• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Delighted he played and as predicted, he kept a clean sheet. I know he is a FAR better keeper than Friedal and although Friedal is excellent, it was time for him to step aside and allow Lloris in to the starting line-up. Lloris will be a hero for us, the same way that Schmeichel was for Manchester United. We will win games that we ought not to have done because Lloris will pull off the same incredible mistakes that Gomes did when he was at the top of his game. Lloris will make mistakes, of course he will, but overall he will prove to be a bargain for the price that we paid for him.

Delighted he played and as predicted, he kept a clean sheet. I know he is a FAR better keeper than Friedal and although Friedal is excellent, it was time for him to step aside and allow Lloris in to the starting line-up. Lloris will be a hero for us, the same way that Schmeichel was for Manchester United. We will win games that we ought not to have done because Lloris will pull off the same incredible mistakes that Gomes did when he was at the top of his game. Lloris will make mistakes, of course he will, but overall he will prove to be a bargain for the price that we paid for him.

hope not

Oops, think my head was jumping to the sentence ahead. I meant incredible saves! :D I figure with the way that I've been shouting down Friedal and saying that Lloris should be picked that I'm one of his biggest fans and I'm looking forward to seeing him make himself a legend for us.

Oops, think my head was jumping to the sentence ahead. I meant incredible saves! :D I figure with the way that I've been shouting down Friedal and saying that Lloris should be picked that I'm one of his biggest fans and I'm looking forward to seeing him make himself a legend for us.

What is it with fans not knowing the names of our own players?

The France captain impressed with his anticipation during Tottenham’s 2-0 win
over Aston Villa, although he almost turned the game when ceding possession with
a careless throw. Luckily for Tottenham, Christian ­Benteke failed to score.V

illas-Boas said that he had not decided who would start the next match.

“We decided it would be ­logical to play Hugo to get him acquainted with the
Premier League,” he said.

“The change was not based on performance.” Asked if Lloris was now first
choice, Villas-Boas said: “No. Towards the future we will have to decide.

"Nothing tipped the balance. We are fortunate that we can do this rotation.
Brad was disappointed but accepted it as a good professional. We respect his
performances. He will be back as soon as possible.”

Brad really is a great professional isn't he. Losing his place unjustly and he still keeps his cool. I'd like to see him still play his part in the league, I guess it just doesn't make sense rotating a keeper though in the league.

Play whoever is performing the best in training that week.

i wouldnt like to see the keepers being rotated for Prem games.....goalies are sensitive creatures and if they always had the pressure that they could quickly be dropped i think it could lead to poor performances

Perhaps there's a case to be made for Friedel playing the tougher Premier League games (Chelsea, Arsenal, United & City) as his greater experience will count more, while Lloris chalks-up games against the other teams we would expect to beat (like Aston Villa yesterday)?

I don't think we'll have this problem next season, as Lloris will be our first choice goalkeeper.

I think Friedel's career is effectively over with us

No PL club swaps keepers between PL games because consistency amongst the back 5 is crucial in the league and a continous shuffle hardly ever works.

Perhaps Brad can stick out till January and clock up a few EL/COC games and leave to continue his career elsewhere - he has a fair amount left to offer at number of PL clubs. Reading and Southamption could see the deference between relegation and 15th place with someone as experienced/realiable as him.

Last edited:
I think Friedel's career is effectively over with us

No PL club swaps keepers between PL games because consistency amongst the back 5 is crucial in the league and a continous shuffle hardly ever works.

Perhaps Brad can stick out till January and clock up a few EL/COC games and leave to continue his career elsewhere - he has a fair amount left to offer at number of PL clubs. Reading and Southamption could see the deference between relegation and 15th place with someone as experienced/realiable as him.

What about Manchester United?

The United situation is different. They have two younger keepers and are trying to determine who is their long-term starter. We know that long-term it will be Lloris (or another) and not Friedel.

Lloris should get better with us as he develops as a keeper, while the best Friedel can do at his age is maintain his form. Friedel also seems to understand this from his comments in the summer, while keeping Lloris as backup could damage his confidence. So even if Friedel was or is marginally the better keeper now, there is a case for starting Lloris.

Its a shame for Friedel that he lost his remarkable run. But only part of that run was with Spurs. If he had been at the club longer it might have been a more difficult choice, but remember what we did to Jennings.

What about Manchester United?

My understanding has always been those 2 share the Cup and League games

Quick glance over their teamsheets since August more-or-less confirms that

vs Everton - De Gea
vs Fulham - De Gea
vs Southampton - Lindegaard
vs Wigan - Lindegaard
vs Galatasaray (CL) - De Gea
vs Liverpool - Lindegaard
vs Newcaste (COC) - De Gea
vs Sours - Lindegaard
vs Cluj (CL) - De Gea
vs Saudi Sportswashing Machine - De Gea

So after giving De Gea a few PL games at the beginning - it appears Lindegaard has become the esablished PL choice while the Spaniard is responsible for cup games - except for yesterday where he started against Saudi Sportswashing Machine

But even so - those are 2 young up-and-coming keepers fighting for establishement - whereas our situation is considerably different - i.e. one of transition

Friedel ain't daft. He's 41 and knows we have to get our future sorted, and has said as much in plenty of interviews this season already. He's also said he's prepared to be our second or even third choice if it helps the club, and good on him for both realising that, and also declaring it.
Hilarious that the press were stirring when AVB wasn't picking Lloris, and as soon as he does they slaughter him for snubbing Brad !

Wait what?

After reading stats that show De Gea has started 3 league games and Linegaard has started 4 league games you've come to the conclusion that this is evidence that Lindegaard has become the established PL choice. I mean the fact that one has played 1 whole league game more means that he's now the established pl GK? even though the one that played 3 games just started the last league game? very weird.

Milo of course you're right and Manchester united are a team that swap GK's between league games.

The United situation is different. They have two younger keepers and are trying to determine who is their long-term starter.

Yes, that is the point I tried to make earlier - our situation is one of transition

- Last year De Gea started 29 PL games and 41 in total for the season

- Lindegaard stared 8 PL games and 13 in total for the season

This season I'd expect again a similar pattern where one of the goalies takes charge of the PL and the other fills in the cups.

Problem is both are quite capable and unlikely to lose form

Apart from the blunder that could easily have cost us a goal (it probably should have), Lloris' debut was good IMO. It wasn't the toughest of games for him though, and he wasn't tested much, which I believe was planned from AVB's side. It was a good game to introduce him to the PL.

I was impressed with his awareness when he came out early to clear the ball. A few of those instances he handled very, very well. I also liked the way he came out for a few crosses. Looks promising. Distribution wise it was ok - some good, some bad passes, but I like how he seems to be aware of where he wants hhis clearances to go. The hoof factor looks low in him.

Good debut. Thumbs up for the clean sheet. Sad for Brad, but I think he will handle this professionally, and probably be back for Chelski. He know's he's not in it for the long run, though.

Back