• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Glasgow Rangers

Any counter argumments to back your claim Celtic are just as bad? Or just a dislike of them?

Didn't say that Celtic were just as bad.

Mainly, I just find their fans unbearable. I'm not even talking about the bigots and IRA supporters among their number. I'm talking more about the poisonous mix of paranoia, victim mentality, arrogance and self satisfaction that is so prevalent. As evident in this thread, they are forever trying to convince everyone that everything about their club is nigh on perfect and that everything about Rangers is pure evil; they are the best fans in the world; they would be the biggest club in the world if they weren't in Scotland; all of them are kind to grannies and kittens, while Rangers fans beat grannies and eat kittens blah, blah.... So repetitive. So predictable. So tedious.

Arrogance and self satisfaction, no, can't agree. Paranoia and victim mentality, perhaps so. However, facts are Celtic for most of its existence was the largest cultural outlet for a community of people on the receiving end of institutional fundamentalist hatred, so there is the context. The fact that there was never traditionally any friendly media outlet meant that the grassroots themselves banging on about the true state of things was the only way that argument was ever expounded. Also most are politically very Left. Some obviously found/find that insufferable and repetitive, that's ok.

The fact that what was and is being said seems to have been mostly true all along, should not be lost. In a footballing and cultural sense Scottish society is now asking pertinent and welcome questions about its "secret shame" as secularism and reason gain traction, and medieval notions of religious or racial supremacism seem ever more ridiculous.

Jim, always found you to be quite analytical on here and, previously, on SSC, so am somewhat surprised at the outputting of the party line on this, not quite "ones as bad as the other" but pretty close. If you feel anything I have "evidenced on this thread" is a total falsehood, I am happy to be corrected...(though I admit I have laid it on heavy!)

I will end with this thought this morning. Rather than give substance to to what HMRC are clearly now pushing for in the grand scheme of things (ie: football cheats are going to be hammered) there still remains a clique that are refusing to lay bare the machinations of this case, so as to save face, peddling a line of pity and bewilderment as they are.

This is a poorly judged reaction inasmuchas it undermines the thrust of what HMRC, and indeed FFP, are embarking upon.It will give succour to any new Ken Bates, Peter Risdales, Irving Scholars(!), David Murrays and Craig Whytes when HMRC come calling soon in England. A slash and burn policy will not work if you come and douse the flames as soon as the fire is lit.

This clique papering over the cracks today are usually the self same people who you will find pillorying single mothers, "benefit scroungers" and "johnny foreigner" etc etc and calling loudest and proudest about army equipment, help for heroes and similar. The fact that up to ?ú84m has been stolen from the public should now be drawing their full ire, you would think.

How horribly ironic that a club and subculture that aligned itself so closely with the military, and from whom you could often hear the term "white power" have been taking from the pockets of soldiers all along and whose "powers" are being given away by a man named "Whyte".

I'll repeat it again. Look past the PR and talking heads trotted out in the media and towards the fan forums of clubs across the spectrum in Scotland and there is a surprisingly strong appetite to do the seemingly unthinkable and go ahead and force open the window of opportunity that would exist without Rangers, or at least a powerful Rangers.

I realise many here would not have an appetite for the goldfish bowl nature of this debate (I hope Jermaine Jenas isn't on GG!) so apologies to any who this might annoy.. However I would dearly like to see slithering room on these issues removed, for past, current and future cheats and cronies. :-#

Arrogance and self satisfaction, no, can't agree. Paranoia and victim mentality, perhaps so. However, facts are Celtic for most of its existence was the largest cultural outlet for a community of people on the receiving end of institutional fundamentalist hatred, so there is the context. The fact that there was never traditionally any friendly media outlet meant that the grassroots themselves banging on about the true state of things was the only way that argument was ever expounded. Also most are politically very Left. Some obviously found/find that insufferable and repetitive, that's ok.

The fact that what was and is being said seems to have been mostly true all along, should not be lost. In a footballing and cultural sense Scottish society is now asking pertinent and welcome questions about its "secret shame" as secularism and reason gain traction, and medieval notions of religious or racial supremacism seem ever more ridiculous.

Jim, always found you to be quite analytical on here and, previously, on SSC, so am somewhat surprised at the outputting of the party line on this, not quite "ones as bad as the other" but pretty close. If you feel anything I have "evidenced on this thread" is a total falsehood, I am happy to be corrected...(though I admit I have laid it on heavy!)

I will end with this thought this morning. Rather than give substance to to what HMRC are clearly now pushing for in the grand scheme of things (ie: football cheats are going to be hammered) there still remains a clique that are refusing to lay bare the machinations of this case, so as to save face, peddling a line of pity and bewilderment as they are.

This is a poorly judged reaction inasmuchas it undermines the thrust of what HMRC, and indeed FFP, are embarking upon.It will give succour to any new Ken Bates, Peter Risdales, Irving Scholars(!), David Murrays and Craig Whytes when HMRC come calling soon in England. A slash and burn policy will not work if you come and douse the flames as soon as the fire is lit.

This clique papering over the cracks today are usually the self same people who you will find pillorying single mothers, "benefit scroungers" and "johnny foreigner" etc etc and calling loudest and proudest about army equipment, help for heroes and similar. The fact that up to ?ú84m has been stolen from the public should now be drawing their full ire, you would think.

How horribly ironic that a club and subculture that aligned itself so closely with the military, and from whom you could often hear the term "white power" have been taking from the pockets of soldiers all along and whose "powers" are being given away by a man named "Whyte".

I'll repeat it again. Look past the PR and talking heads trotted out in the media and towards the fan forums of clubs across the spectrum in Scotland and there is a surprisingly strong appetite to do the seemingly unthinkable and go ahead and force open the window of opportunity that would exist without Rangers, or at least a powerful Rangers.

I realise many here would not have an appetite for the goldfish bowl nature of this debate (I hope Jermaine Jenas isn't on GG!) so apologies to any who this might annoy.. However I would dearly like to see slithering room on these issues removed, for past, current and future cheats and cronies. :-#

Mate, I lived in Scotland for three years. I met more than enough Celtic fans in that time to form a valid opinion of them.

And since the advent of the internet, I've noticed more of the same.

As I said, the overwhelming impression I've been given is of fans who are arrogant, self satisfied, paranoid and with something of Liverpool's victim mentality. Maybe that isn't your experience of Celtic fans. But it is mine, I can assure you.

I've lost count of the number of times that I've had Celtic fans droning on about how much bigger a club they are than Spurs and that, if only they played in England they would clean up every year. I've also lost count of the amount of times that I've been forced to listen to how Celtic fans are the best in the world.

It seems to me that they have an unhealthy need to be praised and cannot brook any argument which counters theirs. And it's not enough that outsiders must admire Celtic. They must also loathe and demonise Rangers. They lecture about the evils of all things blue-nosed and the good of all things hooped with a fervent, almost missionary, zeal.

I simply can't abide it. Sorry!

Mate, I lived in Scotland for three years. I met more than enough Celtic fans in that time to form a valid opinion of them.

And since the advent of the internet, I've noticed more of the same.

As I said, the overwhelming impression I've been given is of fans who are arrogant, self satisfied, paranoid and with something of Liverpool's victim mentality. Maybe that isn't your experience of Celtic fans. But it is mine, I can assure you.

I've lost count of the number of times that I've had Celtic fans droning on about how much bigger a club they are than Spurs and that, if only they played in England they would clean up every year. I've also lost count of the amount of times that I've been forced to listen to how Celtic fans are the best in the world.

It seems to me that they have an unhealthy need to be praised and cannot brook any argument which counters theirs. And it's not enough that outsiders must admire Celtic. They must also loathe and demonise Rangers. They lecture about the evils of all things blue-nosed and the good of all things hooped with a fervent, almost missionary, zeal.

I simply can't abide it. Sorry!

So basically your dislike of them wants you to see them go bust, for the "good of Scottish football". Despite the fact they have run the club within their means, unlike Rangers, who basically did a Leeds. I dont see how Celtic deserve the same at all to be honest.

Spot on, well said.

So basically your dislike of them wants you to see them go bust, for the "good of Scottish football". Despite the fact they have run the club within their means, unlike Rangers, who basically did a Leeds. I dont see how Celtic deserve the same at all to be honest.

It's not a question of what Celtic deserve or how well or badly they are run. You're taking the comments about wishing the Old Firm out of existence far too seriously and literally, fella.

I dunno......perhaps because you just want to be contrary?

It's not a question of what Celtic deserve or how well or badly they are run. You're taking the comments about wishing the Old Firm out of existence far too seriously and literally, fella.

I dunno......perhaps because you just want to be contrary?

No because I dont understand why anyone would wish a team out of existance because their rivals cheated their finances. Why not just wish the team that deserves it out of existance, and the Old Firm is no longer?

Contrary? No, Im just trying to find out, logically, why you like to see Celtic go bust.

As for taking it too literally, excuse me for reading what you wrote. Next time you "dont mean" something, its better not to say it, rather than make a dig at someone for responding to it.

No because I dont understand why anyone would wish a team out of existance because their rivals cheated their finances. Why not just wish the team that deserves it out of existance, and the Old Firm is no longer?

Contrary? No, Im just trying to find out, logically, why you like to see Celtic go bust.

"Logically"?

Why should logic play a part? This is football. Not philosophy.

I dare say that a majority of Spurs fans would happily see Arsenal go out of business despite the fact that, on the whole, they too are a well run club.

Didn't say that Celtic were just as bad.

Mainly, I just find their fans unbearable. I'm not even talking about the bigots and IRA supporters among their number. I'm talking more about the poisonous mix of paranoia, victim mentality, arrogance and self satisfaction that is so prevalent. As evident in this thread, they are forever trying to convince everyone that everything about their club is nigh on perfect and that everything about Rangers is pure evil; they are the best fans in the world; they would be the biggest club in the world if they weren't in Scotland; all of them are kind to grannies and kittens, while Rangers fans beat grannies and eat kittens blah, blah.... So repetitive. So predictable. So tedious.

Substitute the first 'Celtic' with Rangers and then the next two 'Rangers' with the word 'Celtic'...what you've written could just as easily apply to Rangers fans. Fact!

Substitute the word 'Rangers' with the word 'Celtic'...what you've written could just as easily apply to Rangers fans. Fact!

True to an extent. In fact, Rangers fans are far worse in many other respects but, in my experience, not half as bad in terms of the characteristic faults of Celtic fans.

Last edited:
"Logically"?

Why should logic play a part? This is football. Not philosophy.

I dare say that a majority of Spurs fans would happily see Arsenal go out of business despite the fact that, on the whole, they too are a well run club.

I wouldnt like too see arsenal go bust, unless they deserve it. Id laugh if they got relegated....but cease to exist, based on the fact we are rivals? Whats the point?

Thats what I mean by logic.

Last edited:
Rangers live news conference at quarter to four, should be an interesting watch..

Administrators are going to explain the direction in which they are going to go.

I wouldnt like too see arsenal go bust, unless they deserve it. Id laugh if they got relegated....but cease to exist, based on the fact we are rivals? Whats the point?

For the record, i'd laugh so hard if the scum went bankrupt, i'm sure many of their fans would say the same about us. Football is very emotive and can be very ironic; just like life. Logic has very little to do with it, can be very counter intuitive in fact.

For the record, i'd laugh so hard if the scum went bankrupt, i'm sure many of their fans would say the same about us. Football is very emotive and can be very ironic; just like life. Logic has very little to do with it, can be very counter intuitive in fact.

I would laugh extremely hard for a few weeks if they went bankrupt.

I would laugh for a very very long time if they got relegated.

I'd prefer the second option.

blah blah blah news conference blah blah we need to make money blah blah we might get rid of some people blah blah blah we can't say anything definite so this entire news conference is an utter waste of time.. blah blah blah..

I love this whole situation, not just because Rangers are cnuts, but because of the comments of "Rangers deducted 10 points and still 2nd? What an uncompetitive league" when if we were deducted 10 points we would stay in 3rd :D

I hate the scots, i just hate them. If that is racist i guess i have to be banned but i hate them and i hope they vote to leave the UK because then news stories like this will not come on our news.

Why do i have to hear on the pools news what some crap hole team in the scots 4 division made up of deep fried mars bar eating benefit scum are doing. clams the lot of them.

To say logic has no place in football (not you) is a little silly imo.

Im talking about arsenal going out of existance. For me, thats the two matches a season, that absolutely epitomise my emotion to the game, gone.

And besides, I was referring to someone who wants to see the back of Celtic, for no other reason than their rivalry with Rangers. Logic plays a part for me in that, in this case, the reasoning is just absurd.

I'd like to see the ground burn down personally.

Back