• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend this summer?

What will be our net spend this summer?

• Total voters
Do you think the deal he has with City currently will expire if we sell him on? Is there any reason to believe this, or just speculation?

If the reports are true and we're only paying around half his wages there are plenty of teams that can afford that. If City will continue paying the rest of his wages until the point where his contract with them would have expired I don't think he would be unsellable at all.

It'll be tied to his contract I imagine, so it will expire if/when we renew that at any time as well.

I don't think there's any way City would end up paying his wages for a third club. It would be like Madrid still paying vdV even though he's now moved on.

It'll be tied to his contract I imagine, so it will expire if/when we renew that at any time as well.

I don't think there's any way City would end up paying his wages for a third club. It would be like Madrid still paying vdV even though he's now moved on.

A lot of the Leeds players had subsidised wages that carried after resales. I'm sure that Leeds were paying towards Robbie Fowler's wages for a while after he left.

A lot of the Leeds players had subsidised wages that carried after resales. I'm sure that Leeds were paying towards Robbie Fowler's wages for a while after he left.

I don't think City would be against it if you could make the contracts work in their favour.

I.E. They are paying 100k on Ade's wages now, we sell him on, they pay 80k on his wages for the final year.

Yeah, I think there would be some options available to us if we wanted to sell him. Doesn't sound like Levy to paint himself into a corner in transfer negotiations.

The usually reported arrangement are that they are paying half his wages, like they did through the loan period - so £100k per week of his £200k.

he wasnt on 200k, and no way would Levy be paying him 100k a week....come on, lets be serious

he wasnt on 200k, and no way would Levy be paying him 100k a week....come on, lets be serious

He and Bale are reportedly our joint highest earners on £100k pw. And he definitely didn't take a pay cut from his £200k at City to come to us.

IMO its the first proper window for AVB, so Levy backs him

This. Assuming Bale stays we have one season to make everything click under AVB, which it hasn't so far. We just need a few of the right signings to improve the versatility of our squad and we'll be there. A few more goals up front/from the wing and some creativity/mobility in any central midfield position would be lovely. An attacking left-back too...

Hopefully we will spend a net £30m (unless some squad players go for silly money). £10m-£20m each on a striker, wide-forward and central midfielder could be the answer. Obviously there will be players out there who could do just as well for cheaper, but I have no idea whether these players exist or not. If we're going for proven quality it will not come cheap, so hopefully AVB knows of a few gems.

If not then I would like to see Levy lay down some cash as he has (occasionally) done in the past. In the couple of years where we signed Bent, Modric and Bentley for about £50m combined we were really pushing to get into the top 4, although we fell away a bit and spent a few years re-stabilising under Redknapp. Now we need a similar push, especially if we come 5th. Hopefully Levy will realise that and will back a manager that has proven himself this year far more than Ramos did by winning the Carling Cup and coming 11th. We have spent little in the transfer market recently, hopefully this summer will be the time for action.

How do you tell whether or not Levy has backed him though?

You really can't.

Either way I think we'll be more active in the transfer market this summer. I'm sure AVB has a much better idea of who he wants now than he did last summer, having worked with the squad for a season, and I'm sure Levy is also much more willing to back him bearing in mind AVB's successes and the fact that our star player will leave next summer if we do not improve significantly.

Either way I think we'll be more active in the transfer market this summer. I'm sure AVB has a much better idea of who he wants now than he did last summer, having worked with the squad for a season, and I'm sure Levy is also much more willing to back him bearing in mind AVB's successes and the fact that our star player will leave next summer if we do not improve significantly.

I cannot see us being that more active. I think that we are looking at one or two senior signings and a few young prospects.

More active than last? I think that's crazy talk. Last season we bought four first team players (Vertonghen, Lloris, Ade, Dempsey) and one backup player (siggy).

Than we bought Holtby in Jan.

That's an intake of 4/11 of our first team. I can't see us being that busy this summer. Mostly because it's not required as much. Freidel was getting old, Modric wanted out, King retired, VDV (whatever you believe about VDV). Three of those were (pretty much) forced upon us.

This summer? I can see us buying two first team players and a couple of youngsters.

Levy backing the manager does not have to be quantity but IMO it will be quality. Could see two 20m players

And Dembele too Spursalot.

Tbh I think this isn't the summer to throw money at an all or nothing assualt on the top 4, as the top 3 (with much bigger funds than us) will all back their new managers big time, whilst Arsenal are now stadium repayments free and likely to spend big too.

The time to do this was actually last summer when Chelsea and Arsenal were weak, and Arsenal in particular could have been overtaken. If we'd've got Moutinho in August and Leandro in January I think Wenger would have been off to PSG and Arsenal would now be in crisis. Now they are going to strengthen massively and we don't have the resources to compete.

And Dembele too Spursalot.

Tbh I think this isn't the summer to throw money at an all or nothing assualt on the top 4, as the top 3 (with much bigger funds than us) will all back their new managers big time, whilst Arsenal are now stadium repayments free and likely to spend big too.

The time to do this was actually last summer when Chelsea and Arsenal were weak, and Arsenal in particular could have been overtaken. If we'd've got Moutinho in August and Leandro in January I think Wenger would have been off to PSG and Arsenal would now be in crisis. Now they are going to strengthen massively and we don't have the resources to compete.

Oh gonad*s, i missed Dembele, that makes it 5/11 first team players. We don't need that kind of an overhaul.

You are right that it would have been nice to do it last summer, but replacing the players that were leaving was the priority. The top three may all back their managers big time, that doesn't mean they will all be successful though. I would not be surprised if at least 1/3 fell short. In my mind it will be Moyes.

Arsenal had the funds to strengthen massively last year, they just chose not to.

Last edited:
Back