• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

Wasn't there quite a bit of writing about him getting more of the power in the transfer market at Liverpool?

There being a committee means it's not all his fault, doesn't mean it's not at least partly his fault.

im not sure about that. Think about it, he barely managed to keep his job this summer, his two assistants, one of whom was a long term friend, have been sacked. Rodgers is next in the firing line so there is no way they will allow him to spend 29 mill on a player majorly based on his say so.

Exactly! We're clearly getting rid of Kaboul (and likely Chiriches) this summer. We don't know the extent of Walker's injury yet, so even if Yedlin is ready to be a back-up in the right-back position, it makes a great deal of sense to bring in someone who can challenge Walker.

Consequently we have brought in a new CB and RB. And the transfer window has not even officially opened yet.

If people don't think a new CB and RB were a priority, then clearly they think it's fine to get rid of Chiriches and Kaboul (leaving Vertonghen, Dier and Fazio as our only senior CBs) without any replacement, while also expecting Dier to once again deputise in the RB position if Walker's injured. Madness. We can only thank our lucky stars the club doesn't share that view.

We clearly have several priorities this summer. It just so happens that our first two acquisitions are in defence (for an extremely good reason... the deal for Wimmer was clearly done several months ago; and Trippier's low release clause meant we needed to get in there before someone else snapped him up). That doesn't mean we're going to ignore the rest of the team for the entire summer. To repeat... the window hasn't even opened yet.
Why did the club sell a very decent right back in Kyle Naughton in January? Only to have to buy a new one a few months later who on the face of it doesn't seem to be better than what we had? As for buying centrebacks well we seem to get through an awful lot of defenders which could suggest that there is a problem beyond just the defence. With regard to the transfer window we do leave our business until late. Now I am a big fan of Levy but he must be aware that it really hamstrings his managers to not be able to get in players early and give them a full preseason. These are all legitimate questions as I see it.

im not sure about that. Think about it, he barely managed to keep his job this summer, his two assistants, one of whom was a long term friend, have been sacked. Rodgers is next in the firing line so there is no way they will allow him to spend 29 mill on a player majorly based on his say so.

I didn't mean now. Was talking about last summer when his stock was really high. Or even the summer before that after his two really successful signings of Coutinho and Sturridge. At least from what I remember my Liverpool supporting mates going on about it there was a bit of a power struggle and Rodgers got more decision making power in the transfer market. Of course they were claiming that all the failures were due to the committee and all the successes were thanks to Rodgers and now that he got more of the power his genius would really shine through.

Why did the club sell a very decent right back in Kyle Naughton in January? Only to have to buy a new one a few months later who on the face of it doesn't seem to be better than what we had? As for buying centrebacks well we seem to get through an awful lot of defenders which could suggest that there is a problem beyond just the defence. With regard to the transfer window we do leave our business until late. Now I am a big fan of Levy but he must be aware that it really hamstrings his managers to not be able to get in players early and give them a full preseason. These are all legitimate questions as I see it.

Both Naughton and Tripper are at least "decent full backs". Trippier seems much more suited to our style of play though, and offers a different option to Walker.

If Wimmer will be better than Kaboul or Chiriches is obviously yet to be seen. Seems massively premature to be unhappy about it now though. Vertonghen, Fazio and Dier have all been somewhere between decent and good signings depending on how you see it. Let's at least give Wimmer the chance to show up at his first training before judging him.

I didn't mean now. Was talking about last summer when his stock was really high. Or even the summer before that after his two really successful signings of Coutinho and Sturridge. At least from what I remember my Liverpool supporting mates going on about it there was a bit of a power struggle and Rodgers got more decision making power in the transfer market. Of course they were claiming that all the failures were due to the committee and all the successes were thanks to Rodgers and now that he got more of the power his genius would really shine through.

i think he had the power at the beginning, for the first season. The committee around him was formed the following summer iirc.

Both Naughton and Tripper are at least "decent full backs". Trippier seems much more suited to our style of play though, and offers a different option to Walker.

If Wimmer will be better than Kaboul or Chiriches is obviously yet to be seen. Seems massively premature to be unhappy about it now though. Vertonghen, Fazio and Dier have all been somewhere between decent and good signings depending on how you see it. Let's at least give Wimmer the chance to show up at his first training before judging him.
Not judged him at all brain, but I am nervous that we are not strengthening our areas of weakness. I understand it is early but I am frustrated that it takes so long to get these areas dealt with to strengthen the manager's hand.

Btw having watched Naughton come on in the early part of last season I thought he was very much suited to our style of play. He had a good eye for a pass and a decent crosser. Genuinely cannot see the point in getting rid of a player who we had invested in only to take a gamble on a player who is new to Poch.

Not judged him at all brain, but I am nervous that we are not strengthening our areas of weakness. I understand it is early but I am frustrated that it takes so long to get these areas dealt with to strengthen the manager's hand.

I don't think it's a case of not strengthening our areas of weakness. Just that, for whatever reason, players like Wimmer, Trippier and Alli have not been targeted by bigger clubs and thus could be completed by us.

If Liverpool hadn't been after Ings chances are we would have already signed our first striker this summer. But we're aiming high in the transfer market too and sometimes competing with clubs bigger than ourselves. This sometimes takes a bit of time is all.

Not even July yet...

4 New signings before the transfer window opens
Ali
Trippier
Wimmer
Pritchard (albeit we owned him already)

Im guessing 3 more on the way who will be a little older / expensive

CM (Pivot 2)
RWM (Front 3)(who can play upfront)
ST

Btw having watched Naughton come on in the early part of last season I thought he was very much suited to our style of play. He had a good eye for a pass and a decent crosser. Genuinely cannot see the point in getting rid of a player who we had invested in only to take a gamble on a player who is new to Poch.

I think you're misrepresenting the situation re Naughton slightly

1) He wanted first team football which is more likely at Swansea
2) let's not pretend that most of us would have wanted him to lay ahead of Walker. I agree that he was a better crosser and passer in many ways, but by most peoples opinions (including the coaches) Walker was the clear number 1 in that position

Also, if Yedlin was able to have come last summer instead of January, there were rumours that Naughton would have been let go earlier. I think to say the the club's policy in the defensive areas doesn't make sense is harsh to say the least.

Lallana will be once he settles down, an excellent signing as I am sure both ings and Milner will be.

Sure. But regardless of if they've been signed under previous management or not both clubs are in a situation where despite having plenty of players there's a shortage of quality in those positions. I don't think Rodgers can be blamed for trying to rectify the previous mistakes by signing new players. If those new players also fail he can surely be blamed though.

Indeed; and by Rodger's own transfer record as well as his seemingly random formations at times, decent money can be put on his signings failing again imo..

I think you're misrepresenting the situation re Naughton slightly

1) He wanted first team football which is more likely at Swansea
2) let's not pretend that most of us would have wanted him to lay ahead of Walker. I agree that he was a better crosser and passer in many ways, but by most peoples opinions (including the coaches) Walker was the clear number 1 in that position

Also, if Yedlin was able to have come last summer instead of January, there were rumours that Naughton would have been let go earlier. I think to say the the club's policy in the defensive areas doesn't make sense is harsh to say the least.
Then it is likely that Trippier will go the same way as Naughton.

Why? Especially when there are fears over Walker's injury issues? Plus Trippier is often thought of as likely BETTER than Walker..
I would have a fit Kyle walker over both Kyle naughton and Kieran Trippier. With his injury problems they have been long term. Surely those concerns would have predated the sale of naughton.

I would have a fit Kyle walker over both Kyle naughton and Kieran Trippier. With his injury problems they have been long term. Surely those concerns would have predated the sale of naughton.

Many non-Spurs fans wouldn't have Kyle Walker in a team in or around the top 4. You have to admit that his crossing and final ball is mostly poor and that is why i often struggle to defend him when speaking to fans of other sides in the higher end of the table. Many see Kieran Trippier as an upgrade on Walker already!
His injury problems seemed to subside from December; didn't he play just about every league game from then until Burnley away in April? The current one is likely a new set-back and one that couldn't be foreseen with any great accuracy. Naughton was sold in January, when Yedlin was brought in. Again, i can't see how you can blame the club for lack of foresight, poor planning etc in this case.

I think Walker will come back again this season, he was out for a very long time. Also judging by his comments when he came back he may have been guilty of overanalysing his game.

The biggest issue for me highlighted by the Man Utd game though was the lack of help given to him by our RM. Thats the thing that needs resolving most of all.

Lallana will be once he settles down, an excellent signing as I am sure both ings and Milner will be.

Even if he does "settle down", for that amount of money for a now 27 year old PL proven player it won't be an excellent signing. He will have to really step it up hugely to be an excellent signing.

A lot of people were making similar comments about players that so far have failed. All you can judge Rodgers on so far is what has actually happened so far...

Then it is likely that Trippier will go the same way as Naughton.

Possibly. If so replacing a squad player with a different squad player at a small profit is hardly some terrible bit of business. Happens quite regularly at bigger clubs than ours. With Walker-Peters as well as Yedlin as the promising youngsters bringing in a squad/backup option role seems perfectly fine and I don't get what your problem is with it.

That's if Trippier doesn't step it up. If players like Schneiderlin and Lallana could, why can't he?

Remember that Trippier got a decent 4 assists for a pretty terrible Burnley side this season in the PL. But in their promotion season in the Championship Trippier racked up 14 assists - a pretty outstanding number for a full back. A then 23 year old full back as it were, similar age to when Lallana was doing well in the Championship iirc.

Will be interesting to see how Trippier adjusts to the life higher up in the PL. He has the potential to be a real asset for us with great crossing from the full back position and fit in really well. His attitude, going by what Burnley fans are saying, seems spot on and he'll no doubt be motivated to show what he can do at a bigger club.

We have one of worst defences in league and IMO that's both individually and collectively as team . A signing like Morgan snderlein will have massive impact in shoring up goals conceded column , better than protection mason and bebtaleb offer anyway . I'm also all for putting in trippier and wimmer in right from start .. I'd even buy new top left back and another centre half as well before pre season returns , don't rate rose in slightest and if Emirates Marketing Project bid 15m + then I'd snap their hand off .. Davies has been very poor , shown nothing at all . For me new centre half , two centre midfielders of some calibre still needed before we even talk about goal scoring effective wide players to support Kane .. Striker issue will be last solved cos any top ,half decent strikers won't join us till all cl teams and bigger clubs have had first dibs . This Monaco lad sounds interesting mind

Defence is not just about the back 4. I believe our problem is actually the lack of a defence minded midfielder to close the space between the midfield and defence. That alongside our fullbacks bombing forward and our midfield failing to track back left our centrebacks exposed last season..

tickle my balls with a feather, I have said that our CM is wide open and I am glad others are starting to see it as well. I really hope Poch does as well or next season we will have the same problems.

Back