• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Not sure how you can say Eriksen was our most creative player last season. He only had 2 assists. He is more a goal scorer as he scored 10 goals. You cannot discredit Lamela'a assists as there are only 15 players who had more assists than him in the PL, 14 of them with only 4 assists more than him. Only Fabregas was way too high with 18 assists.

This is why I hate us buying young players like Lamela. We always buy young but always give up on them after 2 or 3 years. We should either buy experienced players age 25 or higher or don't bother buy them at all.

Because he created more chances than him, check the chances created stats posted. Assists only tell part of the story.

I get the impression with posters like Billyiddo and Milo that deep accept that Lamela needs to improve but defend them against the more critical posters, but you seem to believe that he's one of our best players and that he doesn't need to improve?

How should we judge whether it is effective?

Just by looking, really. No need to overcomplicate things.

Carrying the ball forward without losing it isn't one of the more controversial/subjective football topics.

My position is that:
a. Townsend is very good at this;
b. It's a relatively useful skill;
c. It's one more useful skill than Lamela has;
d. Townsend offers more than Lamela.

Carrying the ball forward without losing it isn't one of the more controversial/subjective football topics.

My position is that:

But surely what happens at the end of thate
is just as important?

Is argue that eriksen would have got more assists if players like lamella, Townsend and Chadli for ex woke coils finish like him

A prime example was the Stoke game a few weeks ago where erisken put Chadli through and he passed it back to the keeper with a woeful first touch... Lamella would have probably kicked it out for a goal kick... Townsend would have checked back, tried to beat the nearest defender even if he was behind him and hit the upper tier.... Kane or Eriksen would have at least made the keeper work for it as there classy players who can do pretty much everything attacking wise

Our two highest scorers last season were Chadli and Kane, scoring 32 goals between them. Eriksen assisted one of those 32, from a corner, if he's as creative as you suggest then you'd think that figure would be a little higher than that no? Lamela assisted six of those 32 despite playing far less so there's no excuse for Eriksen. The ball for Chadli the other week was indeed a brilliant pass but look at what area of the field it came from, just outside our own box and put into acres of space behind Stoke's defence. Eriksen has those passes in his locker but he hasn't shown he has them just outside the opposition's box which is what we need from a #10.

My position is that:

Dembele it is then

But surely what happens at the end of thate
is just as important?

Of course - but we're looking at two players who have so little to offer.

My only point is that at least Townsend brings the ball forward well.

I don't see that Lamela offers anything.

Of course - but we're looking at two players who have so little to offer.

My only point is that at least Townsend brings the ball forward well.

I don't see that Lamela offers anything.

It's a bit late to be starting this argument when it looks like one or both of the players will have left by the close of the window.

Our two highest scorers last season were Chadli and Kane, scoring 32 goals between them. Eriksen assisted one of those 32, from a corner, if he's as creative as you suggest then you'd think that figure would be a little higher than that no? Lamela assisted six of those 32 despite playing far less so there's no excuse for Eriksen. The ball for Chadli the other week was indeed a brilliant pass but look at what area of the field it came from, just outside our own box and put into acres of space behind Stoke's defence. Eriksen has those passes in his locker but he hasn't shown he has them just outside the opposition's box which is what we need from a #10.

You can't get an assist if the player you assist doesn't score, that's why chances created are a more accurate stat, Eriksen created more chances for us than any other player. He went missing for games or even portions of the season whereas Lamela went missing for pretty much the entire campaign.

This corner stuff just comes across as a way to diminish his actual contribution imo - he's far more productive than Townsend in open who really offers nothing, no creativity no goals and no tracking back/pressing

But it's arguably his best area, I say this in terms of what he has achieved at Spurs as opposed to what he did at Roma.

It's a bit late to be starting this argument when it looks like one or both of the players will have left by the close of the window.
I doubt Townsend will be going anywhere this window, and Im quite comfortable with Lamela going now we have both Nije and Son recruited. Shame really, I was one of those that believed he would come good but in this case looks like blind optimism. Still wouldnt be surprised to see him go on and become a top player though....

Really? I have not seen anything that says Townsend if off? He should be in the squad today as he is now fit. So be interesting to see if he makes the bench.

For what its worth. I agree with Lugash. In that although Townsend is very very frustrating and seems to play better for England. I think at this moment he would bring more to our team than Lamela. We need a threat of pace, and Unpredictability in players can go a long way to opening up holes for others.

Really? I have not seen anything that says Townsend if off? He should be in the squad today as he is now fit. So be interesting to see if he makes the bench.

For what its worth. I agree with Lugash. In that although Townsend is very very frustrating and seems to play better for England. I think at this moment he would bring more to our team than Lamela. We need a threat of pace, and Unpredictability in players can go a long way to opening up holes for others.
He wont be off. His dad said he wont be leaving. But that doesnt satisfy those who dont rate him and have therfore decided he must still be going....

But it's arguably his best area, I say this in terms of what he has achieved at Spurs as opposed to what he did at Roma.

Well he's created two goals from cormers and 6 from open play (in the league), i think his best area is playing balls in behind and if we had more players making those kind of runs his asissts would be a lot higher and our all round attcking play would be much stronger/effective.

Anyway all been done before and it's looking likely he'll be heading back to Italy - shame we'll be stuck with Townsend, but if a player refuses to leave what can you do?

We can only hope.

Son, Chadli, Eriksen and N'Jie sound quite an interesting blend of options for the wings.

He wont be off. His dad said he wont be leaving. But that doesnt satisfy those who dont rate him and have therfore decided he must still be going....

I think that he would have been sold if he was willing to consider moving but I agree that he is more likely to stay than leave. I don't see him getting a lot of game time though, especially now we have signed a couple of quick players.

It is a shame that Townsend has not developed his game. He's be a real asset if he played with his head up.

I think that he would have been sold if he was willing to consider moving but I agree that he is more likely to stay than leave. I don't see him getting a lot of game time though, especially now we have signed a couple of quick players.

It is a shame that Townsend has not developed his game. He's be a real asset if he played with his head up.

Agree with all of that Milo. Maybe next window or latest next summer he will go once he sees how low down the pecking order he is but for now it seems he wants to stay and fight for his place which I have no issue with....

You can't get an assist if the player you assist doesn't score, that's why chances created are a more accurate stat, Eriksen created more chances for us than any other player. He went missing for games or even portions of the season whereas Lamela went missing for pretty much the entire campaign.

The problem with chances created is that set pieces are included, that's why the likes of Baines and Downing were amongst the top "chance creators" in the league. You're right that you can't get an assist if the player doesn't score but without Eriksen's goals we still scored 48, you'd think that within those goals Eriksen would've managed more than one assist in open play if he's apparently so creative.

Back