• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Trust the club.
Reporters are doing anything they can to destabilize us right now. Note how Rodgers is getting away with virtually no pressure compared to AVB and Spurs. It's a non-story. Friedel is 41, Lloris will be out #1 for many years to come...

Rodgers has a lot of good will from the press based on Swansea's performances last season. He also took over team not anywhere near as good as ours, they had their lowest league finish in nearly 50 years. Plus he's been done over in the sense that the club didn't get him any strikers, so he's got a tough job on his hands. AVB is taking over a team which finished in the top 4 last season, albeit with some new faces and some notable players now gone.

No time for sentiment. Brad knows he won't be first choice all season his interviews confirm this. Thanks brad but time to move on.

I personally think that Lloris needs to earn his place in the side, and that means being patient waiting for Friedel to a) slip up (and by that I mean have two or three consecutive poor games) or b) wait until Friedel is injured.

I understand why fans want new signings in the first team (just like they often love seeing homegrown kids given a chance) but one of the main no no's for me with managers is when they drop a player in form to accomodate a fan favourite (or one of their favourites!). It sends a terrible signal out to all the players. Players respect their first team place more if it is theirs to lose....and win, rather than being given it as an automatic choice.

I personally think that Lloris needs to earn his place in the side, and that means being patient waiting for Friedel to a) slip up (and by that I mean have two or three consecutive poor games) or b) wait until Friedel is injured.

I understand why fans want new signings in the first team (just like they often love seeing homegrown kids given a chance) but one of the main no no's for me with managers is when they drop a player in form to accomodate a fan favourite (or one of their favourites!). It sends a terrible signal out to all the players. Players respect their first team place more if it is theirs to lose....and win, rather than being given it as an automatic choice.

Agree with this. My only hope is that Brad DOESN'T have two or three bad games as we can ill afford these right now.

It's going to be interesting to see how AVB manages this one. Keepers are not like other positions.

Most clubs have a number 1, first choice keeper. Then they have a main back up, and a junior future prospect, who hopefully won't get to play much. Then the first choice plays pretty much every game, except maybe some cup competitons.

But, as we like to be different, we have two first choice keepers. How do I know this. Well we signed the French first team captain and goalkeeper, presumably because he is quite good right now, as opposed to a future prospect. I find it difficult to believe we signed him as cover for Brad. But then we also have Brad, our first team GK, who AVB insists is doing fine.

I don't buy the playing for a place line with goalkeepers. We need consistency with the goalkeeper. If the first choice fudges up, he is still there the next week, and the week after that -unless his confidence is shot. So if we bought Lloris becase we rated him, he should be in goal. Much as I like Brad and think he is a decent GK. And if we just bought Lloris because he was cheap and we think we can stick him on the bench until next season when we need him -how demotivating is that.

It's going to be interesting to see how AVB manages this one. Keepers are not like other positions.

Most clubs have a number 1, first choice keeper. Then they have a main back up, and a junior future prospect, who hopefully won't get to play much. Then the first choice plays pretty much every game, except maybe some cup competitons.

But, as we like to be different, we have two first choice keepers. How do I know this. Well we signed the French first team captain and goalkeeper, presumably because he is quite good right now, as opposed to a future prospect. I find it difficult to believe we signed him as cover for Brad. But then we also have Brad, our first team GK, who AVB insists is doing fine.

I don't buy the playing for a place line with goalkeepers. We need consistency with the goalkeeper. If the first choice fudges up, he is still there the next week, and the week after that -unless his confidence is shot. So if we bought Lloris becase we rated him, he should be in goal. Much as I like Brad and think he is a decent GK. And if we just bought Lloris because he was cheap and we think we can stick him on the bench until next season when we need him -how demotivating is that.

Competition for places. It usually works.

Lloris will no doubt get loads of chances to impress in the various cups. If he plays blinder after blinder it will be very difficult for Brad to keep him out, even if as current first choice he is doing well. Especially as the Frenchman has potentially more to offer long-term (leadership, communication, command of his area, youthfulness). Brad's weaknesses, such as they are, are well documented (dealing with crosses, poor distribution, the occasional lapse in positional awareness and yes, age) so I would guess the rest of his game will need to be sustained that much more.

All of which has got to be good news for the club.

personally i think that although he has (effectively) said it is Friedel's shirt to lose, Lloris will be brought in to the first team within the next couple of league games - id imagine in training he will show his qualities and then it is a simple case of picking who you think is the better player.

Massive difference between sticking Lloris on the bench until next season and leaving Lloris on the bench for the first game he's available for when he's had around half a week training with the squad and Friedel has been playing very well.

Let's at least give AVB 2-3 games to see how this develops before having a go at him? Maybe even a month or something crazy like that to see what the plan is.

Lloris might have a season on the bench, at absolute worst.

More likely he might have to wait a few months before he is the league regular. But it'll come.

Lloris might have a season on the bench, at absolute worst.

More likely he might have to wait a few months before he is the league regular. But it'll come.

do you genuinely believe that ?

he will be first choice by the end of October at the very latest

Lloris is superb... no doubt. Remember the pressure that David de Gea got at Man Utd last season. Pressure can kill goal keepers and think the club are doing the right thing to allow Lloris to bed in and wait his turn. Get him wanting than expecting. All part of the game, especially with a squad like Spurs.

:ross:

I don't think Friedel's been injured, like, ever. Hasn't he played something like 310 consecutive league games? Haha fat chance he gets injured.

Anyway I was coming into this thread to say that one thing I miss about Gomes (and hopefully someone who knows more about Lloris can tell me if he does this to any extent) were the great long throws he did that often set us on counter attacks. That's been missed with Friedel imo because he isn't exactly in a hurry to get the ball away, he is more chilled out and will hold on to it for a bit, but I always loved seeing those throws basically all the way to the half way line and it was a great asset in our attack imo.

I think AVBs intent to bed Lloris in slowly was a sound move. Unfortunately the media's desire to jump on the tinest thing that AVB does means that when Lloris does start a league game I fear there will be a huge song and dance about it, and the pressure they hoped to avoid will be there anyway.

Back