• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Gareth Bale

Re: Gareth Bale

Bale doesn't so much need BAE behind him, more he needs someone left-footed behind him (based on him playing down the left)

Only if he can improve his right footed skills but I'm not expecting him to be here past the summer. I'm hoping he is but, if you thought the Modric saga was drawn out then this will be a lot bigger still, will be very hard to keep hold of him unless he 100% wants to stay.

If we can finish in the top 4 I don't see why we can't keep him.

I think we will have at least one more season out of him.

He seems the homely type and has a new daughter, plus if we can get CL, then who knows.

Either way he's already given us 5 years... 6 or 7, couldn't argue with that and I wouldn't begrudge him the move then.

I enjoy while it lasts. There's no team in the league that wouldn't have him. We're blessed.

So a question. Where do you see Bale's future? Left wing or more centrally. I agree with what Sky were saying today. We have a special talent, we need to give him the ball as much as possible. For me...

---------Sandro-----Dembele--------
Lennon--------Bale----------Holtby
----------------Ade------------------

With the front four swapping around as they need to

Agree. Always thought he should play LW however, now, today, I believe that we should be playing him off Ade. The biggest upside if he plays centrally and beats his man, then he's clean through whereas outwide he still has to beat one or two more

Agree. Always thought he should play LW however, now, today, I believe that we should be playing him off Ade. The biggest upside if he plays centrally and beats his man, then he's clean through whereas outwide he still has to beat one or two more

We have to note that AVB has all the players AROUND him helping to give him as much opportunity, both with regards to time and space, as he can get. It helps that, for the most part, the players involved are also threats IF they receive the ball...have to say, there was a moment in the second-half when Azza got played in inside the box, he had elected to play the ball back to the centre of the box for space/on-running player and it was cut out BUT I wished he'd taken a touch or two and leathered it between Krul and the near-post (there was space). I'd like to him shoot a little more, as
a) it would cap off his completeness as a player
b) he deserves

The thing with Bale off the frontman now is that his movement is smarter. If he continues there, some refs are going to have serious decisions to make!

Well, that's Bale done as a left winger/midfielder now, after that second goal. Looks like AVBs sandpapering of a square peg might just work!

I think we will have at least one more season out of him.

He seems the homely type and has a new daughter, plus if we can get CL, then who knows.

Either way he's already given us 5 years... 6 or 7, couldn't argue with that and I wouldn't begrudge him the move then.

I enjoy while it lasts. There's no team in the league that wouldn't have him. We're blessed.

May in my opinion, as long as he goes abroad who would want to hold the guy back.

Plus, I'll always have this, my son as mascot walking out with Gareth Bale (thanks Dub Dan for the capture)
[video=youtube_share;jeLZ9hDvbzU]http://youtu.be/jeLZ9hDvbzU[/video]

Everything depends on us securing CL football. If we secure it this season, I'm absolutely sure Bale will be around till summer 2014 at the very least. I also wouldn't bet against him signing a one-year extension to his contract over the coming summer or as the 2013-2014 season progresses, just to ensure that 'three years on his contract' leverage still exists even if he stays around for another year. Then, everything points to a monumentally profitable deal with most likely Real Madrid, and all parties will be reasonably satisfied. We will have seen him at the peak of his powers for two seasons (this one and the next, which is probably the most we can hope for), Madrid will get a fully developed player, Levy will receive an earth-shatteringly large fee and a 24 or 25 year-old Bale gets to spend the prime years of his career with one of the continent's biggest teams.

Plus, him staying combined with us till 2014, combined with the revenue gained from securing CL football will most likely see us sign a replacement for him (or promote one from the youth team, if we have a spare Bale lying around (http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/bankoniva/files/2011/11/ken.jpg), and bed him in over the course of the next season, ensuring the impact of his departure will be minimized.

If we gain that CL spot, this is assuredly going to happen. All I can add to that is that I hope we win a trophy, either this or next season, so Bale has a memento of his time at Spurs.

If we do not gain that spot, however, his future becomes infinitely murkier to predict, and this seemingly unassailable plan will be blown to smithereens.

Sigh. Modern football.

Personally, I can see us extending his contract offering him 150k before we ever sell him IMO. Bale is a special talent, Tottenham shouldn't give him up without a fight. An extra 50k a week could be found, or 2.6m a season considering the next TV contract it can be done as a one off. I honestly wouldn't see Levy doing it for anyone else, even Modric if he was still at the Lane.

Everything depends on us securing CL football. If we secure it this season, I'm absolutely sure Bale will be around till summer 2014 at the very least. I also wouldn't bet against him signing a one-year extension to his contract over the coming summer or as the 2013-2014 season progresses, just to ensure that 'three years on his contract' leverage still exists even if he stays around for another year. Then, everything points to a monumentally profitable deal with most likely Real Madrid, and all parties will be reasonably satisfied. We will have seen him at the peak of his powers for two seasons (this one and the next, which is probably the most we can hope for), Madrid will get a fully developed player, Levy will receive an earth-shatteringly large fee and a 24 or 25 year-old Bale gets to spend the prime years of his career with one of the continent's biggest teams.

Plus, him staying combined with us till 2014, combined with the revenue gained from securing CL football will most likely see us sign a replacement for him (or promote one from the youth team, if we have a spare Bale lying around (http://bloggar.aftonbladet.se/bankoniva/files/2011/11/ken.jpg), and bed him in over the course of the next season, ensuring the impact of his departure will be minimized.

If we gain that CL spot, this is assuredly going to happen. All I can add to that is that I hope we win a trophy, either this or next season, so Bale has a memento of his time at Spurs.

If we do not gain that spot, however, his future becomes infinitely murkier to predict, and this seemingly unassailable plan will be blown to smithereens.

Sigh. Modern football.

I agree with you BUT for some reason I think he would stay one more season - providing we would sign one or two really good players who would help us succeed in going even for the title - which wouldnt be impossible with him in the team and a clinical goal scorer.

He is still 23 give it until 25 and like you say he goes to Madrid at his peak or near his peak. He seems intelligent enough to realise that he can continue learning here and be better positioned in a year or two.

Another thing and it is a side note - I genuinely would not be confident of having 60m for Bale I wouldnt imagine that a) we would invest it all on two or three top quality players and b) we would get anyone even remotely close to Bales talents.

Personally, I can see us extending his contract offering him 150k before we ever sell him IMO. Bale is a special talent, Tottenham shouldn't give him up without a fight. An extra 50k a week could be found, or 2.6m a season considering the next TV contract it can be done as a one off. I honestly wouldn't see Levy doing it for anyone else, even Modric if he was still at the Lane.

Feasible, but unlikely. It will involve bumping up everyone else's wages a fair amount as well, and telling prospective new signings that we have a wage cap won't work any more when they retort 'yeah, but you pay Bale 150k and I think I'm as good as Bale', even if said prospective signing happens to be Pascal Chimbonda.

On second thought, especially if that new signing happens to be Pascal Chimbonda.

But yes, it'll bump our wages to turnover ration above the 60 percent mark (it's currently 56 percent, if I recall correctly), and that's a risk Levy probably won't want to take.

We'll most likely try to extend his contract, and offer him 100k a week + signing on fee. Max 110k. Beyond that, it's difficult to contemplate.

I agree with you BUT for some reason I think he would stay one more season - providing we would sign one or two really good players who would help us succeed in going even for the title - which wouldnt be impossible with him in the team and a clinical goal scorer.

He is still 23 give it until 25 and like you say he goes to Madrid at his peak or near his peak. He seems intelligent enough to realise that he can continue learning here and be better positioned in a year or two.

Another thing and it is a side note - I genuinely would not be confident of having 60m for Bale I wouldnt imagine that a) we would invest it all on two or three top quality players and b) we would get anyone even remotely close to Bales talents.

Again, it is possible. But unlikely. Predicting the future is generally a mug's game, but occasionally it can be done, providing you use the most conservative, safe estimates. And the safe estimates say he'll be off in 2014, because by that point he'd have given us seven years, and would want to maximise his earning potential at Madrid, which means agreeing to one 4-5 year contract upon signing for them (which would be effective in deterring suitors till he turns 28 or 29, when his contract would only have one or two years left), and then signing an extension that will take him through his late twenties and into his early thirties, which are commonly held to be the golden years for a footballer, thus guaranteeing higher wages over this second period.

If I were him, I'd probably do the same. If he leaves in 2015, he'd be 25/26, which would mean just the initial bumper contract, probably followed by an extension on the same wages or lower. That one year makes a difference.

If he genuinely loves the club, or if we're challenging for the title/European honours, that might persuade him to stay another year beyond 2014. But it's far from certain. Hence the safe estimate, based on his earning potential.

The golden optimistic/unlikely scenario would have course entail our qualification for the Champions League through our league finish this season resulting in Bale being happy to stay.
The new TV deal and the Champions League qualification coupled with the lucky Defoe/Ade/Damiao escape finally convinces Levy to make a couple of significant summer signings that elevate us to the level whereby we are capably carrying out dual campaigns with success in both the PL and CL next season. The rise in stature of the team negates any need for Bale to immediately press for a move due to growing ambition and he happily responds to AVB's signing of a contract extension with one of his own.

Oddly enough, me and my buddy were talking about this yesterday. Over a few beers, admittedly. But we were discussing what the next decade would hold for Spurs,the best case and the more realistic case scenarios.

Our combined best-case one (taking into account realistic possibilities,historical league/cup performances and fluctuations over the decades) looked something like this;

2012-2013; finish 4th ; Work begins on new stadium

2013-2014; AVB signs two year contract extension; Bale signs two year-contract extension; Spurs buy young, future replacement for Bale; Spurs finish 3rd; Win FA Cup

2014-2015; Spurs win Community Shield; Spurs finish 4th; Spurs win League Cup; Spurs get to CL knockout round

2015-2016; Spurs move into partially-completed stadum; Spurs sell Bale for 45-50 million pounds to Real Madrid; Replacement, now versed in system and given experience over past two years, slots in seamlessly; AVB signs one year contract extension; Spurs get to CL quarter-finals; Spurs finish 3rd

2016-2017; Spurs finish stadium construction; buy a marquee player or two to herald new age; team performs to full potential; Spurs win CL; Spurs finish 2nd.

2017-2018; AVB leaves amicably for Real Madrid/Barcelona, in keeping with his 'retirement by 45' career plan; Spurs replace him with old, experienced successful boss on three year contract, with a view to replacing him with Freund at end of that duration.

2018-2022; we win the league at some point in these four years.

That's the best case. The more sober, realistic case is this;

2012-2013; Spurs finish 4th; stadium construction begins
2013-2014; Bale signs one-year contract extension; AVB signs two year contract extension; Spurs sign replacement for Bale ahead of time; Spurs finish 3rd, win FA Cup, get to CL knockout round.
2014-2015; Bale sold to Real Madrid for 45-50 million pounds; Spurs finish fourth, get to CL knockout round.
2015-2016; Move into partially completed stadium; AVB signs one year contract extension; Bale replacement gets into full swing; marquee signing; Spurs finish 5th, win league cup, get to CL quarter-finals.
2016-2017; move into fully completed stadium; marquee signing; ENIC sells up at last to prudent foreign owner; Spurs finish 2nd, win FA Cup, get to EL quarter-finals.
2017-2018; AVB leaves for Real Madrid/Barcelona, in keeping with his 'retirement by 45' career plan; Spurs finish 4th under unknown new boss
2018-2022; impossible to predict

I know they just look like ramblings. Just thought I'd share them anyway.

Forgot. Worst case scenario;

2012-2013; Spurs finish 5th; construction delayed on new stadium as move for sponsors breaks down
2013-2014; Bale leaves for Real Madrid for fee of 45-50 million pounds; Spurs struggle without him; finish sixth; Construction begins on reduced capacity stadium in order to cope with lack of sufficient funding,
2014-2015; Spurs lose couple of stars as dissatisfaction with lack of CL football grows; Spurs finish 5th.
2015-2016; AVB leaves after contract allowed to expire; Freund immediately takes over; inexperienced, leads Spurs to eigth/tenth.
2016-2017; Freund sacked, new manager appointed; Spurs move into partially completed stadium; finish 7th.
2017-2018; stadium complete (poss. 47-55 thousand capacity); Spurs finish 6th.
2018-2022; we begin another slow, steady climb up the table/ lose the plot completely and get relegated.

Feasible, but unlikely. It will involve bumping up everyone else's wages a fair amount as well, and telling prospective new signings that we have a wage cap won't work any more when they retort 'yeah, but you pay Bale 150k and I think I'm as good as Bale', even if said prospective signing happens to be Pascal Chimbonda.

On second thought, especially if that new signing happens to be Pascal Chimbonda.

But yes, it'll bump our wages to turnover ration above the 60 percent mark (it's currently 56 percent, if I recall correctly), and that's a risk Levy probably won't want to take.

We'll most likely try to extend his contract, and offer him 100k a week + signing on fee. Max 110k. Beyond that, it's difficult to contemplate.

A few things.. What makes you think other lesser stars will be bumped up, when there is no evidence anywhere to support this.
New player as good as Bale signing for Tottenham... do me a favour..isn't happening.. not unless at least 5 other clubs dont want said player.. The Chimbonda bit is nonsence.. Levy isn't stupid.
Our ratio is 56% (your figs) but thats without new TV money which is at least 30m, raising to 50m. 2.6m is a small chunk out of that.. not forgetting Champions League money.. which if we get to knock out stage is another 25m..suddenly that 56%.. becomes nearer 30%.
His current deal is said to be 6 figures already..150k imo is acheiveable for that special home grown player that has us already in his heart.. as said Levy would not offer to just anybody. Bale is the catalyst the club needs also for the bigger picture.. the new stadiun. Bale is the poster boy for the premier league.. one could argue the new beckham. The upside is huge keeping a player like him and ultimately would be cheap at 150k a week. Exposure could be massive for naming rights.. sponsorships down the line. For this reason he would not leave because its a money issue. He leaves to win things now. Levy would be mad not to match offers he may get.

I don't know how short sales and merchandising is working out for us, but, I can see an uphill slope of a lot more Spurs shirts being sold due to Bale. He is one of the most talked about players in the Premiership, exciting to watch and young. If there is indeed that uphill spike in Spurs shirt sales, which can be attributed to Bale, then perhaps this will help to pay his higher wages.

Back