• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Rumour Discussion Thread

J Rod and Ings are decent players but both have only had one decent season at this level and one hasn't kicked a ball all season. Not against them coming but fear they are the signings to keep us in the top 6 rather than fire us into the top 4.

J Rod and Ings are decent players but both have only had one decent season at this level and one hasn't kicked a ball all season. Not against them coming but fear they are the signings to keep us in the top 6 rather than fire us into the top 4.

Depends on the tactical view.

- ala, do we want to be like the Scum, who get their top 4 position year over year but disposing of the bottom 14 teams in the EPL, despite having some years with awful records against the teams in top 4-6

If that's the view, perhaps J Rod and Ings will help.

Personally its the balance of team for me that needs to be sorted, specifically right side, second striker and additional creativity (to help/cover for Eriksen). And all the new players need to fit Poch's style.

It's a good point about Levy's actions around Modric having a potential impact on potential future transfers. I wouldn't have wanted Levy to have acted any differently though, we shouldn't just stand back when other clubs want our players.
I don't think it does impact future tranfers. Chelsea were the suitors, I truly think if it had been anyone outside the premier league he would have been sold, and as shown.. sell for less to boot.

Last edited:
Depends on the tactical view.

- ala, do we want to be like the Scum, who get their top 4 position year over year but disposing of the bottom 14 teams in the EPL, despite having some years with awful records against the teams in top 4-6

If that's the view, perhaps J Rod and Ings will help.

Personally its the balance of team for me that needs to be sorted, specifically right side, second striker and additional creativity (to help/cover for Eriksen). And all the new players need to fit Poch's style.

I'd take that.

I'd take that.
As much as Wenger's talk of the 'top four trophy' may point to the contrary, Arsenal have not gotten (/remained) where they are by aiming for fourth. They have aimed for the title, albeit often in the medium-term. They have bought young players to develop in-house, or fully-developed players of sheer class. Not mid-table dross.

On that note:
- Rodwell has shown no indication since his Everton days that he is a capable footballer. Mason has been talked about as a potential first-teamer since he was about 16 - now he's finally broken through, people want to spunk our limited resources on more mediocre CMs to keep him out? The mind boggles.
- Ings might do okay, but even if Burnley go down he will cost a bomb (see Darren Bent £16.5m). We may as well look to the Championship for a mediocre backup striker at about 1/3 of the price. Ulloa and Ings would have cost £7-9m last summer. Now Ings is going to cost about £20m. Awful value really.

Seriously. We are not Chelsea. We cannot be in the business of spending 8-figure sums on squad players.

Realistically our first team needs just two signings - a pacey wide AM & a big, ballwinning DM. These are the only players on whom we should be spending north of £10m. £30m on the former and £20m on the latter should be enough (not that we can exactly trust Baldini with that sort of wonga anymore).

Thankfully we are in the fortunate position of having a bench full of reputable internationals. Paulinho and Dembele will surely go for £15m apiece, and we can probably still get the best part of £20m from Lamela. Clear a CB and a striker too and we'll be looking at about £60m in sales to play with.

Even with the above signings, that leaves £10m+ to pick the best of the Championship; and let's be honest, they can't do any worse than Lamela and Soldado.

I think the Modrić situation was an exceptional one from our point-of-view, though. His agent probably wanted to get him a bigger club, but those that were looking at him vacillated because they thought he was going to be too lightweight. We were settled for, in order to get him into the Premier League, but of course, that was before Levy started all his sabre-rattling talk about holding players to contracts. If you ask me, agents in a similar situation will more than likely think twice about us in the light of all that.

I would be very surprised if we're not seen as an excellent club to go to for any young player with a lot of potential and willingness to work hard. Yes Levy kept Modric around for another season, but him and Bale have both gone on to Real Madrid from us. We've had plenty of young players break through this season and are getting recognition for that, continuing recognition for Pochettino as he did similar things at Southampton.

As much as Wenger's talk of the 'top four trophy' may point to the contrary, Arsenal have not gotten (/remained) where they are by aiming for fourth. They have aimed for the title, albeit often in the medium-term. They have bought young players to develop in-house, or fully-developed players of sheer class. Not mid-table dross.

On that note:
- Rodwell has shown no indication since his Everton days that he is a capable footballer. Mason has been talked about as a potential first-teamer since he was about 16 - now he's finally broken through, people want to spunk our limited resources on more mediocre CMs to keep him out? The mind boggles.
- Ings might do okay, but even if Burnley go down he will cost a bomb (see Darren Bent £16.5m). We may as well look to the Championship for a mediocre backup striker at about 1/3 of the price. Ulloa and Ings would have cost £7-9m last summer. Now Ings is going to cost about £20m. Awful value really.

Seriously. We are not Chelsea. We cannot be in the business of spending 8-figure sums on squad players.

Realistically our first team needs just two signings - a pacey wide AM & a big, ballwinning DM. These are the only players on whom we should be spending north of £10m. £30m on the former and £20m on the latter should be enough (not that we can exactly trust Baldini with that sort of wonga anymore).

Thankfully we are in the fortunate position of having a bench full of reputable internationals. Paulinho and Dembele will surely go for £15m apiece, and we can probably still get the best part of £20m from Lamela. Clear a CB and a striker too and we'll be looking at about £60m in sales to play with.

Even with the above signings, that leaves £10m+ to pick the best of the Championship; and let's be honest, they can't do any worse than Lamela and Soldado.

His contract runs out in the summer. Will be a tribunal fee, will be a significant fee, but not unreasonably I think.

Austin just looks like another Nugent or Holt to me. And Berahino is a Defoe with a whole host of mental and off-field issues

I like Ings and Rodriguez because they have a combination of technique, physical attributes and a bit of intelligence
If Berahino is indeed a Defoe then I'd definitely have him over the other two you want.... Defoe scored over 100 goals for Spurs. He also scored 19 goals for England.

While I appreciate the skills of both Ings and Rodriguez, I want us to sign a centre forward who is actually a centre forward. We currently no viable option other than Harry Kane with Adebayor seemingly out of the door and Soldado just being hopeless. I couldn't see either Ings or J'Rod being a particularly successful number 9 in our team, Austin I think would be however. Berahino can play as the number 9, but also is a good number 10 and can also come from wide.

I also think you are very harsh on Austin. Wondering if you've actually watched him or just assumed the type of player he is?.... The games in which I have seen him play I have been impressed with his technique, his physical attributes and also his intelligence at holding the ball up and bringing others into play.

I would be very surprised if we're not seen as an excellent club to go to for any young player with a lot of potential and willingness to work hard. Yes Levy kept Modric around for another season, but him and Bale have both gone on to Real Madrid from us. We've had plenty of young players break through this season and are getting recognition for that, continuing recognition for Pochettino as he did similar things at Southampton.

His contract runs out in the summer. Will be a tribunal fee, will be a significant fee, but not unreasonably I think.

Ah, that makes all the difference. My football knowledge has been slipping in recent seasons :oops:

Looking at teams who play a similar system to us we need to get a mix in the 3 behind the forward

A pacey player, a skill full player and a Physical player. That seems to be the blend that works

We currently have skilful ish players and chadli for reh physical side... We painfully lack the pace side

Address those issues with the right signings and the rest may come together

Agree re the first two but we can only drop Kane back if we sign at least one and ideally 2 proper forwards

kane being physical up top is good enough. I feel we miss the intricate player. Eriksen is NOT it. I'm talking about a Muniain, Hazard, Brahimi type. It's true that they are a rare breed and the best ones are at the biggest clubs but those are the exciting ones we need.

Poch always says he only likes a maximum of 3 signings per year, so don't hold your breath for any more

We need 3 solid signings for the first team, a CM and two attacking players. We will probably see more arrive (Alli is one), but they will be younger players, maybe a punt or two. Energy and good work ethics.

kane being physical up top is good enough. I feel we miss the intricate player. Eriksen is NOT it. I'm talking about a Muniain, Hazard, Brahimi type. It's true that they are a rare breed and the best ones are at the biggest clubs but those are the exciting ones we need.

Erisken for me is as good as we have for that role at the moment. Would love an even better player but not sure who

Pritchard will be a viable Option for some games but is very similar to erisken

Cleverly is loosely linked with us and arse on a free this summer. Has he been any good for Villa?

A couple of words on Kevin Wimmer then...

Never played Bundesliga football in Austria. Was part of a LASK Linz side that was playing in the second division when he moved to FC Köln at 19 years of age.
Austrian manager Peter Stöger moved from Austria Vienna to Köln, who were then in the second division, giving a bit of context to this apparently odd transfer. When Wimmer arrived he as over weight (was also the case at LASK), poor technically and weak in the air (obviously Stöger saw something in him somewhere), and he was sent away to work on himself. Got a red card on his first appearance.

Seems he worked and worked on himself and became a massively important player for Köln as they got promoted. Thats what he's renowned for: taking advice and extreme hard work, not for natural ability, and certainly not for footballing ability.

Has handled himself fairly well from what I've seen in the Bundesliga, although to be honest, Köln isn't a team I follow particularly closely. He isn't very well known in Austria, and isn't first choice for the national team. Had a look through some Köln forums and the fans seem split: some think get rid while the price is high, others are disappointed to see another player go and feel the fee is too small; I'd say the spilt is about 60-40.

I've actually got an article in PDF form about Wimmer in the Austrian press called 'London Calling', but it says the file is too large to upload. I don't know if a mod could help at all? It also includes a little bit about Spurs; says our stadium holds 32K ;)
Actually its quite instructive about our reputation overseas - its very rare that foreign commentators get all their facts right with regards to us. I think people who slate the EL should take notice that in Austria the Kiev match is being broadcast on a national TV station on Thursday (admittedly mainly because Dragovic is there), and the whole of Germany is tuning in to the Wolfsburg EL run. Its only seen as an annoying distraction in England, over here (mainland Europe) it certainly isn't. Our defeat to Basel was very damaging for our prestige in Germany speaking countries.

Like I say, if a mod can help (maybe I can send the article to one of you guys) then we can upload the newspaper article. I thought it might be interesting for Spurs fans to see coverage of Spurs and our transfer dealings in the foreign press.

With regards Wimmer, I think it could go either way. His attitude is superb, but I'm not sure he has the natural ability. I've watched other players come from Austria and flop: after watching Jelavic play for Rapid it was obvious he wasn't good enough for premier league football. With Wimmer it isn't as clear cut. We're banking, I presume, on him continuing his development and and stepping up another level again and continuing to rise to greater challenges.

Back