• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

He's still first choice -- but it's not as clear cut as it once was, imo. Gazza has some dodgy points to his game but he's made game winning saves when he's played this season. If Hugo doesn't do that with the regularity he once did, then we do have some competition for him at least.

What aspects to Gazza's game have you found to be dodgy?

Personally I have been very impressed with him in all aspects every time he has played, so much so that I'd like to see him play 10 games on the bounce to see if he is, as I suspect, the real deal.

For me he saves the gylfi goal and the second wolves goal today.

Personally I have been very impressed with him in all aspects every time he has played, so much so that I'd like to see him play 10 games on the bounce to see if he is, as I suspect, the real deal.

How would he deal with a ball through a players legs with possibly a deflection in there?

I like Gaza’s and I’m convinced we wouldn’t have dropped any points a wolves or pool with him in goal but he still needs time

His dodgy aspect (if there is one to highlight) is when he makes saves he doesn’t always make them cleanly, kinda like Jordan Pickford does. Hugo’s generally does and clears his lines with his saves

How would he deal with a ball through a players legs with possibly a deflection in there?

I like Gaza’s and I’m convinced we wouldn’t have dropped any points a wolves or pool with him in goal but he still needs time

His dodgy aspect (if there is one to highlight) is when he makes saves he doesn’t always make them cleanly, kinda like Jordan Pickford does. Hugo’s generally does and clears his lines with his saves

Hopefully he'd start in the right place and be able to get to a ball that took 15 seconds to travel 12 yards.

Love the exaggeration
Pretty much what my mates said watching the game
But I’ve only seen the replays

It is an exaggeration, but not a wild one, you could hear Wembley collectively sigh with relief when the effort was so tame, and then it crawled over the line.

It is an exaggeration, but not a wild one, you could hear Wembley collectively sigh with relief when the effort was so tame, and then it crawled over the line.

From his foot to the gol it took a 3.5 seconds of which that last 2 second was after going through tobys legs

He looks shaky on crosses imo. I think if he played all the time, teams would target that (unless he improved at it, of course, which he hopefully will).

He looks to have fantastic shot-stopping skills though.

For me Lloris is still our number one. As far as I can tell, while Gazza might be a better shot stopper, there is not much in it and Lloris is the best sweeper we have. I also think Lloris is the most assured on set pieces, not just at stopping shots but organising his defence.

At least we will get to see Gazza in the upcoming fa cup and league cup ties, which will hopefully include the league cup final and many more fa cup games.

If he continues producing in these games to the very high level he has shown so far, then he has every chance of being our new number one.

Hugo has been a great servent for us but it says it all when we know with some certainty that in his next 10 games he will inexplicably kick the ball to the opposition in a dangerous area under little pressure, get a rush of blood leaving us exposed, will let in a soft shot and will not even come close to saving any penalties awarded against us.

He is not at the same level as when he joined us and we have someone knocking on the door very hard now.

He has looked below his best this season ( imo) and the mistakes seem more frequent, however its the hardest position on the pitch and all mistakes are magnified because of that. Keepers can not really win because they can be brilliant in most games but as soon as they make a mistake there is no hiding place.

We have had some great keepers over the years Jennings ( the best i have ever seen), Clemence, and Robbo was terrific for a couple of seasons for us but they ALL made mistakes. Lloris is ( imo) not world class but he is a very good keeper and has shown that on several occasions for us since he has been here.

However i do not think this has been his best season and the mistakes ( imo) have been more frequent, i hope we see Gazza over the following months given a run of games and then Poch can decide what is the best going forward.

I think we have more of a defensive problem rather than Lloris being the single issue, we've conceded as many shots against us so far this season as we've taken 242. I think Lloris has done well considering how often we give up chances to the opposition and he's more than done his part in helping us amass the amount of points we have at his point.

I don't know.

Don't know what to think.

Don't know what to say.

Goalkeeping. Haven't a clue.

Most of you don't either.

You really don't.

Only other 'keepers do.

Not enough about to make us wiser.

Closing this thread would be goo---- ahh! jeez!

Mouse slipped out my hand.

I think we have more of a defensive problem rather than Lloris being the single issue, we've conceded as many shots against us so far this season as we've taken 242. I think Lloris has done well considering how often we give up chances to the opposition and he's more than done his part in helping us amass the amount of points we have at his point.
It is certainly contributing to our worsening goals against column. Our midfield shield is not what it used to be, unsurprising considering the absentees. On top of that, I think that pretty much all our fullbacks are showing inconsistent form. Throw in a bunch of individual errors from Lloris and others and that completes the picture really. I'm confident we can improve on all this for the 2nd half of the season, and we will have to if we want to stay in the title race (yes we are still in it).

Last edited:
It is certainly contributing to our worsening goals against column. Our midfield shield is not what it used to be, unsurprisingly considering the absentees. On top of that, I think that pretty much all our fullbacks are showing inconsistent form. Throw in a bunch of individual errors from Lloris and others and that completes the picture really. I'm confident we can improve on all this for the 2nd half of the season, and we will have to if we want to stay in the title race (yes we are still in it).

Been saying it since start of last season, there's nothing wrong with Hugo or the back four, the problem lies immediately in front of the back four. Since Wanyama was injured we've not had a shield.

Does go to show how much we miss Wanyama and Dembele’s presence in CMF that we’re ranked only 11th in the EPL for shots conceded so far this season, figures we’ve not seen since Bentaleb and Mason were our first choice pairing.

Total shots conceded (rank) this season:

Pool 163 (2nd)
Emirates Marketing Project 138 (1st)
Spurs 253 (11th)
Chavs 177 (3rd)
ARSEnal 248 (9th)
ManU 263 (13th)

Compared to 2017/18:

Emirates Marketing Project 238 (1st)
ManU 441 (8th)
Spurs 355 (3rd)
Pool 282 (2nd)
Chavs 377 (4th)
ARSEnal 422 (6th)

And in 2016/17:

Chavs 322 (3rd)
Spurs 348 (4th)
Emirates Marketing Project 299 (1st)
Pool 307 (2nd)
ARSEnal 431 (6th)
ManU 358 (5th)

And in 2015/16:

Leic 516 (13th)
ARSEnal 452 (6th)
Spurs 421 (4th)
Emirates Marketing Project 336 (1st)
ManU 411 (3rd)
Pool 397 (2nd)
Chavs 482 (8th)

http://www.footstats.co.uk/index.cfm?task=league_shots

Been saying it since start of last season, there's nothing wrong with Hugo or the back four, the problem lies immediately in front of the back four. Since Wanyama was injured we've not had a shield.

Don’t disagree that a fit and healthy Wanyama would make a difference but I don’t agree about the rest. Lloris for the most part is a top keeper but he’s also prone to mistakes in big games and generally looks nervous.

The back four also look shaky in most games, even against Soton we conceded numerous chances and could have easily drawn that game had Soton had their shooting boots on. Like I said above I believe Wanyama/ a new signing in CM would help a lot but it wouldn’t change the fact that Sanchez is young and learning and trippier is at best an average defender who gets exposed against anyone half decent and never seems to stop crosses from coming in.

I’d like to see Poch pick his best back four and stick with it in the second half of the season which IMO is Aurier, Toby, Vertonghen and Rose. I get that the squad needs to be rotated but i think continuity is key and we’re always going to be exposed on the right hand side if trippier plays.

Don’t disagree that a fit and healthy Wanyama would make a difference but I don’t agree about the rest. Lloris for the most part is a top keeper but he’s also prone to mistakes in big games and generally looks nervous.

The back four also look shaky in most games, even against Soton we conceded numerous chances and could have easily drawn that game had Soton had their shooting boots on. Like I said above I believe Wanyama/ a new signing in CM would help a lot but it wouldn’t change the fact that Sanchez is young and learning and trippier is at best an average defender who gets exposed against anyone half decent and never seems to stop crosses from coming in.

I’d like to see Poch pick his best back four and stick with it in the second half of the season which IMO is Aurier, Toby, Vertonghen and Rose. I get that the squad needs to be rotated but i think continuity is key and we’re always going to be exposed on the right hand side if trippier plays

Fully agreed. Moreover, one of my worries re: the CB position is that we only have one natural 'leader' in that role - namely, Toby. And Toby's off in the summer.

I get flak for this, but I'm firmly of the opinion that Verts isn't a leader of the back line in the way that Toby is. He communicates less, and the defense just looks a bit less joined up when he's in there with one of Sanchez or Foyth (both of whom need to be led). Don't get me wrong, Verts is *individually* excellent - probably the best left-footed centre-back in the league, and in the top five centre-backs in Europe when on form. But he isn't a leader in the way that Toby is.

And if we buy Ake or a similar player to replace Toby, we will have a problem on our hands when he leaves - namely, that we won't have a real, vocal leader of the back line in there. Hugo doesn't really do that, and, as mentioned, Sanchez and Foyth are young enough that they don't really do that either. We need someone willing to do so.

Fully agreed. Moreover, one of my worries re: the CB position is that we only have one natural 'leader' in that role - namely, Toby. And Toby's off in the summer.

I get flak for this, but I'm firmly of the opinion that Verts isn't a leader of the back line in the way that Toby is. He communicates less, and the defense just looks a bit less joined up when he's in there with one of Sanchez or Foyth (both of whom need to be led). Don't get me wrong, Verts is *individually* excellent - probably the best left-footed centre-back in the league, and in the top five centre-backs in Europe when on form. But he isn't a leader in the way that Toby is.

And if we buy Ake or a similar player to replace Toby, we will have a problem on our hands when he leaves - namely, that we won't have a real, vocal leader of the back line in there. Hugo doesn't really do that, and, as mentioned, Sanchez and Foyth are young enough that they don't really do that either. We need someone willing to do so.
AKE plays left
He would be coming to eventually replace Jan

Back