• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Giovani Lo Celso

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...-amid-row-releasing-South-American-stars.html

You wouldn't make this up if you tried!! Is it possible people in football are so stupid???

A somewhat misleading headline (unsurprisingly). More of an admin issue overall by the sounds of it. There must have been an understanding that they did not need to quarantine on arrival, despite having been in the UK in the preceding 14 days, otherwise they wouldn't have been there at all. The thing that does surprise me is the implication that footballers on international duty would be completing their own immigration paperwork. I'd have expected it all to be done for them, with the player just adding a signature if needed.
But yes, whoever completed the paperwork, omitting that they had been in the UK was a stupid thing to do.

A somewhat misleading headline (unsurprisingly). More of an admin issue overall by the sounds of it. There must have been an understanding that they did not need to quarantine on arrival, despite having been in the UK in the preceding 14 days, otherwise they wouldn't have been there at all. The thing that does surprise me is the implication that footballers on international duty would be completing their own immigration paperwork. I'd have expected it all to be done for them, with the player just adding a signature if needed.
But yes, whoever completed the paperwork, omitting that they had been in the UK was a stupid thing to do.

None of this brick makes sense

1. You are right, these fudging guys aren't filling out their own paperwork
2. The Argentine FA must have done planning with where players are coming from, requirements and discussed with Brazilian FA/authorities. This isn't someone fudging deciding to go on a last minute holiday

total flimflam all round ..

None of this brick makes sense

1. You are right, these fudging guys aren't filling out their own paperwork
2. The Argentine FA must have done planning with where players are coming from, requirements and discussed with Brazilian FA/authorities. This isn't someone fudging deciding to go on a last minute holiday

total flimflam all round ..

Argentina knew the players would be fined at worse for "the players" all filling in the forms wrong.

What they didn't expect is the Brazil FA to be tinkled that none of their Premier League players are here but Argentina have theirs.

Ultimately LoCelso etc will be playing in the game today. They'll pay their fine.

Brazil will go to FIFA and demand Allison, Raphinha etc are suspended for their clubs.

This sounds like massive brickhousery by the Brazillian FA.
Either way I don't go along with the line that we should respect the players wish to play for their country, under normal circumstances maybe but defying the club that pays their wages is a massive tinkletake for me and particularly Romero, way to get off on the right foot at your new club dingdonghead.

Argentina knew the players would be fined at worse for "the players" all filling in the forms wrong.

What they didn't expect is the Brazil FA to be tinkled that none of their Premier League players are here but Argentina have theirs.

Ultimately LoCelso etc will be playing in the game today. They'll pay their fine.

Brazil will go to FIFA and demand Allison, Raphinha etc are suspended for their clubs.

What can fifa ban them from? They are only in charge of two competitions the world cup and the world club cup. Doubt brazil will ask fifa to ban their players from the world cup.

This sounds like massive brickhousery by the Brazillian FA.
Either way I don't go along with the line that we should respect the players wish to play for their country, under normal circumstances maybe but defying the club that pays their wages is a massive tinkletake for me and particularly Romero, way to get off on the right foot at your new club dingdonghead.

That was my first thought, but giving it more time it seems harsh to blame the players imo.

They are probably under pressure from the national team to make themselves available, particularly as it's WC qualifying, and are pretty much in a no-win situation.

I see FIFA lobbied the UK government to allow for testing/shorter quarantine (actually sensible from FIFA!) but the government said no - considering they were happy to let in "VIPs" to the euros final without any quarantine at all, it seems strange they couldn't allow players to at least quarantine at training facilities etc.

That's where the illogical decision lies imo.

That was my first thought, but giving it more time it seems harsh to blame the players imo.

They are probably under pressure from the national team to make themselves available, particularly as it's WC qualifying, and are pretty much in a no-win situation.

I see FIFA lobbied the UK government to allow for testing/shorter quarantine (actually sensible from FIFA!) but the government said no - considering they were happy to let in "VIPs" to the euros final without any quarantine at all, it seems strange they couldn't allow players to at least quarantine at training facilities etc.

That's where the illogical decision lies imo.

Fifa could have moved the venue. Uefa did for the euros.

Fifa could have moved the venue. Uefa did for the euros.

CONMEBAL are running the qualifiers. Brazil etc made no application to CONMEBAL to move their games to Europe. Why would they? Half their squad are home based.

Instead the FAs and CONMEBAL appealed through FIFA that players would get an exemption. This was rejected by European governments.

Now the FAs going through the proper process to report the clubs for not releasing their players during the international window. FIFA will give them a 5 day ban most likely.

CONMEBAL are running the qualifiers. Brazil etc made no application to CONMEBAL to move their games to Europe. Why would they? Half their squad are home based.

Instead the FAs and CONMEBAL appealed through FIFA that players would get an exemption. This was rejected by European governments.

Now the FAs going through the proper process to report the clubs for not releasing their players during the international window. FIFA will give them a 5 day ban most likely.

And the premier league will ignore it. They told the players to stay.

Now fifa might want to take it further, then the clubs and premier league take fifa to court. Then we are in a situation like uefa are with the esl. Where their actions and rules are not actually legal. Clubs could demand proper compensation for releasing players for international games, who knows?

And the premier league will ignore it. They told the players to stay.

Now fifa might want to take it further, then the clubs and premier league take fifa to court. Then we are in a situation like uefa are with the esl. Where their actions and rules are not actually legal. Clubs could demand proper compensation for releasing players for international games, who knows?

How many players from the PL went to South American qualifiers?

A handful?

The PL will ignore any ban

Even if they did ban them and the PL followed through with it

who is in a worse position?

We lose the argies for 10 days it seems, they lose them for 5

Back