• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gorgeous-Kévin Nkoudou

Who?

Anyway, theoretically, going by what's been said about him here and elsewhere over the last day, his attributes fit what we're looking for in that AM band (has to be extremely good with the ball at his feet, possess great close control, etcetera)....but seriously, who?

And, if we do sign him, what does this mean for N'Jie, another very similar black-box signing from Ligue Un? If he leaves, then said black box can hardly be called a universal success.

A few comments here, specific to Son, N'jie & "black box"

- I'm not worried about either due to it being clearly obvious some players take a long time to adjust to Poch, so second season is really judgement point.
- Even if we sell both Son & N'Jie, it does not question value of the model. no system is expected to have 100% success rate, if it does 10-20% better than no system, its a success.

I would not be surprised if we have a bit of a revolving door around supporting players, buy young/promising in the 10-22M range (new 5-12M), give them an opportunity to force their way into first team, leverage them for rotation, if it doesn't work out, sell on for small profit/flat/small loss.

Key to our success as I see it is

- Having core group/spine of key players
- Having established system/style of play that allows us to better buy suitable players and those players to have better chance of success.
- Buying right age/stage of careers that allow us to limit risk and maximize upside.

We can't out spend Cheat$ki/Manure/City, especially with their return to idiot spending ..
Here's an interesting thought, if Manure buys Pogba at the rumoured 100M, he would have cost the same as 15-17 Deli Alli's .. we should not compete with that.

Back to this guy, young, quick, winger, takes people on = squad option with upside potential, for the money quoted, why not.

We've had some misses with the "who?" type signings, but we've had some good ones too. Dier and Alli weren't household names before we bought them, even if some of you knew them to be highly rated youngsters. Trippier wasn't a glamour signing, but he's done a good job as backup to Walker. Wimmer was excellent last season, he was fairly under the radar.

Who?

Anyway, theoretically, going by what's been said about him here and elsewhere over the last day, his attributes fit what we're looking for in that AM band (has to be extremely good with the ball at his feet, possess great close control, etcetera)....but seriously, who?

And, if we do sign him, what does this mean for N'Jie, another very similar black-box signing from Ligue Un? If he leaves, then said black box can hardly be called a universal success.

If that is the benchmark you are setting, it is no wonder that you are permanently disappointed.

the black box will never predict how a player performs in training, his mental strength, attitude, ability to fully grasp and implement what Poch wants. So any potential purchase may tick a lot of boxes in advance of making a bid and eventually buying, but all that is useless if the player doesn't impress Poch in training and matches.

Not all signings can be a success, it's impossible. A 50/50 ratio would be quite an achievement imo and as long as we offload the unsuccessful ones quickly and without losing too much money then even better.

If that is the benchmark you are setting, it is no wonder that you are permanently disappointed.

There's little point to responding, since you seem to have taken it on yourself to willfully misinterpret whatever I say, but here goes - if someone says that something isn't a universal success, that is not setting a benchmark for what he expects for that thing. It's pointing out a fact, which nevertheless seems to sometimes be forgotten by the more enthusiastic among us.

If I recall correctly, you were someone I talked to a while ago about the success rate of big signings versus cheap ones - my contention was that the biggest transfers of all time (as measured by a relatively arbitrary list on Wiki) had a 66-33 success rate on average, and thus proved at least to some extent that spending big is more of a guarantor of success than not doing so, even though it is by no means foolproof.

I've made no secret of my preference for us to compete at the top end of the table wherever possible in that regard, if those are the manager's primary choices. And yet, I've accepted that such a thing has a 1 in 3 chance of failing. So from where does it occur to you, in your strange, zealous rush to label me whatever comes into your head, that I expect universal success from the black box, a far less expensive proposition? And that I am 'permanently disappointed' by what goes on?

Just had a read through a Marseille forum and also spoke to a Marseille fan I work with. Consensus seems to be he's very fast and has some potential, but has only really had a good couple of months in his entire career. His decision making is very poor and his technical ability at dribbling and crossing is nothing special at all. They all seem more than happy to cash in for the figures quoted.

I'm desperate for us to get a top class winger in but the above does worry me. Especially as he seems to play on the left, whereas we should be looking to upgrade Lamela before Eriksen in the starting XI.

To be fair he looks very direct compared to the more technical eriksen and Lamela...It might serve us well to have this kind of direct explosiveness coming off the bench. I am happy we are improving the depth of our squad..Perhaps a little dissatisfied that we wont sign someone who gets us all excited..Someone we know would go bang into the first 11 and most certainly improve us.

Just had a read through a Marseille forum and also spoke to a Marseille fan I work with. Consensus seems to be he's very fast and has some potential, but has only really had a good couple of months in his entire career. His decision making is very poor and his technical ability at dribbling and crossing is nothing special at all. They all seem more than happy to cash in for the figures quoted.

Most or less exactly the same as Njie then! We need to add another attacking option though so if Poch things he's got something then that's good enough for me

I'm desperate for us to get a top class winger in but the above does worry me. Especially as he seems to play on the left, whereas we should be looking to upgrade Lamela before Eriksen in the starting XI.

I domt think we're looking to upgrade either Eriksen or Lamela - we're looking to upgrade their deputies

Last edited:
All signings are a risk ( no matter if they are big or small), i think the talk about black boxes is overstated some times but blaming the black box is stupid because managers make bad signings no matter what basis they work from. Its what happens, always has and always will.

Andre Ville-envoyer?

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, is it?

He is not a top class winger but a rough diamond in the making,This is where we are ,we can't afford players from the top table.Cheap enough for us to gamble.Maybe the next Mahrez maybe not.

I thought he looked more confident and stronger than Njie. Agree he doesn't appear much of an upgrade, but obviously he has something they like. Serious potential probably. Speed and tenacity. I think the goons were linked previously.

Sitting on my porcelain throne using glory-glory.co.uk mobile app

Last edited:
Back