• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

General Transfer Discussion Thread

Re: Transfer Rumours

Left back needs sorting but otherwise we have the players but the coaching or system needs work. I really think the problem is not the talent of the players. It is their mindset or their instructions or the midfield setup that is letting them down.

Most defenders look cack when they are totally exposed; the whole team needs to defend as a unit and get back to the days of clean sheets.

Left back needs sorting but otherwise we have the players but the coaching or system needs work. I really think the problem is not the talent of the players. It is their mindset or their instructions or the midfield setup that is letting them down.

I know that agreeing with Tim elicits ridicule but I think that our midfield is very samey and needs some work

Disagree. The amount of horrendous individual lapses and errors suggests poor individual defenders. No amount of drilling and coaching can legislate for the brain farts and sloppy play and horrendous passing witnessed this season from our defence.

Vertonghen losing the flight of the ball letting the defender steel a march on him and trying to rugby tackle the striker in a desperate attempt to make up for his brain fart pulling the guys shorts down in the process?

Naughton's howlers against Southampton?
Vertonghen's howlers v Liverpool, City,Arsenal etc

Chiriches pass across the defence blind recently

Kaboul v Liverpool...the list is almost endless

You can set up tactics, drills and coaching all you like you cant legislate for the weak, mentally fragile, prone to lapses crappy defending we regularly see from these guys under TWO managers one of whom implemented an ultra defensive system.

Naughton, Vertonghen, post-injury Kaboul and Rose are rank bad defenders that regularly display clown like lapses that directly lead to chances and goals

I think Daws and Chiriches can look solid in the right system and a settled team

Disagree. The amount of horrendous individual lapses and errors suggests poor individual defenders. No amount of drilling and coaching can legislate for the brain farts and sloppy play and horrendous passing witnessed this season from our defence.

Vertonghen losing the flight of the ball letting the defender steel a march on him and trying to rugby tackle the striker in a desperate attempt to make up for his brain fart pulling the guys shorts down in the process?

You can set up tactics, drills and coaching all you like you cant legislate for the weak, mentally fragile, prone to lapses crappy defending we regularly see from these guys under TWO managers one of whom implemented an ultra defensive system.

Naughton, Vertonghen, post-injury Kaboul and Rose are rank bad defenders that regularly display clown like lapses that directly lead to chances and goals

I think Daws and Chiriches can look solid in the right system and a settled team

Kaboul has caught Dawson's ball chasing habit

Wait, what was Kabouls error against Liverpool, or are we counting the own goal that was fired across and deflected on to him?

If anything, rose or eriksen should get the blame for that ****

I was watching a PL game with Souness as a pundit probably 10 years ago or thereabouts. A Saudi Sportswashing Machine player (I think) played a horrible backpass, the opponent ran onto it and scored. Asked in the studio Souness said one of the dumbest things I've ever heard from a pundit: "You can't work on that on the training ground". Seriously? You cannot get it into a player's head that he has to look up before passing the ball back to the goalkeeper? Suddenly the reason why Souness failed as a manager looked pretty clear...

Now I'm not saying that your post is the same, but there seems to be this view that some things can't be improved by the manager or on the training ground. I disagree. Certainly top class defenders will always be more consistant than poor defenders and won't make as many silly mistakes. But still it's possible to improve and it's possible for managers/coaches to do something about stuff like this.

Look at Liverpool, look at Martin Skrtel. I'm sure many people have said that he just isn't good enough and that there's nothing a manager can do about it. Similarly for them Carragher went from a squad/utility player to a clear first choice for them under Benitez.

Look at us, we had a real problem of conceding late goals early on under AVB. He, by his own words, changed our training a bit, added more high intensity activities towards the end of sessions and we improved. Did it actually improve the players permanently? Or was it just a belief/placebo things? Or was it perhaps a combination? Who knows? But it seemed to work.

Top managers/coaches have a history of making average looking players look much better in their system, with confidence, with belief. To make players that might at other clubs be good enough look very good, exactly by drilling and coaching. I don't know about you, but many times I thought about some United player and thought "well, he's not good enough for United" only to 5 years later still see the same player there, much improved, much more consistent.

But it wasn't under TWO managers really.

First half of the season, when the team was set up defensively, we had one of the best (2nd?) defensive resords in the league (bar the 3 hammerings) .... so 15 or so games where brain farts weren't an issue.

Second half when we are set up too attackingly, errors etc have appeared because the defense are isolated and feel under pressure (mentally) from the off.

The players haven't got significantly worse, something else must have changed to show their limitations. The players may not be absolutely top draw but the system is letting them down.

You can legislate for weak, fragile players if they are your only option, by giving them more help. Surely the manager works out what his weakest link is ( our defence apparently) and devises a system to protect and strengthen it. If they had proper midfield cover and support would the brain ffarts be happpenning? Some, but almost certainly not as many or as critically.

Players - some blame.
System - most of the blame.

At the risk of sounding like HR, or even TS, I would not mind one or two players who really hate losing arriving in the close season. The odd obsessive who can't be dragged off the training pitch would not go amiss, either.

I have no idea who those players are - at least in terms of those who might be available for purchase. Historically - Naybet, Davids, Gascoigne - we've either got these sorts of players at the end of their career or relatively early.

No for me, regularly reoccurring individual errors are a system fault.

AVB used to have a concept of how you developed players to be more intelligent. A lot of his sessions were structured around this - training players so they made the right 'instinctive' decisions. This is the sort of way top coaches actually improve players

Other factors contribute to individual mistakes too:
- lack of shape that leaves players exposed in the first place
- playing on the break, rather than with possession, which increases the amount of time your defenders are defending (law of probabilities therefore dictates a far higher chance of mistakes)
- poor fitness - getting worse since Timmeh got rid of the dieticians and brought back the ketchup?
- poor motivation - unfocused players

All our defenders, apart from Rose, are good enough. They just need some organisation.

Fischer is a very good player (I actually wanted him over Eriksen last summer).

One of him, Konoplyanka or Griezmann coming in to replace Siggy and giving us a proper left-side option would be fantastic.

One issue though is that Ajax only usually let one top player leave per year - so who would be want more - Fischer or Blind?

Fischer is a very good player (I actually wanted him over Eriksen last summer).

One of him, Konoplyanka or Griezmann coming in to replace Siggy and giving us a proper left-side option would be fantastic.

One issue though is that Ajax only usually let one top player leave per year - so who would be want more - Fischer or Blind?

Go for broke and do a triple with Veltman in there as well.

Back