• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

You wasnt?!?

What?

I dont even...

I know, daring to be slightly critical of GG's new hero. Can you give me one excellent example of a 30 yard ball he played where it was "Wow! Chance created!"? I can't. But I can think of several where the ball was played and I thought "Too high, yep Lazio player has won it".

I know, daring to be slightly critical of GG's new hero. Can you give me one excellent example of a 30 yard ball he played where it was "Wow! Chance created!"? I can't. But I can think of several where the ball was played and I thought "Too high, yep Lazio player has won it".

Maybe a tad critical in such a tight game were space was at a premium. Not knocking you, but how good do you actually think a keeper should be at passing a vall 25+ yards?

Maybe a tad critical in such a tight game were space was at a premium. Not knocking you, but how good do you actually think a keeper should be at passing a vall 25+ yards?

More accurate than that. Gomes & Friedel's distribution isn't any better BTW. Robbo's was superb, one of the best I've seen from a keeper. Keller's wasn't bad and neither was Sullivan's. Fortunately we play the ball out from the back more often than not, but a couple of times today I did wonder what we were doing playing triangles with the keeper under pressure. Twice Lloris played a man into danger with a short pass when under pressure, when he would have been better just clearing.

I'm not being critical of Lloris, it was a solid debut (hence why I rated him a 7), but I am not going to sit here and read about a wonderful debut performance when he had fudge all to do :lol: Had we been under pressure, and he had pulled off a couple of world class saves etc. then I'd understand the superlatives. But IMO people have to earn them, not get them just because of their name and past reputation.

First of all he catches the ball on corners, it helps, instead of watching the ball being headed in the net.

Then he runs at strikers in front of him instead of watching them strike the ball.

Its a clean sheet, thats all. And its what we need.

So you think if Friedel had been in goal today we would have lost?

More accurate than that. Gomes & Friedel's distribution isn't any better BTW. Robbo's was superb, one of the best I've seen from a keeper. Keller's wasn't bad and neither was Sullivan's. Fortunately we play the ball out from the back more often than not, but a couple of times today I did wonder what we were doing playing triangles with the keeper under pressure. Twice Lloris played a man into danger with a short pass when under pressure, when he would have been better just clearing.

I'm not being critical of Lloris, it was a solid debut (hence why I rated him a 7), but I am not going to sit here and read about a wonderful debut performance when he had fudge all to do :lol: Had we been under pressure, and he had pulled off a couple of world class saves etc. then I'd understand the superlatives. But IMO people have to earn them, not get them just because of their name and past reputation.

If im being honest i agree. Kind of like swansea last season - trying to play a certian way and instucted not to deviate whatever the problem. that can put pressure on the back 5 when in tight situation when they get the ball and are afraid to punt the ball.

We might have been closer to defeat.

There is a class between the two goalkeepers so there will always be more chance of losing with the worst of the two..

I think you do Friedel a great discredit. If Lloris is as good as Friedel in his prime, then I'll be delighted because IMHO in his prime Friedel is in the top three keepers I've seen grace the Premiership (The great Dane and Cech pre-headgear being the other two). Yes Friedel's prime is 8 to 10 years ago but he was still a great keeper and is still a very good keeper now.

Clearly, he's generally told to play it out to the full backs to build from there. Good distribution isn't about setting up chances, it's about building the play in the right way. The ball to Naughton was beautiful, and generally he tried to pick out a man rather than a punt when kicking with any time.

I think the distribution was strong throughout. Also he's quick to come out, when Lazio hit the bar he showed what agility he had with the drive and straight back to his feet. And claimed crosses, caught the ball every time.

It was a SOLID performance. He wasn't the reason we kept a clean sheet, he didn't have a save to make really. So I can't see him dislodging Friedel on THIS performance, but if he is looking this good in training he might be in the team soon. I hope so.

Very comfortable debut by Lloris, I felt so confident with him back there and he looks so comfortable with the ball at his feet, distribution was very good. He's so sharp coming off his line.

I still think friedel's a good keeper though, the opinion above can be shared with the beginning of this sentence, they're not mutually exclusive!!!

Just read the last couple of pages of this thread, MLK if you can't even accept that his distribution is good then I just don't know?

I think friedel is being held up as the last bastion of Harry's (quality) team and some are willing to do anything to try and discredit the new regime, even if it harms their credibility. Just seems like petty point scoring to me.

Not being funny, but he picked Naughton out just shy of the half way line and hugging the touchline on a dime. It's been a very long time since I saw a Spurs keeper able to do that. Shame he was being pressed as people would have been whooping if Naughton had managed to pass.

Sorry but imo Robbo's distribution was way overrated. Okay once in a blue moon his massive kicks would lead almost direct to a goal but 90% of the time they were swallowed up by the opposition defenders who were then able to launch another assault on our goal. I used to ACHE for a goalie who would throw it out wide to one of our own.

I think you do Friedel a great discredit. If Lloris is as good as Friedel in his prime, then I'll be delighted because IMHO in his prime Friedel is in the top three keepers I've seen grace the Premiership (The great Dane and Cech pre-headgear being the other two). Yes Friedel's prime is 8 to 10 years ago but he was still a great keeper and is still a very good keeper now.
Not sure about that at all. If he was a top three PL 'keeper then he would have been at a top club long before the age of 40.

Back