• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

For a start I cannot ever remember us playing on the break. Since Jol (and way before) we have been a team who tend to dominate possession. We have never looked to sit back, draw a team on to us and then break.

Secondly do you feel that the French national team only play on the break?

We played on the break under redknapp.

In fact our success at it probably contributed to our downfall. We had that 15 game winning streak towards the start of a season, and teams learnt to sit back against us and we'd struggle.

Rojo has handed in a transfer request and is likely to go for 20m,good player and would end up covering centre half and left back, linked with United.

We played on the break under redknapp.

In fact our success at it probably contributed to our downfall. We had that 15 game winning streak towards the start of a season, and teams learnt to sit back against us and we'd struggle.

Did we?.... Perhaps very, very rarely we did - such as against Milan, but generally we dominated games with good ball players. Yes we had pace in Lennon and Bale outside and we utilised that well. But we didn't ever look to play deep, get behind the ball and invite opposition on to us in order to counter.

Did we?.... Perhaps very, very rarely we did - such as against Milan, but generally we dominated games with good ball players. Yes we had pace in Lennon and Bale outside and we utilised that well. But we didn't ever look to play deep, get behind the ball and invite opposition on to us in order to counter.

Yeah, I remember something of this sort as well: we were never a purely counter-attacking team. What we would do is come out of the blocks roaring, getting at the opposition left, right and center for 45 minutes, closing down, dribbling down the edges of the box and playing aggressive forward passes. Then, as we'd tire, we'd try and sit back and hit the opposition on the counter, hopefully with a one or two goal lead at that point.

The problem with us then is that we burnt out our players too early into the season doing that, so that by the time February rolled around, the majority of them were jaded to an extent, and when that happened teams would generally sit back, weather the storm and then hit us on the break as we kept trying to break down them down well into the second half as the initial 'flurry' failed.

The solution to that was better squad management and better squad players. The former was Harry's failure: he never really used our fringe players effectively to keep the core group fit into the final stages of the season, and this was never clearer for all to see than when his mind was on the England job during that catastrophic second half of 2012. The second was Levy's failure: a failure to invest when we needed investment, and a failure to back his man to an extent, culminating in the infamous Saha and Nelsen transfers.

But anyway, beside the point. We weren't a counter-attacking team duting the Redknapp era. Was it an important part of our game? Yes. Did we try it from minute one to minute ninety, like O'Neill's Villa? No.

Yeah, I remember something of this sort as well: we were never a purely counter-attacking team. What we would do is come out of the blocks roaring, getting at the opposition left, right and center for 45 minutes, closing down, dribbling down the edges of the box and playing aggressive forward passes. Then, as we'd tire, we'd try and sit back and hit the opposition on the counter, hopefully with a one or two goal lead at that point.

The problem with us then is that we burnt out our players too early into the season doing that, so that by the time February rolled around, the majority of them were jaded to an extent, and when that happened teams would generally sit back, weather the storm and then hit us on the break as we kept trying to break down them down well into the second half as the initial 'flurry' failed.

The solution to that was better squad management and better squad players. The former was Harry's failure: he never really used our fringe players effectively to keep the core group fit into the final stages of the season, and this was never clearer for all to see than when his mind was on the England job during that catastrophic second half of 2012. The second was Levy's failure: a failure to invest when we needed investment, and a failure to back his man to an extent, culminating in the infamous Saha and Nelsen transfers.

But anyway, beside the point. We weren't a counter-attacking team duting the Redknapp era. Was it an important part of our game? Yes. Did we try it from minute one to minute ninety, like O'Neill's Villa? No.

Good post, although it wasn't really those tactics that burnt the players out, it was over-use of them. They played every game even when carrying injuries, and that catches up with you in the end. Every game was important, every game a few players would be carrying knocks and just getting through, but that leads to more injuries long term and by the end of the season the gaps in the squad were evident as we had too many 'second string' players in the team all at once. Better to carry one 'second string' player with 10 'first string' players than go with 11 'first stringers' every game until 5 of them are knackered

The glory-glory.co.uk Tottenham Transfer News thread?

Quick suggestion.

Would you guys be up for a reputable only news only thread? Somewhere where what's presented by (arguably) good sources can be cross-posted with no discussion, essentially as a news aggregator for what we collectively decide is solid enough to be considered solid.

I'm thinking stuff from people like DiMarzio and Greg Stobart, perhaps a small handful of ITKs, articles from good outlets with relevant quotes. Should be fairly self-moderated, discussion about the validity of the source could happen in whatever relevant thread the news is also posted in and hopefully the mods can delete the occasional comment/discussion or news from less reputable sources?

Could be a nice little resource for when people are working or otherwise don't have the time to click through a couple of pages of each thread to get updated.

Thoughts?

Re: The glory-glory.co.uk Tottenham Transfer News thread?

I think it's completely futile to try and separate newspaper stories from twitter from ITK. It's all merged into one. Look at the failure of the ITK Thread - it's just a duplicate of the Transfer Discussion Thread.

Read only threads are also pretty pointless on forums. It means you have to go and copy and paste everything into a separate thread to be able to discuss anything.

I don't think there's particularly any reputable journalism around transfer rumours. Respectable journalism is analysis articles in broadsheets. Bar one or two, rumours journalists are just hacks or algorithms.

If you want a fantastic aggregator of news stories, just go to: https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated

Not looking to separate newspaper stories from twitter from ITK, quite the contrary. Would like to see a read-only version where all of news bits from the ITK, general transfer news, central defenders thread, player specific thread etc is collected.

Not sure that a read only thread is pointless, copy-pasting a story into an additional thread takes all of 10 seconds and it doesn't have to be the original poster of that story that copy-pastes it. Just anyone that thinks "this is actually reputable/real transfer news". I see a lot of posters put a lot of time into this forum and I think quite a few people would have no problems taking those 10 seconds if it helps create a useful resource.

Thanks for the link, but for me that's a bit too voluminous for the purpose I was thinking about.

Reputable only? There wouldn't be anything in the thread mate. Everyone is guessing and speculating.

Can't see the point, I already have to go to 23 different threads to see what is going on, this would just add another.

I think it's completely futile to try and separate newspaper stories from twitter from ITK. It's all merged into one. Look at the failure of the ITK Thread - it's just a duplicate of the Transfer Discussion Thread.

Read only threads are also pretty pointless on forums. It means you have to go and copy and paste everything into a separate thread to be able to discuss anything.

I don't think there's particularly any reputable journalism around transfer rumours. Respectable journalism is analysis articles in broadsheets. Bar one or two, rumours journalists are just hacks or algorithms.

If you want a fantastic aggregator of news stories, just go to: https://twitter.com/HotspurRelated

:lol: I agree with this.

But that's part of the fun I guess.

SportMediaSet claim Roma sporting director Walter Sabatini will travel to London to negotiate the sale of Mattia Destro to Tottenham.

hopefully Sabatini is travelling to London to take Chiriches off our hands

hopefully Sabatini is travelling to London to take Chiriches off our hands

Hopefully, he isn't........since, like all the other underperforming players from last season, Chiriches deserves a chance to prove himself under a manager who actually knows what he is doing and has a track record of improving his players.

Back