• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

I am a little worried

who dembele? that man was a box to box player. just cause he can wrangle a ball off of a silver back doesnt mean he played defensive mid...what is happening here.

i think i am going crazy. so what your saying is that between parker and dembele...or sandro and dembele...dembele was the defensive mid?

He wasn't a box to box player last season, Parker, Sandro and Dembele mainly sat and provided a platform for the four in front of them. He occasionally broke forwards but then so did Parker and Sandro, in Parker's case more frequently than Dembele.

you act like football is only played by the 1st 11 on a match day. there is a whole world that we are not privy too...and all that adds towards team chemistry and preparation

not to mention that the names leaving all seemed to feature quite a good amount in matches anyway. BAE, Thudd, PArker, Ade, defoe......all these guys had good big minutes for us. they may have been fringe players but its not like they were from the reserve squad with no input into the first team.

these are guys that we leaned on ...hard sometimes...to get us through matches. we are dumping like 8 players altogether if all the rumours come to pass and replacing them with a load of people from different leagues and nationalities. This is some serious churning

and all this without even mentioning bale

I definitely agree with you about Ekotto. Can't for the life of me see what AVB sees in Rose. To say I'm worried about our defence is the understatement of the fudging century.

what are you talking about. Not one single player sat infront of our back four last year, not even Sandro. That is factually correct.

Go watch a Tottenham game from last season, Parker was playing box to box. Dembele was the one covering him all the time and played deeper of the two. Will we play with a "DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER" to sit there and screen? fudge no, we never done it last year and we probably won't this year.

and yet sandro was the main defensive presence in our first 11...quite blatantly clear to me infact that sandro covered the back four more than anyone else

i will say one thing, parker ventured forward MORE under AVB than harry, MUCH more...and its something that i blame AVB for ruining a good thing with parker

i dont know why i'm even arguing this. I'll revise what i'm saying when someone can help me out with those average positions and shows me that dembele was the main guy covering..and not parker

Stats show otherwise. His positioning didn't change from one half to the other. What did change is that Parker got forward more. Dembele pretty much plays in the centre, not really getting far back enough to be in the defensive role, not really getting forward enough to play in the attacking third. He is a dribbler, rather than a passer, but he is the new Jamie Redknapp in terms of where he plays on the pitch. He doesn't get around the pitch much at all.

Stats are correct, but the interpretation of stats is perception and/or bias agenda. Stats on their own rarely tell the whole story, or even half the story.

Just because i can.

We play a high line, why would our DM have to play deep? The centre of the pitch make sense for a DM with a high line when we are in possession.

If he could pick his runs a bit better he'd be a gem, then again we could have him, Vert and Kaboul bombing out from the back this season..

and yet sandro was the main defensive presence in our first 11...quite blatantly clear to me infact that sandro covered the back four more than anyone else

i will say one thing, parker ventured forward MORE under AVB than harry, MUCH more...and its something that i blame AVB for ruining a good thing with parker

i dont know why i'm even arguing this. I'll revise what i'm saying when someone can help me out with those average positions and shows me that dembele was the main guy covering..and not parker

No he didn't, he played exactly the same under both managers, the only difference is that he was knackered by the time he came to play for AVB.

He wasn't a box to box player last season, Parker, Sandro and Dembele mainly sat and provided a platform for the four in front of them. He occasionally broke forwards but then so did Parker and Sandro, in Parker's case more frequently than Dembele.

actually i can agree with the bit in bold....but not that sandro and parker were the guys running that midfield

am starting to buckle and think i am wrong but i wont give in until someone shows me something.

the game against roma......was demebele playing defensive mid then? cause thats what i am used to seeing him do

No he didn't, he played exactly the same under both managers, the only difference is that he was knackered by the time he came to play for AVB.

Yes he did. oh yes he did.

Parker was clearly the DM under harry..and he played simple balls under harry..none of this overly adventurous stuff you see in AVB's team

so now modric is the DM? when he played next to parker? or at least the more defensive minded one? its alright..you can say it if you want to..i wont agree with that though

i feel like i dreamt that player of the season two years ago LOL

nope. DM under harry....main defensive cover under AVB even though he went galavanting

actually i can agree with the bit in bold....but not that sandro and parker were the guys running that midfield

am starting to buckle and think i am wrong but i wont give in until someone shows me something.

the game against roma......was demebele playing defensive mid then? cause thats what i am used to seeing him do

What game against Roma?

Did i miss a match? :-k

I think that you are getting bogged down with names for positions. We did not play with a DM and and box to box midfielder last season, our formation was more fluid.

Parker was clearly the DM under harry..and he played simple balls under harry..none of this overly adventurous stuff you see in AVB's team

so now modric is the DM? when he played next to parker? or at least the more defensive minded one? its alright..you can say it if you want to..i wont agree with that though

nope. DM under harry....main defensive cover under AVB even though he went galavanting

did the last 3 months or so of that season past you by? Parker was played much more advanced in this period (or more so that he moved forward as the game progressed similar with how he played when back in the team this season)

also you may have missed my post at the bottom of the previous page - re turnaround of players. pretty much exactly the same the last two summers and we're on target for the same number this season.

Just looked at 3 match reports on WhoScored - Swansea, Everton and Fulham - and Dembele was further up than Parker in each one of them.

Still, in some ways I agree with both sides of the argument; I think Parker and Dembele both played box-to-box. So Dembele seemed like a DM at times, as he would sit when Parker went forward (GHod knows why). But he certainly wasn't a full-on DM, as he frequently got forward himself (at which point Parker would sit).

yep and with the way Parkers declined last season, imv, it would have been too big of a drop in quality to go from Sandro to him for any length of games this season.

last summer saw the arrival of 4 new first team players (as well as Sigurdsson) and the outgoings of 3 first team players (and a further 4 squad players)

that's a turnaround of 12 players from Redknapps squad

the season prior to that (11/12) also saw a turnaround of 12 players (3 coming in to the first team and 9 leaving the squad)

so far this summer we've had 6 leave and 3 come in - we appear to be on track to be at the same magic number of 12 come the end of the window.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/tottenham-hotspur/transfers-alle/verein_148.html

we lost 8 players last year?

Parker frequently run forward with the ball under Redknapp. This was often used as a tactic, particularly when we were chasing a result. Again, I think that you are getting bogged down with titles for roles.

Modric is an interesting one. There was a period where he made the most interceptions of any midfielder in the Premier League. Does that make him a DM? No. But he wasn't an AM or box to box midfielder either.

i have to say i find it funny that we've moved on from complaining about not backing the manager to complaining that he's backed too much - will we ever be satisfied?

is there a magic number of ins and outs that can keep everyone happy? we had an unbalanced team last season and one many complained wasn't good enough - we're bringing in quality players in positions required and moving on players who are on the fringes of the squad, is that not a good thing?!?! - i honestly don't understand some of you :lol:

i have to say i find it funny that we've moved on from complaining about not backing the manager to complaining that he's backed too much - will we ever be satisfied?

+1

I highly doubt AVB is standing there asking them to stop spending money on his squad.

yep and with the way Parkers declined last season, imv, it would have been too big of a drop in quality to go from Sandro to him for any length of games this season.

last summer saw the arrival of 4 new first team players (as well as Sigurdsson) and the outgoings of 3 first team players (and a further 4 squad players)

that's a turnaround of 12 players from Redknapps squad

the season prior to that (11/12) also saw a turnaround of 12 players (3 coming in to the first team and 9 leaving the squad)

so far this summer we've had 6 leave and 3 come in - we appear to be on track to be at the same magic number of 12 come the end of the window.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/tottenham-hotspur/transfers-alle/verein_148.html

Agree about Parker. The game has moved on and he hasn't unfortunately. You have to be good on the ball when playing the top teams and especially in Europe, the players who can't pass really do get shown up.

Back