• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Hugo Lloris

Btw, despite being renowned as more of a shotstopper than a distributor/box commander, Lloris's save percentage is actually quite low - 9th worst in Europe's top five leagues at 61%, compared to de Gea's 78.7%. Hugo's clearly not a bad shotstopper though, so I think the problem lies more with our defending - he's faced an enormous 64 shots within the penalty area compared to just 16 outside it, which is a pretty astonishing ratio (80%) even though the total isn't bad overall. I think the recent higher line we're playing now might also tend to enable fewer but better chances on our goal - if their counter does break through our midfield, they tend to have a lot of space. Luckily, we have a few pacy players in our backline and Lloris is good at coming out to snuff the potentially dangerous situations from distance.

I don't think a very high ratio is necessarily worrisome so long as the overall shots and goals conceded is low, but it's something to think about.

Out of curiosity, at what point do you think this specific stat starts to carry meaning on its own, if ever?

Screw Lloris, I know who I want in goal from now on! 8-[

[video=youtube;yZYAl8HJPSs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZYAl8HJPSs[/video]

LLoris interview, about life in London! Nearly gets run over by a bus!

[video=youtube;AJSMAFUjXFg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJSMAFUjXFg[/video]

Out of curiosity, at what point do you think this specific stat starts to carry meaning on its own, if ever?

I wouldn't put a number on it, just look back at it if our defensive performances start to slip. For example, some teams like PSG are very good at restricting opponents to shots from distance, which to me suggests a deep defense (if total shots are high) or controlling the vast majority of the ball (if total shots are low); this is intuitively speaking - I haven't looked at any correlation here.

If we start conceding a lot of chances *and* the majority of those chances come from close range, that might mean our back four is getting sloppy and/or they're not getting shielded well enough by midfield, which is really worrying. As it is, we're pretty low when it comes to total chances conceded even if the majority of those are dangerous ones, which I think is fair enough for a team playing a high line. I actually remarked on it when watching Chelsea last season - I thought they typically had so much possession and control in midfield that it was rare when they did look vulnerable, the problems were: 1) defensively, once the opposition's counter did break through it was a very dangerous chance and 2) offensively, they were restricting their own space and often did not have the cleverness and speed of passing to slice through the defenses they forced deep.

On problem numero uno, we're doing better thanks to Lloris imo, who's a better sweeper than Cech and has been very proactive at reading the breakthroughs. On the attacking problem, I think we're suffering the same issue, but it's not so much about a self-made lack of space as much as our lack of quick thinking and movement in the final third. We press higher than we did under Harry but we're still playing slightly deeper than Chelsea did last season, preferring to control the ball in central midfield rather than the final third like Chelsea last season and Liverpool these last two seasons. However, the constant slowness of our passing and the extra touches we keep taking - partly thanks to our lack of vision, partly thanks to our lack of options (ie. movement), and finally a word to our striker issue - means that we're struggling to break down teams too. More space would help, but we need to get much better at reading the space we have and not just charge forward and shoot all the time.

Hugo has certainly adapted quickly to the PL: "Tottenham's Hugo Lloris ..... reads the game better than any other goalkeeper in the league."

http://www.goal.com/en/news/1717/editorial/2013/02/09/3737979/-

Lloris, Begovic & Cesar are the three goalies with no errors leading to goal this season.

Not sure what they define as "errors" but I think Lloris was at fault for atleast 1 of the goals we have conceded so far this season. Also, still find it hard to believe Cesar joined QPR from Inter Milan. After all, in less than 3 years, he has transformed from winning CL with Inter to now fighting relegation from English league. I guess he is one of those who gets influenced by money, rather than glory.

Not sure what they define as "errors" but I think Lloris was at fault for atleast 1 of the goals we have conceded so far this season. Also, still find it hard to believe Cesar joined QPR from Inter Milan. After all, in less than 3 years, he has transformed from winning CL with Inter to now fighting relegation from English league. I guess he is one of those who gets influenced by money, rather than glory.

not sure about that. Its seems there werent many takers for him in the summer. He has been out of form for a good while and i think that has put some bigger clubs off him. Also Brazilian goalkeepers generally dont have the best of reputations and maybe some felt Cesar's outstanding form for Inter during their glory run was an exception.

He certainly could have gone to a club like Man Utd for example and been first choice.

not sure about that. Its seems there werent many takers for him in the summer. He has been out of form for a good while and i think that has put some bigger clubs off him. Also Brazilian goalkeepers generally dont have the best of reputations and maybe some felt Cesar's outstanding form for Inter during their glory run was an exception.

He certainly could have gone to a club like Man Utd for example and been first choice.

I'd have to say he's in great form now again. He's been playing a blinder for QPR of late and I can see a few of the big boys back in for him if he keeps it up.

i have to say, outstanding save today from lloris on ameobi's shot

the best bit about it is that in this cold weather he has very little to do up until that point but was very alert when the time came

i think he saved us a couple of points with that save.

the best bit about it is that in this cold weather he has very little to do up until that point but was very alert when the time came

Agreed, his concentration is really excellent...

Lloris does look excellent and he inspires a lot of confidence. I love how he comes out and is assertive in doing so. He really is a bargain at around £11m.

Again Lloris did really well towards the end of a very close game. He's had some key involvements in quite a few of our points this season.

Continues to look like a quality goalkeeper and certainly among the best in the league.

Edit: Will be interesting to see if AVB goes for Lloris or for Friedel against Lyon.

Definitely. That was a very very important stop? Really happy with him so far. His kicking is terrible though.

This.

He is the only keeper I can think of in the PL, that stops chances before they happen. For every mistake that he will make, he will stop 5 goals.
I hope everyone remembers that, the next time something happens involving him.

Yup. I think of him as an extra defender more than a keeper. His reading of the game and concentration are excellent, unflashy but critical qualities that tend not to be highlighted for his position.

Brad I'd expect.

Without a shadow of a doubt he'll pick Lloris. Why? Because its s key fixture in that competition and he'll know that Lloris will be desperate to play against his old team. Add in that we have a big gap until we play West Ham and I can't see any reason why it wouldn't be him.

Back