• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How muich would we benefit from a settled back 4 next season

honestly i know i can be irrational about king , but kaboul can jump higher and run faster for longer. i dont see anything else that he's better at

Being fit for games?

If this thread is an argument for a consistent centre back pairing then King should be ruled out instantly. He cannot be relied upon to play week in week out.

honestly i know i can be irrational about king , but kaboul can jump higher and run faster for longer. i dont see anything else that he's better at

Do you agree that there is a benefit to having a settled, consistent back 4 and/or a benefit to having a settled, consistent back 3 (centre halves and goalkeeper)?

If so, then assuming that King is deteriorating in quality and that we buy Vertonghen then at some point it could at some point be beneficial to start Kaboul and Vertonghen over King even though he could be better than either one or both of them individually when fit.

We get the "King's time to retire" EVERY SEASON!! and then he always goes and proves EVERYONE wrong the following year with excellent performances. I have no doubt it will probably be the same this year too..

Sure. To me at least though this season was a bit different, it wasn't just the injuries and months out of the team. Unlike previous seasons he actually looked in a lot of pain and struggling physically when playing and he did look like he could deal with anything and everything. He looked human.

One of our biggest problems over the last few seasons has been having to change our CB's every few games because of injury. King, Gallas and before that Woody have been injured more often the not. We need to establish a partnership that will help our back four become more reliable, unfortuatly that is not going to happen with King and Gallas.

Anyone who wants King to retire is in no place to complain about the way modern football is going.

if king is fit then he starts. for me that is gospel.

Sadly everytime I watch King recently it just saddens me to see a shadow of the former great.

He looked worse and worse each game as the season came towards a close.

At this point, as much as I love him, I think it might be time to sideline him in favour of continuity

Anyone who wants King to retire is in no place to complain about the way modern football is going.

yeah, quite frankly i haven't got the time of day for anyone saying we should get rid of him - this is our captain - the man that has put his body through hell for the majority of his career just to wear our brick, a player that always gives 100%, a player that made losing Sol Campbell a lot easier by coming in and filling his boots (and more) - people talk about loyalty in football and now it's time for us to show him some - give him the contract he deserves, he should be under contract at the club until he decides to call it a day and not a moment sooner.

whether he should be first choice by default when fit is another matter though

Sure. To me at least though this season was a bit different, it wasn't just the injuries and months out of the team. Unlike previous seasons he actually looked in a lot of pain and struggling physically when playing and he did look like he could deal with anything and everything. He looked human.

King himself will know when to pack it up. If he thinks he can go, I trust and believe in his ability.

I'm very excited by this prospect.

Gallas and King really need to be kept in reserve to let this 4 settle and become a unit. Redknapp wont see it that way though (if he's even heard of Vertonghen)

Ledley King has been, and is, a loyal servant to the club, and we have stood by him. On his day he is the finest defender I have seen play both in the flesh, and on TV, ever.
He did look at times at the end of last season as if he had lost some of his pace, and he may not be the player we have relied upon in the past. However, he is still better when he plays than 95% of premier league defenders, so course we keep him and offer a contract extension similar to the one he has now, but maybe with an offer of a real back room role at Spurs as well.
But for the purposes of continuity, and this thread Ledley is no longer a guaranteed centre half selection, so I would try and go with Younes and the new boy Vert.

King himself will know when to pack it up. If he thinks he can go, I trust and believe in his ability.

I am in no way saying that he needs to retire. That should have course be left up to him and his doctors. I would be very happy to have the medical staff and himself along with Harry and Levy say that King will stay on for at least another season.

Just saying that it might not be the best for the club to have him as an automatic first choice.

No swan song for Bong:
"Bongani has made it clear on his side that he wants to remain in Europe and he hopes to get an opportunity at Tottenham Hotspur. He is still contracted to the club for another three years and he will go back to Tottenham for pre-season at the beginning of July,"

I guess he's saying fans are all too quick to point out that all footballers are mercinary tacos, but here we are with Spurs fans saying King should retire because of a few dodgy games - despite being a Spurs legend, a fantastic player and someone willing to risk their future health just so he can play a few more games for us. Fickleness works both ways.

I guess he's saying fans are all too quick to point out that all footballers are mercinary tacos, but here we are with Spurs fans saying King should retire because of a few dodgy games - despite being a Spurs legend, a fantastic player and someone willing to risk their future health just so he can play a few more games for us. Fickleness works both ways.

The guy shouldn't have to risk his future health for us. He's done more than enough for us over the years and shouldn't be given a huge pay off or a coaching position or whatever he wants.

No swan song for Bong:
"Bongani has made it clear on his side that he wants to remain in Europe and he hopes to get an opportunity at Tottenham Hotspur. He is still contracted to the club for another three years and he will go back to Tottenham for pre-season at the beginning of July,"

Why the f**k did we give him such a long contract?! Hopefully 2 of those are option years.

I'm torn on King, I'd love to keep him as 3rd choice (when fit or first choice if he recovers, post op, to a level above the back end of this season), but if he wanted to go to Reading (say) as a guaranteed 1st teamer we owe him that also do we not? What I hope most is that Levy/Harry don't lie to him to get him to sign a pay as you play deal, the worst thng in the world would be to read quotes from Ledley slating Spurs.

Back