• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I liked Erik Lamela before it was cool

I agree 100% about the decision making, however I feel that Townsend is far better than Lamela technically (I have explained Lamela's technical weaknesses many times on this thread so,won't bore everyone by doing again)

LOL - Post of the year surely. It would certainly be so if read in Argentina and Italy:D

Townsend has same technical ability as Lamela. But he shows time and time again when playing for Spurs that he lacks a football brain. His decision making is awful. This is after 3 seasons of pl experience. Only my opinion of course but Lamela will prove to be a far cleverer footballer we just need to be patient.

Would agree with this, I would rather we had Lennon in the team but of the three Townsend is the one who needs to go.

Townsend may have a slight edge over Lamela when it comes to using his right foot, but that would be about as far as I'd be prepared to go. Other than that, his control is frequently suspect; his shooting is laughably wayward; his passing is no better than Lamela's; his dribbling is head down, run in a straight line, do pointless stepovers, stop, cut inside, and then either run into congestion and lose the ball or slice one halfway to the corner flag. Certainly, Lamela's shooting technique is far superior, and if it were a straight choice between the two of them, personally, that equates to no choice. Townsend wouldn't be in the picture. For me, he is one of those players who can shine against markedly inferior opposition because he looks quick by comparison, and that will often compensate for a multitude of ills. At the top level, it's a case of far too many dead ends.

Last edited:
Townsend may have a slight edge over Lamela when it comes to using his right foot, but that would be about as far as I'd be prepared to go. Other than that, his control is frequently suspect; his shooting is laughably wayward; his passing is no better than Lamela's; his dribbling is head down, run in a straight line, do pointless stepovers, stop, cut inside, and then either run into congestion and lose the ball or slice one halfway to the corner flag. Certainly, Lamela's shooting technique is far superior, and if it were a straight choice between the two of them, personally, that equates to no choice. Townsend wouldn't be in the picture. For me, he is one of those players who can shine against markedly inferior opposition because he looks quick by comparison, and that will often compensate for a multitude of ills. At the top level, it's a case of far too many dead ends.

I find this quite interesting really.... Townsend has a 'slight' edge over Lamela when using his right foot?.... Townsend is a two footed player, whereas Lamela is unbelievably one footed. Townsend can receive the ball on the run, whereas Lamela always has to stop to receive the ball.... That is two huge technical flaws Lamela has straight away. Other than that - I think Lamela's control is suspect, as is his dribbling (he often loses the ball when he is favourite to keep it). Additionally I haven't seen too many players who give the ball away as often as Lamela does when making easy, short passes.

Don't get me wrong Townsend has some massive flaws to his game, ones that overall, probably make Lamela worth a starting place over him - but technically I don't see Lamela as being a good player at all.

I find this quite interesting really.... Townsend has a 'slight' edge over Lamela when using his right foot?.... Townsend is a two footed player, whereas Lamela is unbelievably one footed. Townsend can receive the ball on the run, whereas Lamela always has to stop to receive the ball.... That is two huge technical flaws Lamela has straight away. Other than that - I think Lamela's control is suspect, as is his dribbling (he often loses the ball when he is favourite to keep it). Additionally I haven't seen too many players who give the ball away as often as Lamela does when making easy, short passes.

Don't get me wrong Townsend has some massive flaws to his game, ones that overall, probably make Lamela worth a starting place over him - but technically I don't see Lamela as being a good player at all.
Lamela is better at rabonas.

In terms of using the right foot, I was going to make a joke about Douglas Bader, but thought too few people would get the reference.

Then I contemplated using Heather Mills instead, but could not remember if she had lost both legs or just the one and, if the latter, which one.

So, not having a leg to stand on ... I'll forgo making any comment.

I was going to withdraw the word 'slight', but then I'd have to have replaced the word 'a' with the word 'an' as well, and that just seemed like too much effort, in the circumstances.

Seems like it has not been mentioned on here that Lamela has been named in Argentinas squad for Copa America.

An incredible strong team by the way.

Goalkeepers:
Sergio ROMERO, Nahuel GUZMAN, Mariano ANDUJAR

Defenders:
Pablo ZABALETA, Ezequiel GARAY, Martin DEMICHELIS, Nicolas OTAMENDI, Marcos ROJO, Facundo RONCAGLIA, Milton CASCO

Midfielders:
Lucas BIGLIA, Javier MASCHERANO, Javier PASTORE, Ever BANEGA, Roberto PEREYRA, Fernando GAGO

Forwards:
Lionel MESSI, Carlos TEVEZ, Sergio AGUERO, Angel DI MARIA, Gonzalo HIGUAIN, Ezequiel LAVEZZI, Erik LAMELA

Lamela or Townsend, can't understand the debate they're both liabilities, they lose possession of the ball far to easily often, when we have over committed in attack, neither want to chase a ball. Lamela does try to get the ball back but it generally ends with conceding a foul, whereas when Townsend has not got the ball he daydreams.

Lamela or Townsend, can't understand the debate they're both liabilities, they lose possession of the ball far to easily often, when we have over committed in attack, neither want to chase a ball. Lamela does try to get the ball back but it generally ends with conceding a foul, whereas when Townsend has not got the ball he daydreams.

Of our attackers, Lamela has the highest number of interceptions (by some distance) and successful tackles.

Am I the only one who would keep both Lamela and Townsend and give them another season?

I think Lamela ended the season quite well, and we should see if we can get more out of him. Re. Townsend, I'd like to see us use him on the left more and I think he has something to offer as a squad player.

Am I the only one who would keep both Lamela and Townsend and give them another season?

I think Lamela ended the season quite well, and we should see if we can get more out of him. Re. Townsend, I'd like to see us use him on the left more and I think he has something to offer as a squad player.

The problem is, if neither work out (make that step up), we risk another season with a very poor right side.

Only option for me that makes sense to me to keep both is if we plan to either play Townsend more on left, or move Lamela into middle

Back