• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend it January?

What will be our net spend in January?

• Less than we get from sales

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Break even

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • 0 - £5m

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • £5m - £10m

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • £10m - £15m

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • £15m +

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: The We8Campbell Memorial ITK Thread

There is quite a difference between a £20m and £30m+ player.

As someone already pointed out - Porto's wages for example are nowhere near as astronomical as it is perceived to be - have a look at the Moutinho thread.

It's not about Porto's wages but the competition to sign players that attract those type of fees and what other clubs could offer.

Who else is realistically interested in Moutinho that could out-bid us?

But even so - I thought this particular discussion is about us being able to sign a player who is available for £20-22m

Last edited:

Who else is realistically interested in Moutinho that could out-bid us?

But even so - I thought this particular discussion is about us being able to sign a player who is available for £20-22m

He is not worth £30m if no one else is interested on signing him.

Because big money moves rarely happen in January and when they do they are for inflated prices. That doesn't sound like a Levy's kind of deal to me.

I also do not think that we could accommodate a £30m+ players wages within our wage structure.

Redknapp spent £45m in his first January window (on Palacios, Keane and Defoe). You'd hope Andre will be given the same backing.

Redknapp spent £45m in his first January window (on Palacios, Keane and Defoe). You'd hope Andre will be given the same backing.

We had a fair bit in the bank at the time, having not spent all of the Berbatov and Keane money.

More importantly, we were in genuine danger of being relegated. Desperate times, desperate measures!

We had a fair bit in the bank at the time, having not spent all of the Berbatov and Keane money.

More importantly, we were in genuine danger of being relegated. Desperate times, desperate measures!

That was the last window we had a serious net spend and I don't see that happening again in the forseeable future. We can't spend money we don't have, we're not Real Madrid.

That was the last window we had a serious net spend and I don't see that happening again in the forseeable future. We can't spend money we don't have, we're not Real Madrid.

I agree. Since that window we have either broken even or spent a small amount on top of revenue from sales. We spent most of the money raised from sales in the summer, I don't see AVB being given significant funds on top of this in January or next summer.

I agree. Since that window we have either broken even or spent a small amount on top of revenue from sales. We spent most of the money raised from sales in the summer, I don't see AVB being given significant funds on top of this in January or next summer.

This would be very disappointing if indeed it comes to pass. Our failure to properly strengthen the squad in the last two Jan windows have effectively cost us CL qualification twice in my opinion. It is a false economy in some respects as the revenue directly and indirectly from CL qualification would far outweigh any outlay.

There comes a time when you have to take a chance, and for Levy and AVB I don't see why not now. I imagine we'll be in or around 4th position after the xmas period so a top class addition to the squad could be the difference.

Its an interesting question. Running a business (and I do), you never want to be in a position where you are spending more than you make. You work so hard to build something you wouldn't then gamble it all. Unless you had serious backing. If you knew you had a wealthy backer who'd bale you out if the gamble did not work, then you can speculate to accumulate.

We've never really know if Joe Lewis is prepared to back the club. From what we know however, he's happy for it to run making a profit or breaking even at best. He's a businessman so he'll like it being run well. We know he watches the games. So he is a fan too.

Its one of those things. Wherever you are, there is always one more thing you could buy. In terms of the current playing personnel I don't think we've ever had it so good (in my life time) and we seem to do it without spending a great deal - or at least by cashing in on a player ever couple of years.

We have to spend, this isn't last January when Levy didn't want to back Harry because of the issues with him leaving for England job.

Big opportunity to go after 4th, improve our financial position while hurting our competition's finances (specifically Pool and Scum).

Need a creative midfielder to help against teams that just sit back and make it hard to break them down. Also need a striker as Ade is way off form, and JD alone is not enough to carry us to 4th.

This.
I'd be very surprised if we did splash bonkles of wonga. Some say we simply don't have it!!!!! Others say we will be prudent...

I think Levy will probably try to pull off cheap deals for Llorente and Sneijder. AVB obviously wants players more along the lines of Moutinho and Willian. The former would cost 20 million together about, the latter two would cost more like 45 million. If Levy was willing to spend that much money (he's not), he should go for Llorente, Sneijder, and one of Willian or Moutinho.

I can't remember what i voted for the first time round...

We're currently down what, £3m from Fryers?

You don't even think we're gonna get Holtby in?

Possibly, but I would only expect him to be a fringe player in the second half of the season if we did. I wouldn't be surprised if we brought in a -£10m striker (Jones, Hooper, A.N. Other).

Back