• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

From someone who truly believed Bale was NOT going to go to Madrid, either due to Levys obstinance or Madrids inability to meet the valuation, if Willian and Lamela sign, and especially for those fees, one would have to say Bale is gone and the whole thing has been played out to a certain extent.

I truly hope he stays in that team, and there must be an element at Spurs that are nudging and winking both AVB and Bale with all these (potential) new players saying "look, told you we meant what we said".

A large part of me knows that the squad will be in better shape in general, but disagrees with Spurs as a club being stronger. We wont be. That's why Madrid are after Bale and not Lamela, Soldado, Willian, Chadli, Capoue etc. He is on another level altogether.

Until United bought Van Persie, they were not box office football, only the power of the brand was. They were treading water and had no one who excited the imagination of the masses, and they knew it wasnt what they wanted to be, so they acted. Does anyone find themselves tuning in eagerly to every Barca match almost for Messi alone? I know I sometimes find myself disinterested if he's not on the pitch.

That is what Bale is. The unquantifiable. What people across the world will flock to Spurs games on TV just to witness. The last we had like that was Gazza. Maybe Klinsmann for period. It will be a long time before we see a player of quite that stupendous level at the Lane again, I'd imagine.

There is indeed a very good chance the team AVB puts out may garner the same number of points (or maybe even more), but let's not pretend that losing Bale would be anything other than significantly weakening Tottenham as a whole. They will have lost a world megastar, and the collective mind of the worlds football watching population will know and associate that act with Tottenham Hotspur, rather than focus on the myriad of deals financed as a result. It will be the difference between the masses being excited about Tottenham, and not.

How many great teams such as Porto, Benfica etc have you been exhilarated by over the years only to have your exhilaration turn to "meh" after they sell off their best. These teams rebuild, yes, but they are forever destined to never reach the promised land, I'd argue.

Maybe a poor comparison, but a cautionary tale nonetheless: How did Liverpool fare when given a blank cheque for Torres? Every conceivable angle and element of that deal went t1ts up. Nothing is guaranteed.

Nothing we can do about it as supporters, really. Just have to get on with it,cherish the memories, and try not to imagine what might have been. Whatever will be will be.

Good post.

in all honesty, if it's a guarantee that we'd get Lamela, Willian and perhaps Coentrao then I'd be happy with Bale going.

plus it looks like we are getting Halilovic and that Bulgarian chap

in all honesty, if it's a guarantee that we'd get Lamela, Willian and perhaps Coentrao then I'd be happy with Bale going.

me too along with chadli, soldado, capoue and paulinho yes weve lost bale but our squad, 1st team is so much stronger

From someone who truly believed Bale was NOT going to go to Madrid, either due to Levys obstinance or Madrids inability to meet the valuation, if Willian and Lamela sign, and especially for those fees, one would have to say Bale is gone and the whole thing has been played out to a certain extent.

I truly hope he stays in that team, and there must be an element at Spurs that are nudging and winking both AVB and Bale with all these (potential) new players saying "look, told you we meant what we said".

A large part of me knows that the squad will be in better shape in general, but disagrees with Spurs as a club being stronger. We wont be. That's why Madrid are after Bale and not Lamela, Soldado, Willian, Chadli, Capoue etc. He is on another level altogether.

Until United bought Van Persie, they were not box office football, only the power of the brand was. They were treading water and had no one who excited the imagination of the masses, and they knew it wasnt what they wanted to be, so they acted. Does anyone find themselves tuning in eagerly to every Barca match almost for Messi alone? I know I sometimes find myself disinterested if he's not on the pitch.

That is what Bale is. The unquantifiable. What people across the world will flock to Spurs games on TV just to witness. The last we had like that was Gazza. Maybe Klinsmann for period. It will be a long time before we see a player of quite that stupendous level at the Lane again, I'd imagine.

There is indeed a very good chance the team AVB puts out may garner the same number of points (or maybe even more), but let's not pretend that losing Bale would be anything other than significantly weakening Tottenham as a whole. They will have lost a world megastar, and the collective mind of the worlds football watching population will know and associate that act with Tottenham Hotspur, rather than focus on the myriad of deals financed as a result. It will be the difference between the masses being excited about Tottenham, and not.

How many great teams such as Porto, Benfica etc have you been exhilarated by over the years only to have your exhilaration turn to "meh" after they sell off their best. These teams rebuild, yes, but they are forever destined to never reach the promised land, I'd argue.

Maybe a poor comparison, but a cautionary tale nonetheless: How did Liverpool fare when given a blank cheque for Torres? Every conceivable angle and element of that deal went t1ts up. Nothing is guaranteed.

Nothing we can do about it as supporters, really. Just have to get on with it,cherish the memories, and try not to imagine what might have been. Whatever will be will be.

Fantastic post

Good post. It will be so sad not seeing Bale in a Spurs shirt. He is now a global superstar and icon. He is a galactico. He's such a dedicated grounded pro too, who works at his game and seems to have a new string to his bow every season. Unfortunately his head has obviously been turned by the massive will of Real to get their man.

We can't realistically fight it. If Man U couldn't with Ronaldo we sure didn't have a chance. What we appear to have done is make sure we get the best possible deal for the club.

Willian is a creative player we needed and if we pull Lamela off as well he does have the potential to be another superstar. It's been an insane summer, one that I can't remember ever experiencing. Nor do I expect to again. At the end we will have a team and squad full of options without an identifiable weakness. Like you though when we are bulldozing teams part of me will miss the Bale star-dust, the arrogant stance on the ball, the crowd rising in expectation, the long-range shots, the flicks, the free-kicks! He was what Spurs are all about

You're kidding?

Please tell me you're kidding...

Remember Mata, Silva, Aguero and so on and so on? They all had ****e first seasons didn't they?

No no no no no!

You have to remember that English football is so different from football everywhere else in the world it may as well be another sport entirely. These Johnny Foreigners don't stand a chance with their inability to understand 4-4-2 and "If in doubt, lump it".

I actually disagree with quite a lot of that.

The club is bigger than Bale.

If we improve as a team, as you say we might very well do, and as a result push on to qualify for the CL and get close to a title fight this season or next I think those two things will give us more exposure than Bale.

Lamela and Willian are not at Bale's level in terms of exposure or unquantifiable elements at this point, but that's not to say they never will be. Bale himself was nowhere near his current level of unquantifiableness a year ago.

United signed RvP because of what he does on the pitch. He was the best player in the league and available, they could sign him, that's all.

Liverpool failed because they failed with their new signings. That might happen to us too of course, but it might not.

Porto is not a good example at all. Clubs like Porto and Benfica struggle to grow because they're in the Portuguese league, not because of their transfer strategy imo.

BBC Sport:

Sky Italia is reporting that Tottenham and Real Madrid have agreed a £93m deal for Gareth Bale.

Begs the question, surely, why would Italian press know of this before any other country? ](*,)

I see the point you are making but we have to recognise that we are not a Real Madrid, Man Ure, Barcarole, etc. as it stands, we are still in the second tier of world football - no CL, no new stadium and no realistic chance for a PL title.

Given those facts, we have to develop players and hope that one turns out to be world class - we have done it before eg Berbs, Modric and Bale. Who is to say we won't do it again with one of the newbies? By then, we may have a new stadium and be CL regulars and then we won't have to sell.

Also, it just takes one injury to Bale and then our season is effectively over. While I too would miss him like mad, I think the club is right to spread the risk and not have all our eggs in one basket.

BBC Sport:

Begs the question, surely, why would Italian press know of this before any other country? ](*,)

I'm not quite sure what your point is?

Why couldn't they get the news first? International agents are most likely involved, Baldini and Ancelotti are both from Italy.

yeah forgot about Ancelotti, another Italian involved in this mega deal

Italian Mino Raiola used to be contracted to Bale for anything outside of UK. Dont know if he still does stuff or not. Maybe still involved or working on the Madrid side..

BBC Sport:

Nope.....they probably read it on here. I'm sure that was mentioned in the Lamela thead. You know what alot of Journo's are like......they'll look through the fans forums as well as make **** up. That is why they'll never divulge a source, it wouldn't look very good would it (source: Jollyyiddo @ www.glory-glory.co.uk/forums/tranfer_rumours)

Back