but as I have said before for some reason he never showed it on a regular basis.

"I remember watching him early on in his Spurs' career and I'd just get frustrated.

I had to chuckle at that, JJ is/was the player I have been more frustrated about in 50 years of watching Spurs. He had the lot ( imo) but as I have said before for some reason he never showed it on a regular basis.

Made me laugh as well as I had the same thought as you re Jenas. Regardless, I think that pundits and supporters alike expect things too quickly and Lamela is a case in point. Bought by AVB, then given Sherwood = first season. Second season played under Poch, new system and actually did start to deliver at the tail end of the season. People say that it normally takes about a season to adjust to the EPL. Well the adjustment is out of the way, and we can now see him flourish!

Made me laugh as well as I had the same thought as you re Jenas. Regardless, I think that pundits and supporters alike expect things too quickly and Lamela is a case in point. Bought by AVB, then given Sherwood = first season. Second season played under Poch, new system and actually did start to deliver at the tail end of the season. People say that it normally takes about a season to adjust to the EPL. Well the adjustment is out of the way, and we can now see him flourish!

Yep I agree, unfortunately we live in a era where a lot of fans expect immediate results ( with players and managers), he was a kid who had come into a foreign land, too a much harder/physical game, probably put in a hotel for a while and its no wonder he struggled to adapt. Anyone who has moved to a different country would know its not always easy to do that.

Not a reaction to today's average performance, but I still think if we're really going to push on, we need a quality goal threat from the wings.

In the summer, I'd like to see us looking for a new right winger (with the assumption Eriksen will play from the left).

I don't think he's terrible - he works hard, offers good pace and can breakaway well - but there's no goal threat, no real idea of what to do and can't beat a man with skill. And yes, I'm aware of the hattrick. Happy for him to compete with a new right winger.

He didn't have a great game but the ball didn't quite fun for him

Same as Kane and a few others but the pitch wouldn't have helped

Is never been his biggest fan but he has been one of our better players this season and hey if we can get a genuine upgrade then brilliant but I warm to him more and more game by game

I don't see an excellent footballer there. Good athlete, good attitude, but doesn't seem to have a clue of what to do with the ball. He likes a clip over the top of the defence, which has worked relatively well, but I think it's more a product of desperation/no other options, than anything else.

I don't especially wish to sell him, but his value is still going to be good in the summer. £15M could be put towards a better option, like Mahrez, who carries real threat and is used to pressing, or perhaps even Sissoko, who's interesting, if not outstanding either.

Felt today he was caught between two positions again. Wasn't going as far forward as he has been recently and that nullified him. Can only assume Poch had asked to be a bit more defensive.
Thought the booking was very harsh, the Everton player was pulling him back, was it Coleman? Wasn't he on a booking already? If so by letter of the law he is off and I think the ref bottled that and gave the easy decision against Lamella

Not a reaction to today's average performance, but I still think if we're really going to push on, we need a quality goal threat from the wings.

In the summer, I'd like to see us looking for a new right winger (with the assumption Eriksen will play from the left).

I don't think he's terrible - he works hard, offers good pace and can breakaway well - but there's no goal threat, no real idea of what to do and can't beat a man with skill. And yes, I'm aware of the hattrick. Happy for him to compete with a new right winger.

Whether it's Lamela or someone else dropping out, I agree that to move on to the next level we need a genuinely top class player in the 3 behind Kane. Our current options are decent but we don't have a Hazard, Silva, Sanchez, Willian etc

Whether it's Lamela or someone else dropping out, I agree that to move on to the next level we need a genuinely top class player in the 3 behind Kane. Our current options are decent but we don't have a Hazard, Silva, Sanchez, Willian etc

Ah, yes, but then they don't have an Alli.

I don't see an excellent footballer there. Good athlete, good attitude, but doesn't seem to have a clue of what to do with the ball. He likes a clip over the top of the defence, which has worked relatively well, but I think it's more a product of desperation/no other options, than anything else.

I don't especially wish to sell him, but his value is still going to be good in the summer. £15M could be put towards a better option, like Mahrez, who carries real threat and is used to pressing, or perhaps even Sissoko, who's interesting, if not outstanding either.

Nonsense. Lamela has scored a good quantity of goals, has been our best player on more than a couple of occasions and has displayed technique above that which seems to be attributed to him if this post has anything to do with it.

Back