• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Give over, I was at the Kingpower.......he was as bad there as he was good on Saturday.

And Stoke at home where he was atrocious

Let's see how he does over the next 4/5 games and see.

Maybe he has turned the corner. Maybe the art old about sons work influence Lamellas game is true. Maybe city's lack of effort helped Lamella.

We won't know until we play more defensive sides who don't attack an need some brilliance to break them down

Tottenham Hotspur: More key passes and successful dribbles than the rest – stats reveal Lamela is becoming key

Football statistics analysts WhoScored.com give their verdict on the changing fortunes of Erik Lamela at White Hart Lane. For more Tottenham stats, check out their club page on WhoScored.com.

When Tottenham secured the services of Erik Lamela back in 2013, a buzz of excitement emanated around White Hart Lane. The Argentine signed for a club-record £30m fromRoma as the Gareth Bale transfer saga waged on, with Lamela the player tasked with filling the Welshman’s boots at White Hart Lane. Now-former technical director Franco Baldini utilised his exhaustive contact list to bring the 23-year-old to London, with it somewhat poetic that the Italian was relieved of his duties at Spurs in the wake of one of the attacker’s finest performances for the club.

Lamela was awarded the WhoScored.com man of the match award in Spurs’ 4-1 thumping of Emirates Marketing Project with a rating of 8.76. The former Roma star provided the assist for Toby Alderweireld’s second half header, before turning goalscorer late on to bag only his third league goal since signing for the club. It marks what has certainly been a huge upturn in form of late for Lamela, who was strongly linked with a move away from Spurs during the transfer window. A host of Italian teams were prepared to take a chance on the youngster over the summer, but the North London side opted to retain his services.

Reserving a seat in the last chance saloon, Lamela's recent form suggests he is ready and willing to bat away his critics in a bid to make a name of himself at White Hart Lane. Of course, the summer arrivals have certainly aided his improvement in form. One of the problems with the Spurs attack had been the lack of pace in the final third. As technically gifted as Lamela, Christian Eriksen and Nacer Chadli are, the trio are not the quickest attackers in the game, despite the former possessing decent pace. Andros Townsend offers speed up front, but his wastefulness often hinders Spurs.

The captures of Clinton N’Jie and Heung-min Son suggested Mauricio Pochettino had identified the problem and subsequently rectified the issue, with chairman Daniel Levy spending around £30m to secure the services of the duo. The former may have been restricted to a handful of sub appearances, but the latter has certainly made an immediate impact. Indeed, Son has instantly become a fan favourite on Seven Sisters Road, such has been the quality of his performances in a white shirt. The winning goal in the recent 1-0 win over Crystal Palace certainly helped.

Spurs suddenly look rejuvenated after a lacklustre start to the season, evident in the 4-1 win over City this past weekend. One of those reaping the benefits is, without question, Lamela. The Argentina international has a better WhoScored.com rating (7.72) than every Spurs player in the league this season, when only taking starts into consideration. Impressive outings against FK Karabakh, Palace and City have coincided with Son’s blistering start to life at Spurs.

Given the South Korean’s attacking capability, he drags opposition markers out of position, thus freeing up space in the final third. As such, Lamela – a commendable performer with the ball at his feet – can find pockets to utilise his creative qualities. No Spurs player has played more key passes than Lamela (16) in the Premier League this season. Of the three games both he and Son have started together – the aforementioned wins over Karabakh, Palace and City – the attacker has played more key passes (7) than any other Spurs player.

Son’s close control and speed means he has completed more successful dribbles (8) than any other teammate in the same run of games. Lamela (6) is second on that list. He is evidently maximising the space afforded to him by Son’s clever movement off the ball, as well as perhaps being spurred on by an increase in competition. As such, Lamela looks far more composed in possession, with his vision enabling him to pick the right pass to create potential goalscoring opportunities.

£30m is an awful lot of money to spend on any player, regardless of potential or ability. Spurs and Pochettino have invested a lot of time in Lamela in a bid to see their club-record signing come good. In home games, one can often hear the Tottenham manager and assistant Jesus Perez talking the Argentine through matches, and the player is now adhering to the demands of staff. With Son in the attack and pace injected into the frontline, supporters are finally seeing the best of the young wideman.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/totte...ts-reveal-lamela-becoming#vrsUHo4VBPWLcRhz.99

Lol yeah. I do think there's some interesting stats/points in that article, especially how Son is helping Lamellas rise in form....

I think the fact that Poch has decided to inject some pace and runners into our side ( both Son and Nije) will help Lamella and Eriksen going forward. Both Lamella and Eriksen suffered last season because we had no one really making runs for them.

There complimentary players and its worked so far (long may that continue)

What I like about Son, Lamella and Eriksen is their work rate. Yep Arisen doesn't depend particularly well but he still run as much as anyone on the pitch

Its Chadlis biggest failure for me, what he does without the ball :(

Reactions: DTA
Tottenham Hotspur: More key passes and successful dribbles than the rest – stats reveal Lamela is becoming key

Football statistics analysts WhoScored.com give their verdict on the changing fortunes of Erik Lamela at White Hart Lane. For more Tottenham stats, check out their club page on WhoScored.com.

When Tottenham secured the services of Erik Lamela back in 2013, a buzz of excitement emanated around White Hart Lane. The Argentine signed for a club-record £30m fromRoma as the Gareth Bale transfer saga waged on, with Lamela the player tasked with filling the Welshman’s boots at White Hart Lane. Now-former technical director Franco Baldini utilised his exhaustive contact list to bring the 23-year-old to London, with it somewhat poetic that the Italian was relieved of his duties at Spurs in the wake of one of the attacker’s finest performances for the club.

Lamela was awarded the WhoScored.com man of the match award in Spurs’ 4-1 thumping of Emirates Marketing Project with a rating of 8.76. The former Roma star provided the assist for Toby Alderweireld’s second half header, before turning goalscorer late on to bag only his third league goal since signing for the club. It marks what has certainly been a huge upturn in form of late for Lamela, who was strongly linked with a move away from Spurs during the transfer window. A host of Italian teams were prepared to take a chance on the youngster over the summer, but the North London side opted to retain his services.

Reserving a seat in the last chance saloon, Lamela's recent form suggests he is ready and willing to bat away his critics in a bid to make a name of himself at White Hart Lane. Of course, the summer arrivals have certainly aided his improvement in form. One of the problems with the Spurs attack had been the lack of pace in the final third. As technically gifted as Lamela, Christian Eriksen and Nacer Chadli are, the trio are not the quickest attackers in the game, despite the former possessing decent pace. Andros Townsend offers speed up front, but his wastefulness often hinders Spurs.

The captures of Clinton N’Jie and Heung-min Son suggested Mauricio Pochettino had identified the problem and subsequently rectified the issue, with chairman Daniel Levy spending around £30m to secure the services of the duo. The former may have been restricted to a handful of sub appearances, but the latter has certainly made an immediate impact. Indeed, Son has instantly become a fan favourite on Seven Sisters Road, such has been the quality of his performances in a white shirt. The winning goal in the recent 1-0 win over Crystal Palace certainly helped.

Spurs suddenly look rejuvenated after a lacklustre start to the season, evident in the 4-1 win over City this past weekend. One of those reaping the benefits is, without question, Lamela. The Argentina international has a better WhoScored.com rating (7.72) than every Spurs player in the league this season, when only taking starts into consideration. Impressive outings against FK Karabakh, Palace and City have coincided with Son’s blistering start to life at Spurs.

Given the South Korean’s attacking capability, he drags opposition markers out of position, thus freeing up space in the final third. As such, Lamela – a commendable performer with the ball at his feet – can find pockets to utilise his creative qualities. No Spurs player has played more key passes than Lamela (16) in the Premier League this season. Of the three games both he and Son have started together – the aforementioned wins over Karabakh, Palace and City – the attacker has played more key passes (7) than any other Spurs player.

Son’s close control and speed means he has completed more successful dribbles (8) than any other teammate in the same run of games. Lamela (6) is second on that list. He is evidently maximising the space afforded to him by Son’s clever movement off the ball, as well as perhaps being spurred on by an increase in competition. As such, Lamela looks far more composed in possession, with his vision enabling him to pick the right pass to create potential goalscoring opportunities.

£30m is an awful lot of money to spend on any player, regardless of potential or ability. Spurs and Pochettino have invested a lot of time in Lamela in a bid to see their club-record signing come good. In home games, one can often hear the Tottenham manager and assistant Jesus Perez talking the Argentine through matches, and the player is now adhering to the demands of staff. With Son in the attack and pace injected into the frontline, supporters are finally seeing the best of the young wideman.

Read more at http://talksport.com/football/totte...ts-reveal-lamela-becoming#vrsUHo4VBPWLcRhz.99

Hopefully this kind of thing filters back to Lamela himself. It can only boost his confidence. Over the past two years we've seen how fragile his confidence really is. He needs to feel like he belongs. Like he's here on merit. Which he is on the last few games.

Still baby steps...

I feel another stats mean nothing debate coming....

Key passes is the most flimflam stat there is. Feels like it is something important. However its just any pass that leads to a shot (on or off target).
Any corner should be a key pass. We get more corners than most teams. Lamela takes them.
Also in general any player on the field with Townsend gets key passes for passing to him.

I think the fact that Poch has decided to inject some pace and runners into our side ( both Son and Nije) will help Lamella and Eriksen going forward. Both Lamella and Eriksen suffered last season because we had no one really making runs for them.

I think we would have to agree that Poch spent the season making a clear assessment of exactly what he didn't have, how he could get rid of it and what he wanted. I wonder if (when Pritchard is fit) we will see Townsend sold simply to keep squad smaller and build on potential. Will be interesting. Another player who will end up benefitting here is Kane. Bright future ahead!

The most important thing for lamela yesterday was not anything he done......it was the standing ovation and the big cuddle from poch when he came off.

Regardless of how messed your head is and confidence fragile, those two things blow so much sh#t away that all of a sudden you're well and truly up and running. He'll be gagging for Thursday.

He'll also be rested Thursday Imo

Key passes is the most hogwash stat there is. Feels like it is something important. However its just any pass that leads to a shot (on or off target).
Any corner should be a key pass. We get more corners than most teams. Lamela takes them.
13,000 corners were measured by OPTA between 2011 and 2013, only 12% resulted directly in a shot. Most of them were probably Stoke.

IF we connect with corners at the average rate (and I suspect we're skewed towards the bottom end of that stat) then at 5.43 corners per match, that's less than one key pass per 1.5 90s and slightly over one assist in 10. So that's probably less skewed than it is for Eriksen or any other free kick taker.

Can we get rid of the "All his key passes/assists are from corners" myth now?

Also in general any player on the field with Townsend gets key passes for passing to him.
That's true.

Last edited:
He'll also be rested Thursday Imo
Sadly I get that feeling too. Which is a shame as one thing lamela definitely looks is fit as a butchers dog.
Plus we have no league cup now , so just the EL til Xmas. So we will hv weeks with no midweek game. Although he has just been brought back in to the argentina squad.(which is a shame for us)

I think we would have to agree that Poch spent the season making a clear assessment of exactly what he didn't have, how he could get rid of it and what he wanted. I wonder if (when Pritchard is fit) we will see Townsend sold simply to keep squad smaller and build on potential. Will be interesting. Another player who will end up benefitting here is Kane. Bright future ahead!

Would go along with that, it takes time for a good manager to build a team and style of play ( although there are a lot of fans who have no patience for that), and you can see the improvement under Poch. There is still a way to go especially because of the young players who will have bad days among the good.

As for Townsend I really see no place for him as a regular and we should move him on in Jan ( when we should be able to get a good price for him).

13,000 corners were measured by OPTA between 2011 and 2013, only 12% resulted directly in a shot. Most of them were probably Stoke.

IF we connect with corners at the average rate (and I suspect we're skewed towards the bottom end of that stat) then at 5.43 corners per match, that's less than one key pass per 1.5 90s and slightly over one assist in 10. So that's probably less skewed than it is for Eriksen or any other free kick taker.

Can we get rid of the "All his key passes/assists are from corners" myth now?

That's true.

I hope so too!

Would go along with that, it takes time for a good manager to build a team and style of play ( although there are a lot of fans who have no patience for that), and you can see the improvement under Poch. There is still a way to go especially because of the young players who will have bad days among the good.

As for Townsend I really see no place for him as a regular and we should move him on in Jan ( when we should be able to get a good price for him).
I'm not a big fan of Townsend, but maybe, just maybe, there's a Lamela type improvement in his future? Although I do think that, if he hasn't shown any signs by mid-season, selling might not be a bad idea. I'm just thinking that, like Lamela, he plays well for the national team, so there must be a good player in there somewhere waiting to get out at club level too.

I'm not a big fan of Townsend, but maybe, just maybe, there's a Lamela type improvement in his future? Although I do think that, if he hasn't shown any signs by mid-season, selling might not be a bad idea. I'm just thinking that, like Lamela, he plays well for the national team, so there must be a good player in there somewhere waiting to get out at club level too.

I completely agree with you. There's no sense in writing off a player when they are showing the potential. I would love it if Townsend can turn it on and fulfil his potential. I think the point at which we have to decide is dependent on where we are. If we are performing well mid-season, and we're not able to get a decent replacement, I'd rather we kept him and sold him in the summer.

For the first time that I can remember there isn't any player I would be in a rush to move on.
In the summer I would have been happy to move Townsend and lamella on for different reasons, but now I think stick with it. It's a squad game and our squad is a good one.

Back