• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

How much will we spend it January?

What will be our net spend in January?

• Less than we get from sales

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Break even

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • 0 - £5m

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • £5m - £10m

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • £10m - £15m

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • £15m +

Votes: 16 31.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Each player offers something different - this isn't a mathematical equation for me when their perceived 'worth' is in fact quite similar - in my books at least.

We are not comparing Cristiano Ronaldo and Matt Jarvis after all.

Last edited:
Each player offers something different - this isn't a mathematical equation for me when their perceived 'worth' is in fact quite similar - in my books at least.

We are not comparing Cristiano Ronaldo and Matt Jarvis after all.

No, but it goes some way towards explaining the underlying reasons for the different opinions. If you rate Livermore a lot higher compared to Parker than me then obviously you see him as better cover for Sandro then I do.

I rate them on a similar level with different strong points (as already explained). Parker would probably edge it for me based on experience and 'reading'

I don't think we need to be spending big bucks. We have a superb first sixteen, the problem is that some key players have not been fit and there has been a lack of depth covering. I'd say our first choice team would be:

Lloris
BAE
Kaboul
Vertonghen
Walker
Bale
Sandro
Dembele
Lennon
Parker/Adebayor?
Defoe

Now, if the keeper was injured you would bring in Friedel, CB would be Caulker, full back Naughton, centre mid Sigurdson, striker Dempsey, plus either Adebayor or Parker in the mix. Make no mistake, if those 17 players were fully fit all season we would be right up there with the Manchester duo.

But realistically, how big a player can we bring in if we are to improve the side but also keep the squad happy? I'd say as far as first XI goes there isn't any point breaking the bank for any position, bar possibly an attacking mid/second striker. Given that Defoe is now pretty much undroppable it means Adebayor would have to be willing to play a bit part. Can't see us bringing in a £20m+ striker. Playmaker maybe but I still think once Dembele gets going, along with hopefully a fully fit Parker, we will start to tick.

The only other position I could see us going big on is left back, as much as I love him you do think there are better LBs out there than Benoit. But he's still a competent pro.

For me the key is adding to that depth, that bench. African cup of nations aside, we are sorted up front. So maybe just a quality striker from the MLS on loan? It's the width that worries me, what do we do when Bale or Lennon is out, or just knackered? And FB too, nation isn't ready yet.

Think it more likely we will unload than buy. Gomes and Friedel, maybe Jenas and Bentley. Possibly also Parker if Harry makes an outrageous bid. Hope not Dawson.

Dont think we will buy a CF as too much competition from Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and maybe even City who are all desperate for a CF and will out bid us for anyone decent.

Need some cover for Lennon and BAE desperately though. If Parker or Hudd goes, then we need a CM also.

Don't really see us making money from those four, I think they all could be good buys for some team or another but I think getting in 7/8m for all of them would be the best business we could do. Don't think we really want to be losing Brad, and as long as he's happy with his place in the squad we won't.

I think wages, as usual will be the biggest stumbling block - but in the summer we are potentially going to lose : Friedel, Gomes, Cudicini, Gallas, Jenas and Bentley from the wage bill with little need to directly replace them in the first team squad (a younger no.2 on less wages obv) so that's around 250k on wages getting freed up in the not too distant future - money which can be used to cover the wages of a new starting CM, Mouthino ? A RWF, Willian ? and a young forward, Leandro?

Those 3 could come in, in either jan or the summer and have little effect on our overall wage bill should we move on those players mentioned above. High in transfer fees yes - but the REAL constraint with Levy, for me, is wages.

....... As for what happens in Jan, id say Wiilian and Moutinho wont be available till the summer but Leandro could arrive along with Fryers - not much more than that

We won't be spending brick as usual levy will probably leak some story how we were willing to spend millions on a player but it won't happen

Re: The We8Campbell Memorial ITK Thread

If AVB's targets are the likes og Moutinho, Willian and Fernandinho I can see why Levy would rather go for some less expensive alternatives. I do not think he's getting a raw deal if he wants £20+ millon players.

If Levy wants him to deliver targets perhaps he also needs to consider providing him the right tools. It certainly won't happen with the likes of Danny Rose and William Gallas.

20m today with inflation, increased agent fees, etc. - is worth about what we used to pay for Bent and Modric 4-5 years ago. So I'm not quite sure how you deducted a 20m player is unaffordable to us?

If Levy wants him to deliver targets perhaps he also needs to consider providing him the right tools. It certainly won't happen with the likes of Danny Rose and William Gallas.

20m today with inflation, increased agent fees, etc. - is worth about what we used to pay for Bent and Modric 4-5 years ago. So I'm not quite sure how you deducted a 20m player is unaffordable to us?

I just don't think we have that kind of money. Most of our increase in income has gone towards wages.

And who's to say what the targets are. It doesn't have to be top 4 just because some of the fans think so.

Top 4 has been on the table since Jol's days - bearing in mind our squad quality and overall club stature has increased considerably since then - I would srtongly doubt AVB's targets are much different - makes little sense, imv

We pay more wages but we also generate higher turnover (excluding sales) - I see no logical reason to imagine Levy would pay double the wages 5 years down the line if we were in the same boat financially.

Last edited:

If AVB's targets are the likes og Moutinho, Willian and Fernandinho I can see why Levy would rather go for some less expensive alternatives. I do not think he's getting a raw deal if he wants £20+ millon players.

Even moreso, if they are the targets, I can see why we don't do business until the end of the window. Any agent worth his salt won't sign a deal with Spurs for a decent player straight away. Rather, he'd prefer to wait it out to see if one of the Champs League clubs with deeper pockets has a sniff.

We could go wild in this window and spend what we expect to get for Bale in the summer, but I still wouldn't expect anyone for more than £20 million.

We could go wild in this window and spend what we expect to get for Bale in the summer, but I still wouldn't expect anyone for more than £20 million.

I agree, in fact I'd go further, I'd be very surprised if we broke the £10m barrier for more than one player in January.

I agree, in fact I'd go further, I'd be very surprised if we broke the £10m barrier for more than one player in January.

We spent around £60m in the summer

We used to spent close to that back in Comolli's days alone (5 years back)

Why do you think it's so improbable we'd spend 1/3 of that on a single player?

We spent around £60m in the summer

We used to spent close to that back in Comolli's days alone (5 years back)

Why do you think it's so improbable we'd spend 1/3 of that on a single player?

Because big money moves rarely happen in January and when they do they are for inflated prices. That doesn't sound like a Levy's kind of deal to me.

I also do not think that we could accommodate a £30m+ players wages within our wage structure.

There is quite a difference between a £20m and £30m+ player.

As someone already pointed out - Porto's wages for example are nowhere near as astronomical as it is perceived to be - have a look at the Moutinho thread.

Last edited:
Back