• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Erik Lamela takes hat-trick ball home in CARRIER BAG after netting Europa League treble

The Argentine winger netted the first hat-trick of his professional career during Spurs' 4-1 win over Monaco at White Hart Lane

Erik-Lamela-main.jpg

Erik Lamela took the match ball home in a carrier bag after scoring a hat-trick inTottenham's win over Monaco in the Europa League.

It took the Argentine just 37 minutes to net three times and send Spurs in at half-time three goals to the good.

Monaco's Stephan El Shaarawy narrowed the deficit to two goals on the hour mark but Tom Carroll's close range finish restored the three-goal advantage and secured top spot in Group J for Mauricio Pochettino's side.

After the game, with a lack of alternative options, man of the match Lamela was spotted stuffing the ball into a plastic bag.

The 23-year-old has gone from a £30million misfit to a key player at White Hart Lane over the past two years.

Tottenham-vs-Monaco-Europa-League-Group-Stage.jpg

Hat-trick hero: Lamela slots home his third of the night with his right foot
And boss Mauricio Pochettino sang the winger's praises after his three-goal salvo.

"It is true that today he is more confident and looks a different player from two years ago," Pochettino said.

"There are always a lot of reasons for the improvement of a player. First of all, a young player like Lamela has arrived at a new country. He is a very special boy but he needed time to adapt and not only on the pitch.

"When you score a hat-trick you don't have to say anything more because it was great for him and great for the team. It helped the team to finish at the top.

"Lamela has not surprised me, he is a great talent and okay, you always need a little bit of luck to score but he scored three goals and its normal that he deserves all the praise and the headlines. That is football.

"Always the younger players need time. They need time to improve, they need time to adapt their game to a new culture and a new country and sometimes it is a difficult process. Some players are quick, some it takes time."

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/erik-lamela-takes-hat-trick-6995350

------------------------------------------------------

Well done to Lamela for getting his first ever hattrick in his career. Hope he will score more goals for us.

Erik Lamela dreaming of Champions League football with Tottenham as winger continues revival after slow start at White Hart Lane
  • Erik Lamela has endured slow start to career in England with Tottenham
  • Lamela amassed number of trophies as a junior at local team Santa Rita
  • He has been largely disappointing in his first two campaigns at Spurs
  • However, he hit a hat-trick as his side defeated Monaco in Europa League
  • The former Roma winger is beginning to find his feet at White Hart Lane
By SAM CUNNINGHAM FOR THE MAIL ON SUNDAY

Erik Lamela won so many trophies as a junior they filled the attic of his family home in Buenos Aires.

He amassed them playing for his local team Santa Rita, a small neighbourhood in Argentina's capital a decade ago, scoring more than 120 goals in one season alone.

An impressive start, but the 23-year-old has been largely disappointing in his first two campaigns at Tottenham since a £30million move from Roma.

However, the hat-trick he struck against Monaco on Thursday night, his first for the club, showed he still knows where the goal is.

The third was his seventh strike of what is starting to turn into a season of renaissance.

Lamela was supposed to be the new Gareth Bale, signed by Andre Villas-Boas on the back of an exciting 15-goal season in Serie A. An ominous task and one he has struggled to fulfil.

But Lamela has been under pressure ever since he was a promising teenager with long blond hair and skills beyond his years. In Argentina, he was first considered the next Diego Maradona. Then comparisons to Lionel Messi began, a player only four years his senior.

'When you are that young you don't listen to what is going on around you,' Lamela said. 'I wasn't aware of the comparisons then and all I'm thinking about now is the present and the future.'

But the past holds many reasons as to why Lamela has been so highly rated his whole career.

As a young player at River Plate, Barcelona are believed to have offered him a £100,000-per-year contract, plus a family home, education funding for his brothers — older sibling Brian and younger Axel — and employment for his mother, Miriam, and father, Jose.

It was a similar deal to that which tempted Messi from Newell's Old Boys, another of Argentina's top-flight sides.

But, after negotiating a fee with River, the La Liga giants were spurned on this occasion.

'Eventually we reached an agreement to keep Erik at the club,' Miriam said. 'He was too young to go to Europe, it would've been too much of a responsibility for him, to know that his family had to move because of him. I didn't want him to have such pressure.'

But Lamela always wanted to test his ability in Europe. Spain was his preferred choice but moves to Italy and England materialised instead.

Manager Mauricio Pochettino, sharing an Argentine connection, has been crucial in his Spurs stabilising. While some were happy to cut their losses on the player, Pochettino can still remember the teenager coming through in his home country surrounded by all those weighty comparisons.

Marseille president Vincent Labrune said three months ago that they had an agreement with Lamela, his agent and the club to sign him, but the deal fell through on deadline day.

Lamela denies that he was going to leave in the summer. Nonetheless, Pochettino warned the player that this season is his last chance to prove his worth.

'It has never been my intention to leave,' Lamela insisted. 'Pochettino has helped me a lot and one of the reasons is that the training sessions are really tough. The coaches really push us hard and we can see the benefits.'

His English has come on immensely. He still requested a translator to speak to print journalists after the Monaco win, but he communicated in perfectly good English on post-match television.

'If at the end of the season we can look back and see Spurs in the top four that would be a great personal achievement and it would prove that the team has done a great job as well,' he said.

'I am very confident about the squad and the team we have at the moment. When we are playing at our top form we can take on any-one.'

Maybe Lamela just likes the pressure of expectation. The trophy cabinet is looking pretty bare from his time in Europe and Tottenham would benefit from a few more Lamela hat-tricks to help fill it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...inues-revival-slow-start-White-Hart-Lane.html

---------------------------------------------------

For all his skills and work rate, Lamela should and could go on a goal scoring run like Kane and Vardy. He really needs to belief in his own ability to score more goals. He always gets into a goal scoring positions but tends to pass instead of trying to score himself. Pochettino should be demanding him to score more from those positions.

Thought he was our best player against Saudi Sportswashing Machine yesterday. I was puzzled that Poch took him off to bring Chadli on. I know Chadli has goals in him but Lamela had looked the player most likely to unlock their defence.

Erik Lamela named to Europa League Team of the Group Stage
By Rob Usry@RobUsry on Dec 15, 2015, 4:33p

was a very productive Europa League group stage for Tottenham Hotspur in 2015. Finishing first in Group J over worthy competitors like Anderlecht and AS Monaco. UEFA has singled out one Spurs player to add to their "Team of the Group Stage". Erik Lamela is the player who deservedly earns this distinguished honor.

CWRls1iXAAAsR1V.png

The man who goes by the nickname "Coco" scored five goals in the group stage, which is good for a tie for second most in the competition. His hat trick in the final group match against Monaco helped Spurs clinch top spot in the group.

As early as the beginning of last season, rumors swirled around Lamela's future at the club after a horrid start to his Spurs career. Finally, he's settled in at Tottenham and has become a vital part of Mauricio Pochettino's youth revolution. It's certainly a treat to see such a talent come good for the club.

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...k-lamela-named-europa-league-team-group-stage

-------------------------------------

Well done to Lamela. I think he has been in great form so far, especially in EL. Lamela now has 5 goals in EL. Only 2 players have scored more than that so far : Aduriz of Ath.Bilbao and Bobadilla of Augsburg.

Erik Lamela named to Europa League Team of the Group Stage
By Rob Usry@RobUsry on Dec 15, 2015, 4:33p

was a very productive Europa League group stage for Tottenham Hotspur in 2015. Finishing first in Group J over worthy competitors like Anderlecht and AS Monaco. UEFA has singled out one Spurs player to add to their "Team of the Group Stage". Erik Lamela is the player who deservedly earns this distinguished honor.

CWRls1iXAAAsR1V.png

The man who goes by the nickname "Coco" scored five goals in the group stage, which is good for a tie for second most in the competition. His hat trick in the final group match against Monaco helped Spurs clinch top spot in the group.

As early as the beginning of last season, rumors swirled around Lamela's future at the club after a horrid start to his Spurs career. Finally, he's settled in at Tottenham and has become a vital part of Mauricio Pochettino's youth revolution. It's certainly a treat to see such a talent come good for the club.

http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...k-lamela-named-europa-league-team-group-stage

-------------------------------------

Well done to Lamela. I think he has been in great form so far, especially in EL. Lamela now has 5 goals in EL. Only 2 players have scored more than that so far : Aduriz of Ath.Bilbao and Bobadilla of Augsburg.

Hey, Raul Bobadilla! I remember we were linked with him once, all the way back in that magical summer of 2010 when we also got close to signing Kjaer and Cavani from Palermo. :p

Well, Lamela really needs to show those killer instinct in front of goal in the league. After scoring that hattrick against Monaco, he should be scoring more goals like that in the league.

He was good today. Very involved. So good at pressing. He doesn't stop.

He's been good this season, whats changed recently for me with Lamela is

- He's more of a goal threat (which is why we bought him)
- I'm no longer afraid he's going to fudge up with a bad tackle/foul or giveaway (he's cleaned that up a lot)

The effort and work ethic was always there ... be really interesting if 3-4 seasons into their Spurs career he and Dembele end up living up to their talent ..

I've been openly critical of him in the past and this year I've said he has to show it against the brick teams that dont Let us play rather than just the good ones .. Today wasn't quite that but I thought he had a very good game again

He was good today. Very involved. So good at pressing. He doesn't stop.

I agree, he is turning out to be a very important player for us. I can not believe how hard he works and I have not seen anyone do as much as he does since Perryman ( different players I know but the work ethic is the same).

IIRC I think Alli and Lamela are our fittest 2, also Bentaleb ... based on comments from players about pre-season and stuff

Back