• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

10kg? No way. It would be mostly fat and wouldnt benefit him in any way.
The most amount of pure muscle its possible to put on in 1 year with proper consistant training and diet and not using steroids, is 3kg.

Explain to me the science behind that, or even tell me where you've heard it from?

Regarding the 10kg, yeh 10kg would be way too ambitious in one summer (I've already corrected myself on that). 5kg of lean muscle in a summer is definitely not impossible with the correct training and nutritional protocol though. It would take extreme dedication, but in no way is it impossible.

Explain to me the science behind that, or even tell me where you've heard it from?

Regarding the 10kg, yeh 10kg would be way too ambitious in one summer (I've already corrected myself on that). 5kg of lean muscle in a summer is definitely not impossible with the correct training and nutritional protocol though. It would take extreme dedication, but in no way is it impossible.

Its a fact, 5kg or pure muscle in one summer is pure fantasy, 5kg would be the upper limit of what you could gain in a year if you trained well and dedicated yourself and had good genetics, its almost 1 whole stone of pure muscle which is a hell of a lot, .5kg of 'bulk' ie mostly fat and water weight would easily be possible in one summer, but as i say, wouldnt benefit him in anyway.I dont think any more muscle would really help him much , but a little wouldnt do him any harm obviously.

Its a fact, 5kg or pure muscle in one summer is pure fantasy, 5kg would be the upper limit of what you could gain in a year if you trained well and dedicated yourself and had good genetics, its almost 1 whole stone of pure muscle which is a hell of a lot, .5kg of 'bulk' ie mostly fat and water weight would easily be possible in one summer, but as i say, wouldnt benefit him in anyway.I dont think any more muscle would really help him much , but a little wouldnt do him any harm obviously.

If Lamela has never completed a true linear progression program using the compound lifts and it's likely that he has since there aren't many footballers (bar Ronaldo who spent a lot of time increasing his deadlift) that do, then 5kg of lean mass is possible with absolute dedication and very careful monitoring of his diet. That 5kg would be made up of increased muscle, bone density, tendon thickness and all other things that make up 'lean mass' (when anyone gains any amount of 'lean muscle' these contribute).

I've seen it with my own eyes on more than one occassion.

Extremely difficult yes, not impossible and he'd need to complete it in the off season before pre-season. Either way, my point is that he would benifit greatly from increased full body strength in the same way that players of his type (Bale, Ronaldo) have in the past.

I always find it hard to see where this idea that Lamela is technically good comes from?.... The player I see for Spurs every week cannot control the ball in the run (he always seems to have to stop with it first). He cannot start any dribble without rolling his foot over the ball twice (which often results in him losing the ball and if not then best case scenario is that the opposition get themselves a bit better set). He is also embarrassingly one-footed and often fails to complete even the most simple of passes. I'm of the opinion that even Townsend is well ahead of Lamela technically.

On that thought .. I think I will just go kill myself ..

Will you be using your left hand or right hand to perform that task?

Townsend could probably use either whereas Lamela ...

On a more serious note, I don't find much to disagree with Finney's analysis, other than the statement Townsend is "well ahead" of Lamela technically;

As I have mentioned before, Lamela's main attribute seems to be his energetic pressing, and after paying all that money many of us were hoping for something a bit more Chris Waddle and a little less Paul Allen. Hopefully, he'll get there but for me his first move when he receives the ball needs to be swifter, because he is not going to do most defenders for pace or muscle past them, so he needs to be past them before they can get set.

Will you be using your left hand or right hand to perform that task?

Townsend could probably use either whereas Lamela ...

On a more serious note, I don't find much to disagree with Finney's analysis, other than the statement Townsend is "well ahead" of Lamela technically;

As I have mentioned before, Lamela's main attribute seems to be his energetic pressing, and after paying all that money many of us were hoping for something a bit more Chris Waddle and a little less Paul Allen. Hopefully, he'll get there but for me his first move when he receives the ball needs to be swifter, because he is not going to do most defenders for pace or muscle past them, so he needs to be past them before they can get set.

Funny mate ...

I also don't agree with Townsend being better than Lamela technically, just don't see it ..

Lamela (and its been done to death) has ability, my view is, he expects more time and space on the ball that he ever gets in the PL, add in the physicality of the closing down, he seems to run out of time, or not pass or just run into a wall of defenders .. because of that expectation.

The other issue is his bias to one side (not a flaw to being a great player necessarily), but it's made him highly predictable, and easier to counter.

Those are things that theoretically could be adapted to/fixed with his age, but we have also seen over the years, some players just never get comfortable with the EPL game

Funny mate ...

I also don't agree with Townsend being better than Lamela technically, just don't see it ..

Lamela (and its been done to death) has ability, my view is, he expects more time and space on the ball that he ever gets in the PL, add in the physicality of the closing down, he seems to run out of time, or not pass or just run into a wall of defenders .. because of that expectation.

The other issue is his bias to one side (not a flaw to being a great player necessarily), but it's made him highly predictable, and easier to counter.

Those are things that theoretically could be adapted to/fixed with his age, but we have also seen over the years, some players just never get comfortable with the EPL game
Technically Townsend is a very good player, his problem is related to the way he applies, or more pertinently doesn't apply, that technical ability.

From what I can see Lamela's decision making is fine, he can spot the through ball and knows when to play it. His problem instead comes with the basics of controlling the ball, dribbling, making simple passes and using his right foot for anything other than standing on.... That is why I feel that Lamela has poor technical ability.

Technically Townsend is a very good player, his problem is related to the way he applies, or more pertinently doesn't apply, that technical ability.

From what I can see Lamela's decision making is fine, he can spot the through ball and knows when to play it. His problem instead comes with the basics of controlling the ball, dribbling, making simple passes and using his right foot for anything other than standing on.... That is why I feel that Lamela has poor technical ability.

Not arguing, but don't think Lamela was ever seen as a player with poor technical ability in Italy (much as Bobby is not a brick footballer based on his history in Spain).

No matter what we see here in our colours, I don't think it's ability, more adaptability that is the issue.

Sorry but I'll argue that Lamella isn't technically good. You don't score the type of outrageous goals he has done albeit few and far between in a Spurs shirt and not have technical ability. His ball control,dribbling skills and passing ability is good, it's the fact he can be sloppy and at times give the ball away easy which is what he needs to cut out. For me it's his concentration/mentality that needs improving,not his technical ability...

Very simple question....

If Inter really do make a move for Lamela, as has been reported, and they offered a full money back deal, would you????

Sorry but I'll argue that Lamella isn't technically good. You don't score the type of outrageous goals he has done albeit few and far between in a Spurs shirt and not have technical ability. His ball control,dribbling skills and passing ability is good, it's the fact he can be sloppy and at times give the ball away easy which is what he needs to cut out. For me it's his concentration/mentality that needs improving,not his technical ability...

I'm sure Vlad Chiriches has scored a few screamers in his time too. Flash in the pan goals aren't enough. Consistency is what separates good players from poor players.

Very simple question....

If Inter really do make a move for Lamela, as has been reported, and they offered a full money back deal, would you????

Has there been reports of that kind of fee though?

I can't see any side paying more than £10m up front for him max as he value has depreciated that much IMO

All it would have took was a few top performances to see his value climb again but they haven't happened

I want to see him flourish for us but if someone offered that amount of money, anyone would find it hard not to cash out. I don't think anyone will offer that type of money however and we will see Lamela in the squad next season.

I'm sure Vlad Chiriches has scored a few screamers in his time too. Flash in the pan goals aren't enough. Consistency is what separates good players from poor players.
I wasn't just talking about his goals though, and look at his goals in Italy I wasn't just referring to his goals for us. Id consider Chiriches a technically gifted player - he's just not a good defender....

I think we should get Pjanic in. To help him settle and all ;)

Actually I think he is playing much better. He's releasing the ball much quicker and more often the pass is the right one. I think he's toned down some of the more extravagant passing attempts and is going for the more obvious ones (which are almost always the right passes). He's not affecting the game as much as I would like but he's certainly been one of the better players in this recent bad run of form by the team.

I really thought having manager of the same nationality would make a difference for the boy, you know being in a foreign country and all that but he just isn't suited to the hustle bustle of the PL, end of story.

I really thought having manager of the same nationality would make a difference for the boy, you know being in a foreign country and all that but he just isn't suited to the hustle bustle of the PL, end of story.

That really is the fear ...

I actually think the club has gone a long way to try and make him a success.

Back