• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Was a huge admirer of Clemence but he did make errors. Did not see him all that much when he was at Liverpoo but he had his share of clangers when he was with us, eg failing to hold long range shots. One season in particular he was relatively poor, so much so he himself publicly admitted he had allowed his standards to drop and made a point of putting in extra work during the close season to get himself back up to his previous level. The following season he was absolutely outstanding all the way through.

As for Banks, I assume you are going on reputation alone because in those days there was no live tv most games. But I'd lay money he made his share of mistakes because all goalies do. It's the blinding saves that get hyped so much that clouds objective judgement imo. Saying that I don't question for one moment that Banks was an outstanding keeper in his day.

I know they all make errors. I'm talking about a series of errors in big games. The worldies don't do it, but Lloris does, remember City? I can tell within five minutes whether he's going to be any good or not. When he's struggling, he gets this strained expression on his face like he's going to burst into tears at any moment. It's odd, because on other occasions he's perfectly fine.

I know they all make errors. I'm talking about a series of errors in big games. The worldies don't do it, but Lloris does, remember City? I can tell within five minutes whether he's going to be any good or not. When he's struggling, he gets this strained expression on his face like he's going to burst into tears at any moment. It's odd, because on other occasions he's perfectly fine.
Maybe you're right about Lloris making mistakes more often, I'd certainly agree it's a worry. But I stand by my argument that even world-class keepers make more mistakes than is commonly realised. If you watch retro vids on youtube you often see keepers with massive reputations making elementary mistakes, even for example my hero, the incomparable Pat Jennings. The difference is in things like their bravery and the frequency of their worldies that can cloud objective judgement.

Keepers now are scrutinised more because of tv however also have more to do on the pitch

Hugo is a prime example of being our first and last line of defence. I watched Shilton as a kid and he barely left the 6 yard box.... leaving the area would give his a nose bleed

When did you ever see Clements or Banks make errors like Lloris did on Saturday? Now they were world class

In fairness (and I am sure you were there too) Clem's absolute howler against Barcelona at home in the 81 CEC semifinal first leg was horrendous :-(...but I loved him!

Lloris is a fantastic keeper. The best we have had in years and I have a lot of man love for him, but he was brick at the weekend. We are all allowed our off days but it was just a shame it had to be against them fudges. Anyway, we need him to be at his best in the run in and box that one off in le placard of his mind.

In fairness (and I am sure you were there too) Clem's absolute howler against Barcelona at home in the 81 CEC semifinal first leg was horrendous :-(...but I loved him!

that was a shocker i still don't no how it went through his hands. we then went to barca & played in fog if my memory serves me right.
if that happened today it would be replayed over & over again to prove what a bad keeper he is the reality is the complete opposite

that was a shocker i still don't no how it went through his hands. we then went to barca & played in fog if my memory serves me right.
if that happened today it would be replayed over & over again to prove what a bad keeper he is the reality is the complete opposite

Too true.
I think the reason it happened was because those fudging dirtbags had kicked us from pillar to post and not had one shot close to the target before Olmos punted that 40 harder; he was not focussed IMO. Glenn was hurdling! I remember being in the Park Lane before the game and people were exchanging flags and scarves with Braca fans above. At HT, I clearly remember two Barca flags being burned and plenty of abuse being hurled. My GHod they were filthy! It is why i can never ever find it in my DNA to 'like' them. That return was 1-1 and we were fudged out of that too, stonewall pen denied.

Too true.
I think the reason it happened was because those fudging dirtbags had kicked us from pillar to post and not had one shot close to the target before Olmos punted that 40 harder; he was not focussed IMO. Glenn was hurdling! I remember being in the Park Lane before the game and people were exchanging flags and scarves with Braca fans above. At HT, I clearly remember two Barca flags being burned and plenty of abuse being hurled. My GHod they were filthy! It is why i can never ever find it in my DNA to 'like' them. That return was 1-1 and we were fudged out of that too, stonewall pen denied.
I remember watching the shot being taken and thinking 'that's an easy one' and turned around to my mate whose face dropped (much like the ball) in horror. Oh my...

Too true.

Spot on, i remember saying after the game that i had NEVER seen a side so cynical and dirty as Barca were that night.

Spot on, i remember saying after the game that i had NEVER seen a side so cynical and dirty as Barca were that night.

Completely different proposition back then though, nothing like the Super Power they are today. That and the European Cup semi, two more examples where this club has been on the wrong side of a dudding. I remember a blatant handball in the Everton FA semi too then the phantom goal against Chelsea. Can any other side claim as many brick decisions against them in big games?

Completely different proposition back then though, nothing like the Super Power they are today. That and the European Cup semi, two more examples where this club has been on the wrong side of a dudding. I remember a blatant handball in the Everton FA semi too then the phantom goal against Chelsea. Can any other side claim as many brick decisions against them in big games?

Well i never waste my time going on other teams forums so i do not know, but i hazard a guess and say that all teams have fans who think their teams have brick decisions go against them. Its what fans of all teams do.

I don't think I have since! The modern game doesn't get to that level of absolute filth and thuggery. When Stevie P is riled up to the tits and finally snaps to scythe someone down in retaliation, much less get one of the loudest cheers of the night, you know its been emotional. Another reason I laughed heartily at Poch's comments about Xavi and Peppy-Goody-Twoshoes today!!!

I don't think I have since! The modern game doesn't get to that level of absolute filth and thuggery. When Stevie P is riled up to the tits and finally snaps to scythe someone down in retaliation, much less get one of the loudest cheers of the night, you know its been emotional. Another reason I laughed heartily at Poch's comments about Xavi and Peppy-Goody-Twoshoes today!!!

I've seen Uruguay do it in a World Cup game iirc and I'm sure I saw another international side do it to (Yugoslavia I think)

Bit i never saw the game you refer too

I would sign Pickford in the Summer, and use next season the blood him into the club.

I love Hugo, but he his number of errors seems to have increased a lot this season - maybe because we concede so few goals each one is looked at in depth.

I would sign Pickford in the Summer, and use next season the blood him into the club.

I love Hugo, but he his number of errors seems to have increased a lot this season - maybe because we concede so few goals each one is looked at in depth.
aF_kjd.gif

This is one of those jokes I don't get isn't it....

Back