• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gotze???

That's a joke he's easily an elite goal keeper. In the top 5 in the world.

Depends what your definition of "world class" is. Where do you stop - top 5? Top 10?

Buffon and Neuer are miles ahead of him imo. I don't think Lloris is either btw - this isn't some Spurs-bias.

Augero I would definitely agree is a world class striker - absolutely top drawer.
I wouldn't exactly call Kompany world class. Another one who is very good at the top of his game but can be caught woefully out of position and has some clear faults.

Kane isn't world class but talking him down and some of the other examples up is a joke imo.

Kane is not world class!

In the EPL there are but a few truly "World Class players" arguably one or two De Gae and Aguaro.

when fit Kompany?

I guess the term "world class" is kind of arbitrary, really, but what, in your view, would constitute a "world class" player? I'd argue that Lloris is amongst the best goalkeepers in the world, for instance, and seeing as Harry Kane is the top scorer in one of the best leagues in the world (and has been for the past two seasons), I'd argue he could be labelled world class as well (although he didn't play well in the Euros). Or is "world class" some sort of otherworldly characteristic that only applies to the Messis and the Ronaldos of this world?

Not trying to sound like a dingdong, by the way, just bored and want to hear your reasoning behind labelling someone "world class". :)

edit - tyneside beat me to it by a few seconds! ;)

The phrase " world class" is thrown around far to easily by some fans, Kane is very good but not world class, to name strikers who are Augero is and Kane is nowhere near as good as he is.

I have heard some call Lloris " world class" but say De Gea is not, it sounds to me that is Spurs bias.

Jesus to label Kane as world class is ridiculous,I'm hoping this discussion is only being had on a Spurs forums and not at work or with friends with fans of other teams - would be laughed at!

That being said there is no real definitive term of world class,hence why this debate always resurfaces.....

I guess the term "world class" is kind of arbitrary, really, but what, in your view, would constitute a "world class" player? I'd argue that Lloris is amongst the best goalkeepers in the world, for instance, and seeing as Harry Kane is the top scorer in one of the best leagues in the world (and has been for the past two seasons), I'd argue he could be labelled world class as well (although he didn't play well in the Euros). Or is "world class" some sort of otherworldly characteristic that only applies to the Messis and the Ronaldos of this world?

Not trying to sound like a dingdong, by the way, just bored and want to hear your reasoning behind labelling someone "world class". :)

edit - tyneside beat me to it by a few seconds! ;)

Mainly excelling over a period of time like Buffon......De Gea is still very young but I just think he has the full set of attributes similar to the "world class" Gianluigi. :cool:

In the EPL very few but up for a 'nomination' would be (and you won't like this) Ozil and now Ramsey. Also Hugo but I can't think of many others (but you have go).

Depends what your definition of world class is...

I define as world class, a player who the top 5 or so teams in the world would want to sign, if available. I would say Kane fits that category.
That definition I can't agree with. Which of the top 5 sides would want to sign him considering he'd cost close to 100m I think it would be fair to say and arguably in majority of top 5 clubs be on the Bench a lot of the time? He wouldn't be a shoe in starter for any of the top 5 which in itself tells you he's not world class....

Why are we having the WC debate again? it seems like i've read it about 500 times on this site with the exact same arguments

Let's talk about Gotze though- I'll be over the moon if we can pull this off. Only 24, undoubtly has amazing skill and has something to prove to the world now.

Think he would do well with us. Poch would smarten him up, and unleash his potential. As said, just hope its not as a replacement for Eriksen.

Unlikely, but you never know.

Not the first time we have been linked.

There is a hint of realism to the rumour too. Bayern need to sell him as he's not going to sign a new contract and could leave for free next summer. His price will be within our range and it may mean we can offer some sort of signing on bonus to cover his wages.

So far as suitability goes, he would likely excel in any of the three position's off of the striker. Remember guys, we have the Champions League this year, we can't get though the group stages with a mixture of experience and second string players, we need players that are good enough to replace our first XI. Eriksen will need time off every now and then, so we shouldn't panic about who Gotze would replace.

Jesus to label Kane as world class is ridiculous,I'm hoping this discussion is only being had on a Spurs forums and not at work or with friends with fans of other teams - would be laughed at!

That being said there is no real definitive term of world class,hence why this debate always resurfaces.....

Kane has produced some world class finishes however. Some of his goals last season were outstanding. Goals that say Aguero wouldn't have scored. For example, some from acute angles etc.

Well if we want quality depth in the squad Götze would work awesome as Eriksen/Alli rotation, the same as Wanyama will rotate with Dier. I sure as hell would be excited by this transfer. But wouldn't L'pool with Klopp be interested and at the same time be ahead of us?

And for the parallell debate on the side: De Gea > Lloris and Aguero > Kane.

i suppose it depends on what the fee would be, but for a attacking M/F player who can also play on the flanks he would be a very good buy.

Well, as others have pointed out, he's now in the last year of his contract, so he wouldn't be that expensive given that Bayern have already given strong indications that they would like to let him go. The bigger question is regarding his wages - the guesswork on how much he's paid has varied wildly over the years, but the lowest estimates put at about a 100k per week (pounds), and the highest at about 200k. If it's at the lower end of that scale, the signing becomes feasible - we've allegedly just verbally agreed a new 100k a week contract with Harry, so we're clearly trying to lock down our stars to relatively high-paying contracts that could allow for some wiggle room in terms of getting a marquee player in for, say, 125k a week (potentially) without causing a rush of agents asking for pay increases for their clients (given that said contract would only be about 25k more than what we pay Kane, and given that a lot of those clients are already being offered improved terms).

Also, playing him on the wings doesn't seem to have worked for Bayern - he impressed sporadically, as far as I can tell (and in some crunch games, too - against Dortmund, for example), but he's apparently lost a yard of pace after a couple of injuries a while back, and is at his best in the center, conducting things. He couldn't play there often at Bayern because Muller was undroppable.

Well, as others have pointed out, he's now in the last year of his contract, so he wouldn't be that expensive given that Bayern have already given strong indications that they would like to let him go. The bigger question is regarding his wages - the guesswork on how much he's paid has varied wildly over the years, but the lowest estimates put at about a 100k per week (pounds), and the highest at about 200k. If it's at the lower end of that scale, the signing becomes feasible - we've allegedly just verbally agreed a new 100k a week contract with Harry, so we're clearly trying to lock down our stars to relatively high-paying contracts that could allow for some wiggle room in terms of getting a marquee player in for, say, 125k a week (potentially) without causing a rush of agents asking for pay increases for their clients (given that said contract would only be about 25k more than what we pay Kane, and given that a lot of those clients are already being offered improved terms).

Also, playing him on the wings doesn't seem to have worked for Bayern - he impressed sporadically, as far as I can tell (and in some crunch games, too - against Dortmund, for example), but he's apparently lost a yard of pace after a couple of injuries a while back, and is at his best in the center, conducting things. He couldn't play there often at Bayern because Muller was undroppable.

Do Bayern play inverted wingers tho?

There does appear to be some legs in this - we enquiry for wijnaldrum, get told the obsurd price, withdraw interest, wijnaldrum posts angry face on Twitter, and we realise that if wijnaldrum is 25m why not get an upgrade for the same price, enter Gotze...

Or does it not quite work like that !?

Back