• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Redknapp: The Aftermath

Would you keep Arry after the Season?

• Yes - He's done well and should be given at least one more season to consolidate our team

Votes: 25 53.2%
  • No - he's peaked and would hold us back.

Votes: 22 46.8%

• Total voters
now i'm not one for hyperbole but this has been the worst sporting collapse ever

Kevin Keegan, Greg Norman, Bayern Munich, Devon Loch, The 1981 Aussie Ashes team, Jean van de Velde and host of forgotten names would strongly disagree with you.

He's a decent manager. Motivates players well and if you have players with ability then that works well. At times he doesn't seem to see the blindingly obvious though. Like giving Bale a free role when we have no other winger on the pitch and therefore giving us absolutely no width whatsoever, against a team like Stoke who are very difficult to break down through the middle.

Also does my nut in the way he constantly changes things he says to the press in order to prevent himself from looking bad. Anyone else notice that a month ago it was, why can't we go for the title, were right up there to now, we're punching above our weight, we'll have done incredibly well if we make top 4.

No Harry, we have sat in 3rd spot for pretty much the entire season, at one point we were 10 points clear. If we surrender 3rd we only have ourselves to blame, and unfortunately being the manager, that blame falls with you.

I find it very hard to believe that Harry does outright stupid things like not play Bale in his best position for no reason. To assume Harry can't see stuff that a bunch of dudes on a message board can seems a bit silly.

We've seen repeatedly through the season that while people say we have a great squad, that is only true up to a point. Niko and Gio sound good on paper, but put them in there and they clearly come up short. Some, not necessarily me, might say the same of Defoe, Sandro, Bassong, Corluka, Saha, Cudicini and others at different times. So thinking it's a matter of just "slotting in" these players like it's Subutteo seems a bit simplistic. You also have the issue of how players are - mentally, physically, in training - behind closed doors. Harry might take one look at Gio and think there's no way he's playing even if a certain slot seems right for him.

Finally, we shouldn't forget that it's not as though Bale is useless in positions other than the left wing! I can't remember for sure, but I presume his shot that hit the bar last night came from a move where he was in the middle or on the right. And he always has the option to suddenly pop up explosively on the left just as the right sided defenders have forgotten about him. It's not all bad by any means.

Nah ofcourse not. With the current set of players yes for sure. I think Harry has worked wonders with this squad because I think its totally overrated.

Harry really does need signings and enough of this out clearing the deadwood ultimatum as it were. We need a number of additions to strengthen the squad with two of them coming in and strengthening the first team ie. a striker and a defender. We have cleared enough, saved on wages and got in some transfer fees. Now is the time to spend BUT the calibre f players we will be able to bring in is determined by where we finish this season Top four, we can get CL players but if we finish top five? not sure.

I agree with that mate, i like us and how we play but some of our players are no where near as good as others make out.

I agree with that mate, i like us and how we play but some of our players are no where near as good as others make out.

i disagree. its a very good squad that needs to be coached and trained much much more to squeeze some more talent out of them.

I think we have a very good squad indeed. This will in no doubt be thrown straight back in my face, however when I look at United's first team and ours, I believe 80% of ours would walk into theirs.

Walker over Rafael
Kaboul over Evans
King over Rio
Parker over Carrick
Modric over Scholes
Lennon over Nani
Bale over Giggs
VDV over Welbeck
Adebayor over Henandez

I know its going to be greeted with "why are they top" but IMHO its the Fergi/Man United factor....

I left Rooney out because he would be kept in for sure, I think its also borderline between BAE/Evra and the keepers to be honest.

But you get the gist

I think we have a very good squad indeed. This will in no doubt be thrown straight back in my face, however when I look at United's first team and ours, I believe 80% of ours would walk into theirs.

Walker over Rafael
Kaboul over Evans - Vidic over both
King over Rio
Parker over Carrick
Modric over Scholes
Lennon over Nani
Bale over Giggs
VDV over Welbeck - Rooney over both
Adebayor over Henandez

I know its going to be greeted with "why are they top" but IMHO its the Fergi/Man United factor....

So that's 50:50. Add in a far better manager and you have the gulf that is between them and us.

The furthest Redknapp can take us to depends on his spending power and where we finish this season. If we finish 3rd this season, then we can finish 3rd or higher again next season (in the unlikely chance he stays)

However, if we finish 3rd, then we can sign another top-class manager (hopefully Jose), and go on to compete for the title next season. If we finish 4th then none of this will happen

And just as I finished that, Statto decided to post on Twitter something that reassures me massively:

ScreenShot2012-03-21at235152.png

So is now the 10th longest serving manager, gameswise, and closing in on Terry Venables.

Looking at that list brings back some memories too, good and bad

But if we finish 5th or even 6th after being at one point 12 clear in 3rd and get beat by chelsea or even Bolton then i'd say it would rank as one of our worst.

We all know which way we hope it goes, but right now we just cant tell.

A continuation of the current run of form over the next 4 or 5 League games and an exit from the FA Cup v Bolton or Chelsea, could see HR annouced as England boss (if they still want him) as early as mid-April, but...

The postive side, we regain some confidence and form, pick up a point on Saturday then get past Bolton, qualify for the CL either 3rd or 4th, reach a Cup final. Its all rosy again and Harry stays to continue his good work

i disagree. its a very good squad that needs to be coached and trained much much more to squeeze some more talent out of them.

I dont think its that great or good a squad - I think its vastly overrated. We have players that dont fit into the premiership like Kranjcar (so so slow) and have key gaps in the squad (no Right Winger) and our main striker is a loan. So yeah I think its overrated.

We need to buy this summer and our squad needed rebuilding and I think Harrys brief over the last two windows was to get rid of deadwood and reduce size. I want Harry to have this window to splash a bit fo cash and bring in some reinforcements to the squad and two key players to the first team i.e. up front and at the back

I think we have a good squad and better then most, however we need more from the management and coaching if it is to reach its potential.

I think we have a good squad and better then most, however we need more from the management and coaching if it is to reach its potential.

I agree. Harry has done some good work, but has the following limitations which form a vicious circle:

- He struggles to truly rotate and manage the squad beyond perhaps the first 14/15 players Those outside this group have to wait for injuries and REALLY poor form to get a look in

- Due to our lack of a reserve team playing in a reserve league, when players beyond the above group they are EXTREMELY rusty and also very tentative; they know any false move they are back out of the team

- Also due to same lack o reserve games, when key players get injured they don't have those games to ease them to fitness; In fact they are often rushed back early because of...

- the lack of a plan B to compensate for their absence; I mean we are effectively crumbking just because ONE winger is missing. Imagine what we'd say if Arsenal crumbled just because of missing Walcott!

I hope the flak Harry is perhaps getting in the media makes him knuckle down and work ot a solution quickly. We will only get out of this rut with some hard work on the training ground as well as some luck and confidence. Harry is a proud man and being thought of as someone who blows a 10 point lead wont sit easy with him and I hope this reflects in him knuckling down and at leazt preparing for the opposition we are playing.

I agree. Harry has done some good work, but has the following limitations which form a vicious circle:

- He struggles to truly rotate and manage the squad beyond perhaps the first 14/15 players Those outside this group have to wait for injuries and REALLY poor form to get a look in

- Due to our lack of a reserve team playing in a reserve league, when players beyond the above group they are EXTREMELY rusty and also very tentative; they know any false move they are back out of the team

- Also due to same lack o reserve games, when key players get injured they don't have those games to ease them to fitness; In fact they are often rushed back early because of...

- the lack of a plan B to compensate for their absence; I mean we are effectively crumbking just because ONE winger is missing. Imagine what we'd say if Arsenal crumbled just because of missing Walcott!

I hope the flak Harry is perhaps getting in the media makes him knuckle down and work ot a solution quickly. We will only get out of this rut with some hard work on the training ground as well as some luck and confidence. Harry is a proud man and being thought of as someone who blows a 10 point lead wont sit easy with him and I hope this reflects in him knuckling down and at leazt preparing for the opposition we are playing.

I think that the reason we struggle to rotate beyond the first 14/15 players is because there is a big drop off in quality outside of this group.

Scrapping the reserve team has done the development of the younger players the world of good. The scrapping of the reserve team also did not hinder fringe players in Redknapp's first two full seasons.

The main issue that we have had in the last month or so is the loss of Lennon. We lack balance and are more predictable without him.

I hope the flak Harry is perhaps getting in the media makes him knuckle down and work out a solution quickly. We will only get out of this rut with some hard work on the training ground as well as some luck and confidence. Harry is a proud man and being thought of as someone who blows a 10 point lead wont sit easy with him and I hope this reflects in him knuckling down and at least preparing for the opposition we are playing.

I would not hold my breath on that, Redknapp has never changed the way he manages in the 30 years he has been a manager. He has got where he is because of what he is, he is a dinosaur who believe trust in his players and a arm around them is enough to send them onto the pitch. In today's football with the tactical formations that exist it is not enough to get to the very top and stay there.

I think that the reason we struggle to rotate beyond the first 14/15 players is because there is a big drop off in quality outside of this group.

Scrapping the reserve team has done the development of the younger players the world of good. The scrapping of the reserve team also did not hinder fringe players in Redknapp's first two full seasons.

The main issue that we have had in the last month or so is the loss of Lennon. We lack balance and are more predictable without him.

A big drop off in quality? Really?
Was Corluka ever that much worse than Walker, often lauded for his pace and attacking skills but berated for his defensive positioning and awareness (the opposite of Corluka)?
Bassong? Was he always a big drop-off in quality? Wasn't he a mainstay in our season when we finishhed 4th?
Pienaar? Was he always expected to be a big drop-off in quality? If si, why did Redknapp buy him?

Perhaps the youngsters who have done well would have done well anyway? BTW, what's happened to Bostock?

Oh, and are we really a one-man team now? So we give that label to Arsenal re RVP, but are we not the same if just because Lennon is out we lack balance??

I would not hold my breath on that, Redknapp has never changed the way he manages in the 30 years he has been a manager. He has got where he is because of what he is, he is a dinosaur who believe trust in his players and a arm around them is enough to send them onto the pitch. In today's football with the tactical formations that exist it is not enough to get to the very top and stay there.

Would you say that Wenger and Ferguson are similar dinosaurs?

Back