• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Harry Kane MBE

Lamela stopped actually and watched it as he thought it had gone in
Disagree, he paused as he anticipated the ball hitting the post and coming out to where he was. In those situations you don't want to get too close and overrun where the ball bounces.
So unlucky.
Reminds me of that England game, think it was vs West Germany in the World Cup Semi Final in 1990, when the ball rolled slowly across the goal and Gazza hesitated because he thought the keeper was going to get a small touch, but he didn't... and that hundredth of a second meant Gazza couldn't quite reach the ball to tap into the empty net.

I think Llorente is more at fault here. Lamela was probably expecting the ball to be saved by the goalie and get deflected to him. Instead, the ball hit the post and went backwards towards the goal line. This is where Llorente should have been to tap the ball in. Despite all his failures, we still brought him on in a crucial CL match to find the much needed goal but he was just ball-watching in this occasion. Just imagine, if Llorente had put some effort to be near the goal and managed to score the equalizer, all the media would be praising him by now.
It is ridiculous to blame Llorente while at the same time absolving the player closest to the rebound, namely Lamela, of any blame? Personally I don’t think it is either player’s fault but you are just showing some strange Lamela bias in that account.

We were losing when they came on. They could have influenced the game but it didn't happen. It's like they are getting the blame for not scoring.

Could have done better but it wasn't for a lack of effort ... did you see what juventus did defensively last night? I don't think even Ronaldo or Messi would have been odds on to get a goal in the last 10 mins.

Had kane scored I genuinely would like to think that we would have had a massive up swing and probably won the game.

I think Llorente is more at fault here. Lamela was probably expecting the ball to be saved by the goalie and get deflected to him. Instead, the ball hit the post and went backwards towards the goal line. This is where Llorente should have been to tap the ball in. Despite all his failures, we still brought him on in a crucial CL match to find the much needed goal but he was just ball-watching in this occasion. Just imagine, if Llorente had put some effort to be near the goal and managed to score the equalizer, all the media would be praising him by now.

What the fudge... you may as well blame Hugo for not going up for it

Llorente was the man nearest Kane trying to win the header

Disagree, he paused as he anticipated the ball hitting the post and coming out to where he was. In those situations you don't want to get too close and overrun where the ball bounces.
So unlucky.
Reminds me of that England game, think it was vs West Germany in the World Cup Semi Final in 1990, when the ball rolled slowly across the goal and Gazza hesitated because he thought the keeper was going to get a small touch, but he didn't... and that hundredth of a second meant Gazza couldn't quite reach the ball to tap into the empty net.

Lamela doesn’t really anticipate much at all

He waits first and makes his moves IMO

It is ridiculous to blame Llorente while at the same time absolving the player closest to the rebound, namely Lamela, of any blame? Personally I don’t think it is either player’s fault but you are just showing some strange Lamela bias in that account.

Not sure what you mean about bias when there are a lot of anti-Lamela posts here. The fact is, Llorente is the striker, not Lamela. And why didn't the others like Son not trying to score in this occasion ? Goal scoring is not one of Lamela's strengths at Spurs as he is known more for his work rate, creativity, tenacity and defensive duties. Blame it on Spurs jinx for always turning regular goal scorers like Dembele, Lamela and Llorente into non-goal scorers. As a result, we are left with only 4 goal scorers in Kane, Alli, Son and Eriksen. Of our goal scorers, Kane has not been at his best recently, Son only scores great goals, Alli has not scored in 15 matches and Eriksen only scores once in a blue moon.

Not sure what you mean about bias when there are a lot of anti-Lamela posts here. The fact is, Llorente is the striker, not Lamela. And why didn't the others like Son not trying to score in this occasion ? Goal scoring is not one of Lamela's strengths at Spurs as he is known more for his work rate, creativity, tenacity and defensive duties. Blame it on Spurs jinx for always turning regular goal scorers like Dembele, Lamela and Llorente into non-goal scorers. As a result, we are left with only 4 goal scorers in Kane, Alli, Son and Eriksen. Of our goal scorers, Kane has not been at his best recently, Son only scores great goals, Alli has not scored in 15 matches and Eriksen only scores once in a blue moon.
I agree with the other poster who said Lloris should have been up there to try and score. But add that so should Verts and Sanchez. And Kane has only failed to score in the past two games (he did hit that pass for Son which you probably think was mis-hit) and he scored the 88th minute winner against Palace.

How long are those straws your clutching at

Dembele hasn’t been a regular scorer in years

Llorente has his best season last year as first choice at Swansea... and then scored in pairs

Lamela has one great goal scoring season at Roma... and hasn’t looked the same player

Those 4 scorers average about 60 goals a season or more don’t they???

How long are those straws your clutching at

Dembele hasn’t been a regular scorer in years

Llorente has his best season last year as first choice at Swansea... and then scored in pairs

Lamela has one great goal scoring season at Roma... and hasn’t looked the same player

Those 4 scorers average about 60 goals a season or more don’t they???

You have to give credit where it's due, to find time to write these posts so recently after becoming a grandmother takes real dedication from Eric's mum.

You have to give credit where it's due, to find time to write these posts so recently after becoming a grandmother takes real dedication from Eric's mum.

True... bouncing the baby and writing the message

To be fair I have spent many hours trying to get my youngest to sleep and looking at chat o here

Kane has not been at his best recently? You mean for all of two whole games when despite not scoring he's laid on a brilliant assist in one and struck the woodwork in the other, only to see the ball run back along the goal line before being cleared.

And as for Son only scoring great goals, how do we put up with it, totally unacceptable, get rid.

Kane has not been at his best recently? You mean for all of two whole games when despite not scoring he's laid on a brilliant assist in one and struck the woodwork in the other, only to see the ball run back along the goal line before being cleared.

And as for Son only scoring great goals, how do we put up with it, totally unacceptable, get rid.

We can't expect Kane to score all the time but he has been wasting too many chances in recent matches. He scores less with his feet recently as 5 of his last 7 goals have been headers and penalties. He had 6 chances against Juventus over 2 legs but only scored 1. We would be in the CL Quarter Finals now if Kane had scored 2 of those.

The problem with Son is that he scores great goals but misses easy chances. If there are 3 or 4 defenders in front of him, Son would always curls the ball into goal but if there is only the goalie he would always blast it high or wide.

We can't expect Kane to score all the time but he has been wasting too many chances in recent matches. He scores less with his feet recently as 5 of his last 7 goals have been headers and penalties. He had 6 chances against Juventus over 2 legs but only scored 1. We would be in the CL Quarter Finals now if Kane had scored 2 of those.

The problem with Son is that he scores great goals but misses easy chances. If there are 3 or 4 defenders in front of him, Son would always curls the ball into goal but if there is only the goalie he would always blast it high or wide.
@Spur of the moment You can't argue with this kind of incisive and expert analysis. It's clearly Kane's fault we aren't in the QF of the CL. And @Spurs7891 forgot to mention the simple header he missed in Turin too. A header so easy even Darren Bent would have put away.

We're actually poring over, in excruciating detail, a ten second (at best) distilled moment of the game. And we're trying to attribute this as the reason we didn't prevail in an 180 minute two-legged tie?

Some of you need to get a real strong grip on reality. The footage of the Kane headed chance is slowed down, Lamela is trying to anticipate where the ball may fall. He reacts far more quickly than you or I would, believe me he's trained for it.

Simple fact is the defenders were positioned closer for the spin and landing of the ball, as a result they were able to clear accordingly. End of story.

Let's not look for spacegoats.. We're out, it's life. I think what we really need to learn is to manage our concentration levels over two legs more stringently. Manage our fatigue and effort output more effectively.

Seriously though let's move on gracefully and come back and try again next year. If we don't happen to learn, maybe then we can bitch and whine.

I've mentioned Lamela's "miss" a couple of times, but not in the context of blame or scape-goating, just wishing it had been different. Of course it's not Lamela's fault that we lost, it would be ridiculous to think that.

It's just that it happened so, so close to the end of the game, it was our last chance, a chance that was there for a millisecond, and then gone. It sticks in my mind as the biggest "If Only" moment simply because of the timing and what it would have meant. In my mind's eye I envisage Lamela in a forward motion towards that ball and somehow bundling it over the line. A split second before, there was another huge "if only" moment, with Kane's header coming off the post. And other ones before that. So (for me) it's not blaming Lamela at all, it's simply that I can't get that wishful thinking image out of my head.

We're actually poring over, in excruciating detail, a ten second (at best) distilled moment of the game. And we're trying to attribute this as the reason we didn't prevail in an 180 minute two-legged tie?

Some of you need to get a real strong grip on reality. The footage of the Kane headed chance is slowed down, Lamela is trying to anticipate where the ball may fall. He reacts far more quickly than you or I would, believe me he's trained for it.

Simple fact is the defenders were positioned closer for the spin and landing of the ball, as a result they were able to clear accordingly. End of story.

Let's not look for spacegoats.. We're out, it's life. I think what we really need to learn is to manage our concentration levels over two legs more stringently. Manage our fatigue and effort output more effectively.

Seriously though let's move on gracefully and come back and try again next year. If we don't happen to learn, maybe then we can bitch and whine.
Bang on!

The other point that's mainly overlooked in all of this is that replay cameras clearly showed Kane was a yard offside when the ball was crossed to him. That for me completely wipes out all the other speculation surrounding the incident.

Wouldn't even bother mate, Lamela can literally do NO WRONG in his eyes.

Also agree that NO ONE is to blame but Lamela is the closest person so to shift the blame to Llorente is beyond warped.

Back