• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend it January?

What will be our net spend in January?

• Less than we get from sales

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Break even

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • 0 - £5m

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • £5m - £10m

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • £10m - £15m

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • £15m +

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would guess 8-10m maximum.

Potentially lighten the wage bill by getting rid of Gomes, Friedel and getting a new young no 2 in.

Possibly also sell Jenas and Bentley for say 5m for the pair.

That would give us enough for once decent midfielder.

I doubt Jenas and Bentley will be sold, their loan clubs would rather us foot the bill for their wages...

Can see Gomes leaving on loan..

Can't see us in for a 10-15m midfielder tbh, i think the setup will work well with Dembele, Sandro and Dempsey.

Reckon we'll spend some on a shiny new youngish striker.

If we can get rid of a couple, or get a really good deal, I can see us going for a big name, otherwise one or two at £6-12 million a piece. Not bothered about a marquee signing as long as we buy players that fit into the team and improve us.

If we can get rid of a couple, or get a really good deal, I can see us going for a big name, otherwise one or two at £6-12 million a piece. Not bothered about a marquee signing as long as we buy players that fit into the team and improve us.

I dislike the 'Marquee' signing stuff. It gets very circular.

We buy one good player.

They become central to our game.

Big clubs take note of said player.

We sell to big clubs.

It takes us a while to adapt to play without them and we fall back.

Even if you do buy another 50m Modric player there's always the chance that they would flop, there are lots of precedents.

I want us to go all out for Moutinho and maybe Willian (im happy with Lennon though). Both are in CL with respective clubs so I dont think its a possibility although there is some potential for those deals to go through either in january or in the summer.

To be honest I dont care how much we spend but more AVB buying the players. I do not want Levy to fudgein interfere. Some will disagree and we have gone through this already but I think Levy meddled too much in the summer and to a certain extent those players we brought either some or all were not AVBs

I will go with 39m

I want us to go all out for Moutinho and maybe Willian (im happy with Lennon though). Both are in CL with respective clubs so I dont think its a possibility although there is some potential for those deals to go through either in january or in the summer.

To be honest I dont care how much we spend but more AVB buying the players. I do not want Levy to fudgein interfere. Some will disagree and we have gone through this already but I think Levy meddled too much in the summer and to a certain extent those players we brought either some or all were not AVBs

I will go with 39m

It's like his job to run the finances. Therefore if he's not interfering he's doing a pretty brick job.

It's like his job to run the finances. Therefore if he's not interfering he's doing a pretty brick job.

Run finances fine obviously thats his job. To buy players isnt. Running finances means giving someone a budget and backing him means letting the Manager do his own thing (of course within reason and in line with strategy but that would have been agreed from the get go).

Levy will never give a manager X millions and say 'do what you want'. He'll want to know exactly why the manager wants a player and how important it is to get him. He'll also be listening to his advisors, whoever they are, and if the conclusion is that the player isn't worth the fee that's being asked it won't happen. Doesn't matter if we can afford it or not.

Run finances fine obviously thats his job. To buy players isnt. Running finances means giving someone a budget and backing him means letting the Manager do his own thing (of course within reason and in line with strategy but that would have been agreed from the get go).

How many managers in the league do you think go off and just do their own thing?

I'd assume there are two, maybe three.

SAF, Wenger and Moyes.

I don't think we will sign anyone if I am honest with you and if we do it won't be no marquee signing, will probably be some youngster. Or that young Porto player we were after in the summer.

I don't think we'll sign anyone to be honest - probably offload Friedel, Gomes and possibly Dawson.

We can't have 4 senior keepers on our payroll - it is completely unreasonabe

Last edited:

The actual negotiation bit seems to be at least partly his job.

I don't think it is as easy as just "giving a manager a budget and let him do his thing", and I don't think it should be either.

How many managers in the league do you think go off and just do their own thing?

I'd assume there are two, maybe three.

SAF, Wenger and Moyes.

I don't think that even they have complete freedom because all of them are working under financial restraints

I don't think that even they have complete freedom because all of them are working under financial restraints

I think it's clear that every manager will be working under some financial restraints, I think DHSF was talking about freedom to buy whoever the manager wanted that they could buy within those constraints.

Those managers have earned a position at those clubs after a very long time there. They have kinda been given the key to the club to run it as they see fit, I don't think just giving that kind of freedom to a newly appointed manager is a great idea.

I think it's clear that every manager will be working under some financial restraints, I think DHSF was talking about freedom to buy whoever the manager wanted that they could buy within those constraints.

Those managers have earned a position at those clubs after a very long time there. They have kinda been given the key to the club to run it as they see fit, I don't think just giving that kind of freedom to a newly appointed manager is a great idea.

you are probably right

Back