• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

Does anyone know of any season's highlights videos for this season of him? I suspect 90% of the very good stuff he's done (i.e pretty much his only contributions as he's either done one or two brilliant things or spent entire games giving the ball away) come from the number 10 position. If we want the best out of him we need to either play him there or work out a way that he sees the ball in those positions as often as possible.

Does anyone know of any season's highlights videos for this season of him? I suspect 90% of the very good stuff he's done (i.e pretty much his only contributions as he's either done one or two brilliant things or spent entire games giving the ball away) come from the number 10 position. If we want the best out of him we need to either play him there or work out a way that he sees the ball in those positions as often as possible.

Thinking about what I have seen from Lamela, I also wonder whether his pressing efforts would be more effective coming from the number 10 role? I think this would also make us more defensively strong on our right hand side as his pressing efforts from this position seem a little akin to a headless chicken and the opposition's full back can sometimes find himself free in a good position. I also prefer Eriksen coming from the left, he gets a bit more space there to effect the game and he works a lot harder to help his full back out compared to Chadli.

Thinking about what I have seen from Lamela, I also wonder whether his pressing efforts would be more effective coming from the number 10 role? I think this would also make us more defensively strong on our right hand side as his pressing efforts from this position seem a little akin to a headless chicken and the opposition's full back can sometimes find himself free in a good position. I also prefer Eriksen coming from the left, he gets a bit more space there to effect the game and he works a lot harder to help his full back out compared to Chadli.

I'm not sold on Lamela in the middle yet, he struggles a little with lack of space and the middle won't help that.

I'm not sold on Lamela in the middle yet, he struggles a little with lack of space and the middle won't help that.

As far as I can remember, everything he has done of note this season has come from the no10 position. Except for the Bale-esque goal he scored.

Would like to see a youtube video or something to confirm though.

As far as I can remember, everything he has done of note this season has come from the no10 position. Except for the Bale-esque goal he scored.

Would like to see a youtube video or something to confirm though.

Fair, so I actually put a setup in the next season squad thread, put a real DM behind, perhaps play both Eriksen & Lamela in middle.

Roma were touting him as a potential no.10 - seem to remember that from when he signed.

Your theory would make sense Millsy as as an inverted winger he comes inside with the ball often - he played well against Burnley on the outside with Walker being the one cutting in from wide, thought we might see more of that as the season wore but Walkers form really tailed off after initially doing well upon his return

Fair, so I actually put a setup in the next season squad thread, put a real DM behind, perhaps play both Eriksen & Lamela in middle.

That would congest things too much imv, put Eriksen on the left where he played well last season and Lamela in the middle, that might be worth looking at

I think this pretty much confirms it. Number 10 for me.

Also confirms how fudging frustrating he is. A player that can do some of the things on that video, yet the video only lasts 3:22 because he spends the majority of his time losing the ball or passing it to the other team.

Lamela @Roma .. interesting, goals/assists very similar to some he has done for us (not so much of the elaborate brick he tried early at Spurs), probably big difference is positioning, lots of right and center, but also a few occasions he's out left? can't recall him getting left for us.

Not if you didn't use inverted wingers on both sides ...

Townsend Eriksen Lamela Lennon

is maybe a bit too attack minded - especially with Walker and Rose as full backs :D

would need one hell of a DM to cover that lot!

The lamella at Roma was tailor made for us in the currents system IMO

He was the perfect Bale replacement in the way he played

However he doesn't look the same player at all here and now plays like James Milner rather than Bale. He has to strike the balance of flair and took rate to get back to the flair level he was before we signed him

The lamella at Roma was tailor made for us in the currents system IMO

He was the perfect Bale replacement in the way he played

However he doesn't look the same player at all here and now plays like James Milner rather than Bale. He has to strike the balance of flair and took rate to get back to the flair level he was before we signed him
I'm not sure that is particularly fair....

On James Milner I mean, as I think he has been a bloody good player for City.

what is good enough? - some argue chadli isnt good enough for our team yet has outperformed both Eriksen AND Lamela.. like billyiddo says, he has got more assists than anyone in our team and is joint 5th in the league, so he's clearly good enough for a team bound to finish in 6th/7th place in one of the most competitive leagues in world football.

You mainly

Much better on Saturday. I think Poch will stick by him, but he needs some decent competition, Lennon and Townsend isn't that.
Lennon is better than Lamela I think, but doesn't seem to be liked by our manager. Townsend is about the same standard as Lamela (i.e. not good enough for where we want to be). Pritchard might end up being the competition (replacement)

Lennon is better than Lamela I think, but doesn't seem to be liked by our manager. Townsend is about the same standard as Lamela (i.e. not good enough for where we want to be). Pritchard might end up being the competition (replacement)
Townsend has same technical ability as Lamela. But he shows time and time again when playing for Spurs that he lacks a football brain. His decision making is awful. This is after 3 seasons of pl experience. Only my opinion of course but Lamela will prove to be a far cleverer footballer we just need to be patient.

Townsend has same technical ability as Lamela. But he shows time and time again when playing for Spurs that he lacks a football brain. His decision making is awful. This is after 3 seasons of pl experience. Only my opinion of course but Lamela will prove to be a far cleverer footballer we just need to be patient.
I agree 100% about the decision making, however I feel that Townsend is far better than Lamela technically (I have explained Lamela's technical weaknesses many times on this thread so,won't bore everyone by doing again)

I agree 100% about the decision making, however I feel that Townsend is far better than Lamela technically (I have explained Lamela's technical weaknesses many times on this thread so,won't bore everyone by doing again)

Only one of them is able to run with the ball without having his gaze firmly fixed at it. How can he be the technical inferior one?

Back