• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

I think Schneiderlin is a better player than Mason. I also think that if we were to sign Schneiderlin he would probably drop into the slightly deeper role and we could then move Bentaleb forward into Mason's role.

Doesn't Schneiderlin play ahead of Wanyama in the Southampton double pivot - more the Mason role?

What are the general thoughts on here about us being in for Mirallas? Would he be a better option than Chadli as our left sided attacking midfielder? Isn't he also a bit of a lazy, Prima Donna type who scores his fair share of eye catching goals but doesn't necessarily put the team first?

For me we're desperate for a bit of competition and quality in the squad in those attacking positions.

If we could add a total of 3 "AM" players. Mirallas or Rodriguez as the PL proven player that can make an immediate impact, Pritchard as the home grown youngster trying to emerge and someone from abroad with huge potential (Thauvin/whoever) we could sell Townend (for example) and have great competition, great immediate options along with a ton of potential for the future.

Mirallas would be a good option, but only for the right price.

Schneiderlin was the right signing before the emergence of Mason. Now they are too similar, in both style and quality, to warrant us paying £20m for MS.

If there's any swap deal with Southampton, I can see it being Rodriguez and Dembele both linking up with their former managers.

Schneiderlin is still one I would like to see us push the boat out for. Could come in and immediately make us stronger, give us options and competition in that any 2 out of Bentaleb, Schneiderlin and Mason should work well, whilst still having plenty of potential for the future. I think he's the perfect mix between experience in the PL and youth. He knows Poch and his system, Poch would know exactly what he got. Every reason to think he could hit the ground running and make us stronger from day one. Exactly what we need.

I think Schneiderlin is a better player than Mason. I also think that if we were to sign Schneiderlin he would probably drop into the slightly deeper role and we could then move Bentaleb forward into Mason's role.

I am not a big fan of Mason and think he is overated by many, as for Schneiderlin he would be a better fit alongside Bentaleb but it depends what they want for him.

I am not a big fan of Mason and think he is overated by many, as for Schneiderlin he would be a better fit alongside Bentaleb but it depends what they want for him.

Tend to agree. I think Schneiderlin is definitely an upgrade on Mason though McCarthy would not be a bad option for holding midfielder. Very similar stats to the Frenchman and I fear Saints will play hard ball with some ridiculous price tag - unless there was an agreement last summer that he would be allowed to leave at a reasonable price if he stayed for an extra year.

Does not mean Mason would be jettisoned. May well improve to become even better with experience and we will have enough games for all three of them

Tend to agree. I think Schneiderlin is definitely an upgrade on Mason though McCarthy would not be a bad option for holding midfielder. Very similar stats to the Frenchman and I fear Saints will play hard ball with some ridiculous price tag - unless there was an agreement last summer that he would be allowed to leave at a reasonable price if he stayed for an extra year.

Does not mean Mason would be jettisoned. May well improve to become even better with experience and we will have enough games for all three of them

I would go along with that, i think there was a lot of Hype about Schneiderlin ( pretty much along with Fonte and Lallana) after last season and so far the other two have not pulled up any trees. McCarthy may cost less as well I would think.

I would go along with that, i think there was a lot of Hype about Schneiderlin ( pretty much along with Fonte and Lallana) after last season and so far the other two have not pulled up any trees. McCarthy may cost less as well I would think.

And we have Lennon as a bargaining chip...

What are the general thoughts on here about us being in for Mirallas? Would he be a better option than Chadli as our left sided attacking midfielder? Isn't he also a bit of a lazy, Prima Donna type who scores his fair share of eye catching goals but doesn't necessarily put the team first?

Problem with Mirallas is that because we'd be buying from an English team, he'd be over-priced and not necessarily a huge upgrade on Chadli. That said our forward options bar Kane and Eriksen are pretty desperate....

Problem with Mirallas is that because we'd be buying from an English team, he'd be over-priced and not necessarily a huge upgrade on Chadli. That said our forward options bar Kane and Eriksen are pretty desperate....

Mirallas would be a straight swap given his contract situation

Lie,wise as much as I'm a big fan of Mason, a deal that meant we offloaded one or even two dead wood players in exchange for Scheniderlain is a no brainer for me

We can back fill Stambouli with Morgan and townsend with Pritchard

That would give us cash still for a pacey winger were crying out for and make is a stronger side

If (and a considerable if) Pochettino still rates Schneiderlin as someone he would like us to pay X amount for I don't care about hype or lack of tree up-pulling actions of other players.

"Another Chadli" could have been huge for us this season.

The "huge upgrade on Chadli" players we can sign are few and far between. Perhaps, possibly, we can get someone in that can be that this season. But more likely we'd have to develop someone ourselves over some time. Meanwhile someone like Mirallas to provide us with competition for places, perhaps a real upgrade on Townsend/Lamela and some strength in depth would make us a lot more competitive next season as we again are likely to play a ton of games.

If (and a considerable if) Pochettino still rates Schneiderlin as someone he would like us to pay X amount for I don't care about hype or lack of tree up-pulling actions of other players.

"Another Chadli" could have been huge for us this season.

The "huge upgrade on Chadli" players we can sign are few and far between. Perhaps, possibly, we can get someone in that can be that this season. But more likely we'd have to develop someone ourselves over some time. Meanwhile someone like Mirallas to provide us with competition for places, perhaps a real upgrade on Townsend/Lamela and some strength in depth would make us a lot more competitive next season as we again are likely to play a ton of games.
I'm with you 100% on both points. I also wonder whether having another viable left sided attacking option might coax Chadli into working harder to keep his place. He has all the quality, it's just the desire that he needs to add.

I'm with you 100% on both points. I also wonder whether having another viable left sided attacking option might coax Chadli into working harder to keep his place. He has all the quality, it's just the desire that he needs to add.

Agreed with this too... Would very much be a good thing to have some real competition for places from someone PL proven. Someone like Mirallas or Jay Rodriguez.

I think we're pretty close to where we were when Redknapp took us to the Champions League. Some up and coming very talented youngsters. A couple of players close to super-stardom, a whole host of misfits. A couple of immediate impact players in the vein of Palacios, Defoe, Crouch and Kaboul could make a huge difference for us next season. I would like to see a balance between those kinds of signings and the "potential for the future" signings of course.

Agreed with this too... Would very much be a good thing to have some real competition for places from someone PL proven. Someone like Mirallas or Jay Rodriguez.

I think we're pretty close to where we were when Redknapp took us to the Champions League. Some up and coming very talented youngsters. A couple of players close to super-stardom, a whole host of misfits. A couple of immediate impact players in the vein of Palacios, Defoe, Crouch and Kaboul could make a huge difference for us next season. I would like to see a balance between those kinds of signings and the "potential for the future" signings of course.

Yeah I totally agree. A summer of PL experience in Mirallas/Rodriguez, Alderweirald (from Atletico but proven success in PL this season) and Schneiderlin/Cabaye plus some younger foreign prospects like Wimmer and then Alli arriving would be perfect.

Yeah I totally agree. A summer of PL experience in Mirallas/Rodriguez, Alderweirald (from Atletico but proven success in PL this season) and Schneiderlin/Cabaye plus some younger foreign prospects like Wimmer and then Alli arriving would be perfect.

Add a striker (Ings perhaps) to that list and it would be a great summer for me. And as always I want a target man striker option to come in, but would be perfectly happy with someone with potential from abroad filling that role :)

Not entirely convinced by Alderweireld, thought I wouldn't mind him joining us. The back is probably where we have the most experienced and PL experience with Dier and Fazio both with a PL season behind them to add to Rose, Walker, Vertonghen and Davies all with with 2 or more seasons in the PL. Someone like Wimmer or Schar coming in and we could be sorted actually.

QUOTE]

I do agree if Poch wants any player we should try and get him, Schneiderlin, Benteke and Alderweireld, would be a good window for me.

Add a striker (Ings perhaps) to that list and it would be a great summer for me. And as always I want a target man striker option to come in, but would be perfectly happy with someone with potential from abroad filling that role :)

Not entirely convinced by Alderweireld, thought I wouldn't mind him joining us. The back is probably where we have the most experienced and PL experience with Dier and Fazio both with a PL season behind them to add to Rose, Walker, Vertonghen and Davies all with with 2 or more seasons in the PL. Someone like Wimmer or Schar coming in and we could be sorted actually.
Could Gignac on a free from Marseille be a decent option for a player to cover Kane?

As I've said before many times though - Of all the bosmans out there Milner is the one that I want to add experience, a winning mentality and quality to our young team.

Gignac, Milner and Mirallas coming in this Summer would improve our team/squad and cost close to zero in transfer fees (assuming Lennon is used as part of a swap for Mirallas). We could then use the money we bring in from selling our deadwood of Soldado, Kaboul, Chiriches, Capoue and Paulinho to do all we can to back Pochettino and get Schneiderlin to the club. 3 players who are already proven in the premier league and a backup striker from France, but one who seems suited to the English game. That would be a very good summer I think.

The icing on the cake would be to find a team in Italy that would give us a reasonable transfer fee for Lamela and then go all out to buy a top class upgrade, Deepay would've been fantastic, but sadly I think that ship has now sailed. Thuavin might be a possibility, but of course there is the chance that he would suffer a similar fate to Lamela and struggle to adapt.

Could Gignac on a free from Marseille be a decent option for a player to cover Kane?

As I've said before many times though - Of all the bosmans out there Milner is the one that I want to add experience, a winning mentality and quality to our young team.

Gignac, Milner and Mirallas coming in this Summer would improve our team/squad and cost close to zero in transfer fees (assuming Lennon is used as part of a swap for Mirallas). We could then use the money we bring in from selling our deadwood of Soldado, Kaboul, Chiriches, Capoue and Paulinho to do all we can to back Pochettino and get Schneiderlin to the club. 3 players who are already proven in the premier league and a backup striker from France, but one who seems suited to the English game. That would be a very good summer I think.

The icing on the cake would be to find a team in Italy that would give us a reasonable transfer fee for Lamela and then go all out to buy a top class upgrade, Deepay would've been fantastic, but sadly I think that ship has now sailed. Thuavin might be a possibility, but of course there is the chance that he would suffer a similar fate to Lamela and struggle to adapt.

Positive about Gignac is that he's shown himself to do well under Bielsa. More of a gut impression, but I can't shake the somewhat underwhelming "poor man's Giroud" feeling about Gignac. Wouldn't be unhappy if we signed him, but if we're going for someone from abroad that might need time to settle in I would prefer someone younger. Would be a decent gamble/backup option on reasonable wages I suppose.

I would rather sell Townsend than Lamela ;)

Milner... Yeah, not looking likely to me, but would be very happy if we did sign him.

Positive about Gignac is that he's shown himself to do well under Bielsa. More of a gut impression, but I can't shake the somewhat underwhelming "poor man's Giroud" feeling about Gignac. Wouldn't be unhappy if we signed him, but if we're going for someone from abroad that might need time to settle in I would prefer someone younger. Would be a decent gamble/backup option on reasonable wages I suppose.

I would rather sell Townsend than Lamela ;)

Milner... Yeah, not looking likely to me, but would be very happy if we did sign him.
Good point, I hadn't thought of the Biesla connection, but with that in mind I guess that is another reason he should be on our short list. I think "poor man's Giroud" is probably a reasonable description of Gignac, but I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing really. Firstly he's not THAT much of the poor man compared to Giroud and secondly I think Giroud is perhaps a little underrated as a player. My perception is that Arsenal's form always seems to be worse when he is out of their team and picks up again when he is back.

Townsend/Lamela - one or other to go, I don't really mind which (and wouldn't care if both went as long as they were replaced) I picked Lamela as I thought we might be able to command a higher transfer fee for him from an Italian club who will hope to get him and then for him to recreate his success at Roma. Townsend also has the advantage that he is a homegrown player so all things being equal he might as well be the one that stays.

I do agree if Poch wants any player we should try and get him, Schneiderlin, Benteke and Alderweireld, would be a good window for me.

Sure. Difference between Schneiderlin and most other targets is that he has worked under Pochettino, in the Premier League and done really well. That seems to me to make him a really low risk target compared to many others, including others Pochettino wants.

Back