• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

Re: Transfer Rumours

Here's one that I hope doesn't come off. West Ham are apparently being linked with Jordie Clasie (saw it on some website the other day) although the face competition from us, Arsenal and Fiorentina (IIRC).

He is not a fat sam player so if they were to sign him or even look at him then I think that means he is off in the summer.

Agree a great player who along with the left back Blind are two players I would love us to sign from Holland.

Why do they even bother publishing crap like that? You've got to be pretty deluded, even for a spammer, to believe it.

Re: Other Premier League Matches Thread

Is there a thread for potential transfer targets?

I feel our best bet is to get players with Premiership experience, preferably foreign (better technique generally), probably from lower clubs that would sell.

That makes me think of Bony and Michu at Swansea, still young but play like real established stars

Maybe Arnautovic at Stoke, solid but skillful too

Kaciniclic and Dejagah at Fulham perhaps, hmm

Who at Soton... Lovren and Schneiderlin? Hmm

I'm not saying these guys are better than what we have, but I'm saying we should look at these TYPES of players and see if there are any gems to be had from the teams ranked 8 downwards in the Prem, they aren't all bad players.

Reminds me of when United bought Valencia from Wigan, I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Anyone got any "lower level" gettable foreigners with experience to recommend?

Why do they even bother publishing crap like that? You've got to be pretty deluded, even for a spammer, to believe it.

how do you know Fat sam will be their manager next season??? maybe they have lined up a manager who preaches pass and move football and a player like Claise would be at the heart of it. Claise may not want to go there, but in football anything can happen

how do you know Fat sam will be their manager next season??? maybe they have lined up a manager who preaches pass and move football and a player like Claise would be at the heart of it. Claise may not want to go there, but in football anything can happen

I think that was his point, not that Sam/Wham wouldn't go for Clasie in the first place. I agree that Allardyce is likely to leave/get booted.

He's been in or around the Holland squad and could go to the World Cup I think. He's been linked to clubs much bigger than West Ham.

Would be very surprising if he ended up at West Ham.

Real Madrid are plotting a record-breaking £90m bid for Liverpool striker Luis Suarez, 27, in the summer.

Full story: caughtoffside.com

Now, that would test their resolve. Its fair enough turning down £40m, 90 is a different kettle of fish

Is there a thread for potential transfer targets?

I feel our best bet is to get players with Premiership experience, preferably foreign (better technique generally), probably from lower clubs that would sell.

That makes me think of Bony and Michu at Swansea, still young but play like real established stars

Maybe Arnautovic at Stoke, solid but skillful too

Kaciniclic and Dejagah at Fulham perhaps, hmm

Who at Soton... Lovren and Schneiderlin? Hmm

I'm not saying these guys are better than what we have, but I'm saying we should look at these TYPES of players and see if there are any gems to be had from the teams ranked 8 downwards in the Prem, they aren't all bad players.

Reminds me of when United bought Valencia from Wigan, I don't think anyone saw that coming.

Anyone got any "lower level" gettable foreigners with experience to recommend?

Not yet i think, I'm guessing there will be some in the upcoming transfer rumours subforum.

I agree with you that we should try to get some PL proven players, we've seen how trying to integrate 7 new players from abroad is really tough this season.

Of the players you mention I think Michu, Lovren and Schneiderlin should be potential targets at least. Bony if we think he has even more in his locker than he's shown so far this season. Lovren is a good shout I think as I do think we'll need at least one centre back this summer and the fight to secure top rated centre backs will be absolutely fierce. Although Southampton won't sell cheap that's for sure...

Some other (more or less obviously) potential targets:
-Begovic obviously always gets mentioned if we can't keep Lloris.
-Some more of the Southampton lads like Lallana perhaps. (I know he's not strictly speaking foreign, but he kinda plays like he was ;) )
-Benteke obviously (ducks for cover)
-Ben Arfa/Remy at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, not entire convinced myself, but potential targets.

Another source for PL experience might be players with contracts expiring this summer or next summer. Dzeko etc...

it is

although he's more likely to stay with them being in the CL and winning the title

I think that was his point, not that Sam/Wham wouldn't go for Clasie in the first place. I agree that Allardyce is likely to leave/get booted.

He's been in or around the Holland squad and could go to the World Cup I think. He's been linked to clubs much bigger than West Ham.

Would be very surprising if he ended up at West Ham.

just like with modric what is bothering people is his size. He has been highly rated for a while but is still at Feyenoord.....a lot of top clubs looked at modric in Croatia but never took the plunge. Remember he was on the verge of joining Saudi Sportswashing Machine before we poached him. Saudi Sportswashing Machine:lol:

it is

although he's more likely to stay with them being in the CL and winning the title

I wonder if winning the title would mean 'been there, done that' so he could feel he could move on having achieved what he wanted?

Going out on a limb, but surely Pool won't win it (again?) next season... the stars won't align twice. So he'd be better off moving...

just like with modric what is bothering people is his size. He has been highly rated for a while but is still at Feyenoord.....a lot of top clubs looked at modric in Croatia but never took the plunge. Remember he was on the verge of joining Saudi Sportswashing Machine before we poached him. Saudi Sportswashing Machine:lol:

Perhaps.

Although I think it might also be a case of both the player and potential buyers thinking that maturing in a league where he's guaranteed starting time is better than making a big move too soon don't you think?

Perhaps.

Although I think it might also be a case of both the player and potential buyers thinking that maturing in a league where he's guaranteed starting time is better than making a big move too soon don't you think?

its possible, but would be highly unusual.....

Danny Welbeck
----------------
The Mirror are struggling to fill their columns it seems so they have linked us with Welbeck for the tidy sum of £20m. Now if they had said something closer to £10m then maybe I'd have believed them but there is no way on earth that he is worth that much, nor do I believe that Levy would even sanction a deal of that much. However it is a rumour so I'll put it in here.

Danny Welbeck
----------------
The Mirror are struggling to fill their columns it seems so they have linked us with Welbeck for the tidy sum of £20m. Now if they had said something closer to £10m then maybe I'd have believed them but there is no way on earth that he is worth that much, nor do I believe that Levy would even sanction a deal of that much. However it is a rumour so I'll put it in here.

he is young, a striker, and English......20 mill is the going rate these days i guess and remember Levy sanctioned a 16 mill for Bent way back in 2007

Not yet i think, I'm guessing there will be some in the upcoming transfer rumours subforum.

I agree with you that we should try to get some PL proven players, we've seen how trying to integrate 7 new players from abroad is really tough this season.

Of the players you mention I think Michu, Lovren and Schneiderlin should be potential targets at least. Bony if we think he has even more in his locker than he's shown so far this season. Lovren is a good shout I think as I do think we'll need at least one centre back this summer and the fight to secure top rated centre backs will be absolutely fierce. Although Southampton won't sell cheap that's for sure...

Some other (more or less obviously) potential targets:
-Begovic obviously always gets mentioned if we can't keep Lloris.
-Some more of the Southampton lads like Lallana perhaps. (I know he's not strictly speaking foreign, but he kinda plays like he was ;) )
-Benteke obviously (ducks for cover)
-Ben Arfa/Remy at Saudi Sportswashing Machine, not entire convinced myself, but potential targets.

Another source for PL experience might be players with contracts expiring this summer or next summer. Dzeko etc...

Thanks brainy, good list. Last year everyone was going crazy for keepers Krul and Vorm but I've seen a lot less chat about those guys this year.
Before that we were linked with lanky centre backs Hangelaand at Fulham and Olsson at West Brom, neither of whom have done that well this year.

We were also linked with strikers Hooper and Wolfswinkel at Norwich who have been awful, so we dodged a bullet there.
Also Luuk de Jong who went somewhere and disappeared, was it Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Villa? Rubbish. Much better to sign players that have proven they can play at this level.

FWIW Wikipedia says Michu is 28 years old and has 20 goals in 52 appearances for Swansea, whereas Bony is 25 and has 13 in 31.
Both are big units, Michu has more skill but has been out for a LONG time, whereas Bony is built like a brick outhouse.
I would swap Soldado for either.

There must be 'good enough' players out there that we could hoover up. We need a new centre back and left back... who is out there, every squad must have a few.

Thanks brainy, good list. Last year everyone was going crazy for keepers Krul and Vorm but I've seen a lot less chat about those guys this year.
Before that we were linked with lanky centre backs Hangelaand at Fulham and Olsson at West Brom, neither of whom have done that well this year.

We were also linked with strikers Hooper and Wolfswinkel at Norwich who have been awful, so we dodged a bullet there.
Also Luuk de Jong who went somewhere and disappeared, was it Saudi Sportswashing Machine or Villa? Rubbish. Much better to sign players that have proven they can play at this level.

FWIW Wikipedia says Michu is 28 years old and has 20 goals in 52 appearances for Swansea, whereas Bony is 25 and has 13 in 31.
Both are big units, Michu has more skill but has been out for a LONG time, whereas Bony is built like a brick outhouse.
I would swap Soldado for either.

There must be 'good enough' players out there that we could hoover up. We need a new centre back and left back... who is out there, every squad must have a few.

Michu for me is where we should be sniffing around. More versatile than Bony and could be more gettable, if he ever wants to play at a club near the top it's getting close to the time to get his move.

In general I think we should look for players that are either clearly better than our current first choice, or with the potential to get there, or players that are available cheaply and are good value for money. Not just "good enough players". But there has to be a balance between "right now" and potential for the future.

Back